Developing WP8.1 Apps on Win10 Possible???

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I am planning to upgrade my current Windows 8.1 Pro setup to Windows 10 on my main machine (i know it is not a good idea) specially after Microsoft made the Windows 10 dev tools available today. One thing is keeping me from doing this is the fact that i am developing Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 apps on this machine, so my question is: can i still develop those apps (WP8.1 and Win8.1) on Windows 10 with VS 2015?

Can you provide me with detailed info on this please.

Thank you

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am planning to upgrade my current Windows 8.1 Pro setup to Windows 10 on my main machine (i know it is not a good idea) specially after Microsoft made the Windows 10 dev tools available today. One thing is keeping me from doing this is the fact that i am developing Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 apps on this machine, so my question is: can i still develop those apps (WP8.1 and Win8.1) on Windows 10 with VS 2015?

Can you provide me with detailed info on this please.

Thank you
Yes...you can develop apps for 8.1 for both PC and WP but wait for the official consumer verision of win 10 to release it would be a stable build and not crash like a technical preview build.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
What i mean also is does VS2015 support developing apps for WP8.1 and Win8.1??
No I havent but its quite unnatural for visual studio 2015 to drop support for windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1.
I mean wwindowsp phone 8.1 is still the latest commercial version available for consumers and developers can upgrade their visual studio to higher versions but that doesnt mean that lower versions would not be suported

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
See i believe that your reasoning is logical but the problem is that i read a vague statement about the system configurations required for developing Windows 10 apps and Windows 8.1 (PC and Phone) apps. The problem is i cant find it anymore (yes i searched my browser history) and it is this statement that made me ask the WPC community for help.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
See i believe that your reasoning is logical but the problem is that i read a vague statement about the system configurations required for developing Windows 10 apps and Windows 8.1 (PC and Phone) apps. The problem is i cant find it anymore (yes i searched my browser history) and it is this statement that made me ask the WPC community for help.

Well in that case someone more experienced in this can help..anyways...

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Found my answer here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d180b8e3-3630-4fcc-b955-165b48a21f1f/existing-windows-or-windows-phone-app-at-windows-10?forum=winappswithcsharp

So yes, you can develop from Windows 8.1, WP8.1 and Win10 (PC, Phone) on a machine running Win10TP.

Good luck to our developers.

I was sure you can do that from the first because if they didn't allow it...none of the developers would be attracted to use it...moreover some of them maynot be too interested to put their hands on the universal app ecosystem at such a early stage!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos