How to use (2) MS Bands with (2) Lumia 950 phones and one MS account

patrick beauchemin

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I have two - Lumia 950 phones. We use the same Primary MS account on the phones for the sole purpose of being able to auto upload photos/videos to the same OneDrive account from both of our phones. This has been working pretty good.

Now the problem. We just purchased two - MS Bands 2. I set up mine, paired to my lumia and went to set up hers (tried pair her band 2 to her lumia) and it looks like it wont let me have 2 bands connected to the same account. Please tell me that I'm missing something here and there is some sort of setting I've overlooked.

Regards,
Patrick

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Nope... as far as Microsoft Health is concerned, one Microsoft Account per person. Even if you could get both bands to upload to the same account, how would you determine whose data you're looking at?

You might want to consider a separate MS account per phone, you can share the photos folder of each account with the other user. Photos would upload independently, but you should be able to get to all of them from either device. Hopefully someone who's actually done this will verify that it works. (answer based on my understanding of how it works, not personal experience)

patrick beauchemin

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
To answer your question, I had half expected the ability to create individual profiles for the bands and track the data separately.

Regarding using separate MS accounts on each phone, as far as I know, a MS account maps to its own onedrive. There is no work -around that I know of where you can have separate MS accounts and have them both upload to the same Onedrive.
example:
account1 can only upload to a OneDrive associated with account1
account2 can only upload to a OneDrive associated with account2

you cant do the following scenario:
account1 upload to a OneDrive associated with account1
AND
account2 upload to a OneDrive associated with account1

That scenario makes it difficult for my wife and I to have two windows phones, take our pictures and have them all upload to the same location and share the same location with our families. it's the reason I setup both phones with the same primary Microsoft account.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like I need to return my MS bands.
great...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Another option would be to setup the second MS account on a Windows computer, and use that to sync the second band for the second user.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you not running into other issues? You will.

Doubled phones backing up to one account? Same text bin? Access to the same email bin?

Restore after reset will be a nightmare. Whose Start Screen and App list will you get? IDK and it would be a crap shoot.

I'd run separate accounts, put whatever photos you want to share into a special folder on PC and dip into that.

patrick beauchemin

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
actually backing up phones using the same account is not an issue. Each phone shows up with its own individual backup in OneDrive (including Apps and start screens)
I have restored, upgraded my wife and my phone several times and have had no issues.
As for texts - as long as you turn off Text back up to onedrive, my wife and I don't see each others texts.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding put whatever photos you want to share into a special folder on PC but that's just a nightmare. My wife and I take several gigs of photos a month and having all of them upload to one location where we can easily send one share link to folks is the only option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes