How does this new laptop compare to the newest one from Apple's newest laptop?
    05-29-2017 07:26 PM
    hey navidtrinidad, theres quite a lot to list so instead ill direct you to this article from digitaltrends which compares them: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ith-touch-bar/ one obvious difference though is one has a touch bar and the other has a touch screen.
    05-29-2017 07:35 PM
    @navidtrinidad
    I would say Microsoft's Surface Laptop is a direct competitor to Apples MacBook Air as opposed to the Pro version. They're both lite yet powerful for their size.

Microsoft's Surface Book on the other hand would be a direct competitor to Apple's MacBook Pro.

The Surface Laptop and the MacBook have their differences, and the OS itself plays a huge part in that.

To me, it's a personal preference since your choosing Mac OS over Windows 10 (S or Pro). Both laptops are great to work with and both have very similar specs, so they compare in many ways but differ in as many ways as well.
    Last edited by Josiah23; 05-30-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    kaktus1389 and rdubmu like this.
    05-29-2017 11:07 PM
    What @Josiah23 said, + that the Surface Laptop has a touch screen and has more innovative design in my opinion.
    Josiah23 likes this.
    05-30-2017 08:16 AM
    Generally, Mac is a bit expensive than Windows and the MacOS still lack some necessary applications to keep our experience satisfied. The specs are also a bit lower than the Surface line.
    05-30-2017 02:07 PM
    With no Doubt Surface is the best portable piece in the market right now ! easy, reasonable price , pencil , usb, attach to external screen, full windows experience and Windows 10 is growing fast and is doing a great job so it a great tough competitor to mac ,all other windows laptops and the 2 in1 that are in in the market !
    05-30-2017 02:26 PM
    This part of the world MAC has no role..neither it had !....Sri Lanka
    05-31-2017 02:55 PM
    My opinion on either the Surface Laptop or MacBook is biased as I'm a Microsoft through and through but I'll add this.
    As already mentioned both laptops are really similar and the difference would be the OS.
    Whether you prefer working with IOS or Windows you'll lean towards one of the laptops but keeping in mind that the "all mobile" direction that Microsoft is taking, I'd opt for the Surface as I think Microsoft will do a come back on the mobile scene once they have release the last piece of the jigsaw "Surface Phone" with that being able to work across platform on the same OS.
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-31-2017 05:14 PM
    With no Doubt Surface is the best portable piece in the market right now ! easy, reasonable price , pencil , usb, attach to external screen, full windows experience and Windows 10 is growing fast and is doing a great job so it a great tough competitor to mac ,all other windows laptops and the 2 in1 that are in in the market !
    hey ibrah i agree. surface devices allow a user to be more productive because the options available to get things done are greater than on the macbook line. ive watched promotional videos from microsoft regarding the surface pro and how artists work, and its amazing to see what they can do on one device. with a mac, besides the mac device a drawing tablet from wacom or another manufacturer and possibly even another monitor are necessary simply because the macbook line doesnt allow for touching the screen and is not a tablet so its hard to be immersed while holding a laptop monitor. that said, while its great the surface laptop has touch its not surface pro immersive but id still rate the surface laptop higher in terms of how productive one can be.
    Ibrah21 likes this.
    05-31-2017 06:24 PM
    That is for sure! Also I feel that the new mac touch bar is just a marketing addition in order to drew more attention to the device but in real life I don't feel that it is that helpful as a full touch screen with a pencil.
    The ipad pro on the other hand with all it is capabilities still it is not that practical because simply you can not get it connected to an external hard drive !
    k1s23 likes this.
    05-31-2017 08:50 PM
    That is for sure! Also I feel that the new mac touch bar is just a marketing addition in order to drew more attention to the device but in real life I don't feel that it is that helpful as a full touch screen with a pencil.
    The ipad pro on the other hand with all it is capabilities still it is not that practical because simply you can not get it connected to an external hard drive !
    hey again. it seems like apple is extremely anti-touch screen but i dont get why. however a touch bar is a weeeeeird design choice that many people dont agree with. the surface team on the other hand is doing a great job with designing products, i feel partly because their products are based around using touch to interact on-screen which adds a new level of immersion. and i agree about the ipad too. after using a windows tablet, using an ipad feels so limited. its a closed-in tablet, as opposed to a surface which is a full-on computer in a tablet form.
    06-01-2017 02:43 AM
    Not having a touch screen actually creates awesome battery life. The MACs have the best trackpads in the business. The MAC OS doesn't need a touch screen. It is your choice between operating systems. MACs can run full applications out of the box. The Magic Mouse is awesome and a great accessory. The Surface Laptop runs 10s and you need to upgrade the to regular Windows 10. Each choice of the MacBook or Surface Laptop is about even. I personally hate the butterfly keyboard on the new MacBooks and MacBook pros. I prefer the surface pro keyboard which I assume will be similar on the Surface Laptop.
    06-01-2017 12:44 PM
    Not having a touch screen actually creates awesome battery life. The MACs have the best trackpads in the business. The MAC OS doesn't need a touch screen. It is your choice between operating systems. MACs can run full applications out of the box. The Magic Mouse is awesome and a great accessory. The Surface Laptop runs 10s and you need to upgrade the to regular Windows 10. Each choice of the MacBook or Surface Laptop is about even. I personally hate the butterfly keyboard on the new MacBooks and MacBook pros. I prefer the surface pro keyboard which I assume will be similar on the Surface Laptop.
    Windows 10 doesn't per se need a touchscreen either. You can do everything perfectly well with a mouse or at least a precision trackpad. However, once you get into to whole touchy touchy, it's hard to get away from it. If Macbooks had touchscreens, people would use them, I'm absolutely certain. But of course, being Apple fans, they'll deny the usefulness of anything they can't have, that's how it's always been.

Also, I hate the magic mouse. Maybe my hands are just too large, but my hand hurts after half an hour of using one. Horrible ergonomics.
    rdubmu, raycpl and JediTWang like this.
    06-01-2017 01:28 PM
    Honestly, I was sceptical about a touchscreen on a windows laptop bringing nothing to the table that a keyboard/trackpad/mouse does. However, you'd be surprised how much better tasks like zooming and zooming feel using one IMO. The drawback for me with touchscreens is the loss of a matte screen which I prefer over a glossy one.
    ajcletus500 and JediTWang like this.
    06-01-2017 09:19 PM
    ...If Macbooks had touchscreens, people would use them, I'm absolutely certain. But of course, being Apple fans, they'll deny the usefulness of anything they can't have, that's how it's always been.
    .. that so accurately describe several of my friends.

... !!
    06-01-2017 09:37 PM
    .. that so accurately describe several of my friends.

... !!
    I mean, rumour has it that iPhone 8 will get wireless charging. How much are you willing to bet that on day 1, the internet will be flooded with praises over this innovation that is finally something the world needs?
    JediTWang likes this.
    06-02-2017 02:51 AM
    I mean, rumour has it that iPhone 8 will get wireless charging. How much are you willing to bet that on day 1, the internet will be flooded with praises over this innovation that is finally something the world needs?
    I honestly wouldn't care as long as it promotes the tech and I see it more often included and not just thought of a way to shave 20 cents off the manufacturing cost.
    JediTWang likes this.
    06-02-2017 09:46 AM
    actually in terms of hardware they are pretty close compared to each other but for such a comparison ,for me the OS that will make the biggest difference.
    JediTWang likes this.
    06-04-2017 04:38 AM
    In terms of reliability and service I think MS needs to catch up with Apple. Even Windows 10 as OS I feel has some catching up to do. not doubt its way more powerful than OSX but some reliability is needed in Windows 10. but I am always inclined towards Windows10 and MS in the end.
    JediTWang likes this.
    06-05-2017 10:58 AM
    The surface laptop design is just simply astounding...it represents not just luxurious design along with uniqueness as a laptop cramming inside all the High end and finest specs and not a screw to be seen anywhere.

Surface Laptop delivers the best of Surface Book—a gorgeous 13.5-inch 3:2 PixelSense display, that perfect keyboard and touchpad, and so on—for much less than a Surface Book. This is one of the best things for me along with the battery life which turned out to be around 11.5 hours if I remember correctly on the surface book with performance base.

Also, For the first time, Microsoft is differentiating one of its Surface hardware products purely by the software it runs, and not by the form factor. So Surface Laptop doesn’t break any new ground from a form factor perspective, it’s just another finest premium laptop. But it’s also the first, and so far only, premium laptop running Windows 10 S. And in releasing this product, Microsoft hopes to inspire other PC makers to similarly adopt this streamlined Windows offering in their own premium PCs.
    Let that sink in, because it’s important buddy.
    Surface Laptop is a peek at our collective future, a decisive step towards ridding us of the pain of the Win32 desktop mess that has been holding back Windows for years. Surface Laptop isn’t a me-too knockoff, just another laptop. It is the opening salvo in the most important battle that Terry Myerson’s Windows business will fight in the years ahead.
    I don't think it's plain simple to compare the two laptops by specs, as it would be clear as to where each one stands, this is more than that. In either way, surface laptop, for me, is in a direction of winning in a steady manner. For now, let's wait and watch!
    06-05-2017 02:28 PM
    Only for the OS and the touchscreen the surface is already the winner...
    06-06-2017 01:41 AM
    @raycpl
    yes! like when apple users vehemently opposed larger displays on iphones (until apple made them larger) or when they decried the stylus (both the surface pen and s-pen until apple made their pencil). there's a reason why the term "isheep" entered the english lexicon so easily.
    raycpl likes this.
    06-06-2017 02:05 AM
    hey ibrah i agree. surface devices allow a user to be more productive because the options available to get things done are greater than on the macbook line. ive watched promotional videos from microsoft regarding the surface pro and how artists work, and its amazing to see what they can do on one device. with a mac, besides the mac device a drawing tablet from wacom or another manufacturer and possibly even another monitor are necessary simply because the macbook line doesnt allow for touching the screen and is not a tablet so its hard to be immersed while holding a laptop monitor. that said, while its great the surface laptop has touch its not surface pro immersive but id still rate the surface laptop higher in terms of how productive one can be.
    interesting thought as i was reading this. i think the reason I've been excited about Microsoft recently is because i see a more dedicated move towards convergence of technology - instead of having to rely too much on having separate things for separate things.
    06-06-2017 02:10 AM
    In some ways you can see Microsoft's rationale in Windows 10 S. The Surface Laptop is irrelevant and actually a compromise in almost every way, but it's just a platform for MS to show off what this is really about - the operating system. This is what they really wanted Windows 10 to be from day 1, but couldn't. This is the next evolution of Windows 10, and will become the standard in the next 2-3 years. This will also be a logical boost for Win10S on ARM, as it's UWP only by default. By this I mean;
    A subtle move away from win32, but still keeping it there if you want to pay for it (reminds me of what MS did with Media Center in Windows 8 as a way to say it's still there for a fee, but in reality, slowly strangle it)
    A push towards the app store for casual users who don't want to pay the win32 tax, meaning MS take their 30% on sales and increase store revenue.
    A nod to developers to say, look, a UWP only x86 device - get writing for UWP, or port your win32 apps over starting NOW
    A boost for their own platforms, as out of the box, it's Bing and Edge only
    A hefty nudge for MS services and ads, which will litter this O/S (it's essentially free to OEM's anyway)
    A challenge to other big developers, saying if you want our customers to use your browsers - rewrite or port them to UWP, as it's the only way they'll be able to access your software.
    A boost for education? Probably not. That's not really what this is about, but if they can get these things into schools, and kids get used to it, and use Bing/Edge all the time because they can't use anything else, that's what they get used to, and that's what they then look for when buying their own devices. They are tomorrows adults after all, with money to spend.

In many ways, MS really seem to have given this some thought. Everything they've tried up to this point with Win8/10 etc has failed. They've tried to push it in the direction they want it to go, but nobody is listening. This is probably one of the only things they've got left, and using Win10S is in some ways very clever, in others a huge gamble that could backfire, but at this stage, MS have little choice.
    06-06-2017 02:14 PM
    I went to the local Best Buy today and was able to finally put my hands on the Surface Laptop. My first reaction was this thing looks ugly. Not a fan of the fabric cover. No SD card slot was another ding. Screen was nice, Keyboard felt good. I liked that the keyboard was set back and not fully forward - gives you more of a palm rest. Disappointed there is no finger print reader. Honestly, if I were to spend the money, I would either get a Lenovo or MacBook Pro. I can do everything I need to do on either for similar money. I am beginning to lean towards the MacBook Pro because I can run Parallels and full Windows 10 Pro and MacOS. Apple hardware tends to last a longtime before you really need to upgrade. Plus, integration with iPhone.

Until MS gets the mobile piece worked out, I'll be on iPhone and prefer the integration and features. iPhoto manages pictures way better than Microsoft.

Just my thoughts and experiences.
    06-12-2017 04:52 PM