10 "Family" Share Feature

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but think about it, very annoying at the same time, say you wanna play Watch Dogs (^^) but your friend is playing it right now through your shared library.. you end up getting a nice warning "Can't play this right now because it's being used by X" not a nice scenario really, so it really needs to be seen first to understand what the family plan really is, if it comes with such a straight restrictions i would think twice before sharing my games with anyone, i want to play my games when i want, being unable to play because someone else is playing your game right now is not nice at all.

hmm well the xbox site news thing says

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." well that says ALWAYS. if you couldn't play your games you are the owner whenever you want at anytime you want (you still are the owner anyway) only because someone else is playing it then I don't think it would say "always". but of course we will have to wait for xbox one to be released to see how it will really work, they haven't shown or go much on detail in this kind of stuff. but it says "always"

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." well that says ALWAYS. if you couldn't play your games you are the owner whenever you want at anytime you want (you still are the owner anyway) only because someone else is playing it then I don't think it would say "always". but of course we will have to wait for xbox one to be released to see how it will really work, they haven't shown or go much on detail in this kind of stuff. but it says "always"

If that's true, that would be beyond awesome consumer-wise.

Sounds too good to be true actually.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
And those 10 can only loan to another 10 and so on and so on... with no limit on friends lists and a bit of cooperation with your "family" you could technically have every game available almost always available.

That's a lot of carrying game discs around to peoples houses to loan games via PS4 the airfares alone just wouldn't be worth it.

Doubtful that's how it's going to work, would be a bit to ridiculous don't you think? :) Probably more like a 10 limit overall, so your friend still shares the same limit as you, if you invite him, he also has 9 invites left, that's more likely :) Eitherway even that is freaking awesome, i don't get why people are completing ignoring this incredible feature.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its being ignored because its a potentially positive news story. Only negatives get ms in the press at the moment
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

MastrMeatWad

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I found this feature top shelf. It is a shame so many people are so quick to dog the Xbox One without knowing everything about it. The "used" game dilemma and access once every 24 hours is the focus. Forgetting that 3rd party publishers that decide to limit resales will do it on both systems.

Anyway, on topic, this is very cool. I am a cheapassgamer ;), and would the idea of sharing my games and 'families' games. Why worry about reselling games if you have 10 family members that share. It takes a village.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I agree with Winning Guy when he says it sounds too good to be true... but, at the same time... maybe that's a benefit of being locked-in to 24 hour check-ins and the process to sell your games?

The way I've been assuming it will work, because they keep stressing "family members can access your shared library", is that you just remove a current game you are playing from your "shared" list so no other family member can play it and yu wouldn't be locked out from playing. OR, They could also put in a system where if the content owner (me!) wants to play the game, it does an insta-save for the family members currently playing it, and gives them a courtesy message letting them know that the content owner has priority access to that game... something like that. That type of scenario allows for you to "always" have access. OR, maybe you can always play, and one other family member can also play at the same time, but you just can't be in the same games together (i.e. same multiplayer lobby, or whatever).

This is an amazing feature. My brother is EXTREMELY limited in his scope of games, but when he was over for Christmas and saw me playing Skyrim, he was hooked, bought it, and now we talk about it all the time. Point is: I can now showcase games for him without any upfront cost for him at all... and I assume if he likes it enough, he will purchase his own copy so we can game together. I know I want to try out the new FIFA 14, but I'm not interested enough to purchase it without playing - as my brother is. He will share the game with me so I can try it out.

This is the power of the Xbox One.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that being in one family makes you unable to join any other family, though.

I don't know if it's that. I think it's more that if you are sharing a game from someone else's license, you cannot offer to share it. If I buy a game and can share it with up to 10 other, I can share it with you and 9 others, but I can't share it with you and 9 others, then have you share it with 10 others as well. you might be able to be in multiple families, but only one person (the primary license holder) would be allowed to control sharing, with a 10-person limit on it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If that's true, that would be beyond awesome consumer-wise.

Sounds too good to be true actually.

I agree it sounds too good to be true. However, that could literally mean that games end up costing an average of $6 per person, if you are in a network of 10 friends who can respectable share games together (especially if 2 can play at the same time). I mean, if this was true, it might single-handedly be a good-enough feature that I would suck up my distaste for the required Kinect and all of that to support such an amazingly consumer-friendly thing.

That, though, is why I think that it is too good to be true. Not to change this to "bash Microsoft," but their actions thus far haven't been ones that sit well with me, and the general appearance here has been to minimize game sharing and lost sales via used games, so basically allowing each user to give away 9 copies of a game seems to totally circumvent that plan. Though 9 people might not share Call of Duty: Ghosts because they all want to play online together, I would easily see maybe those 10 people paying for just 5 copies, which would allow all 10 to play together, if the whole "you and a family member at once" portion is correct.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Winning Guy when he says it sounds too good to be true... but, at the same time... maybe that's a benefit of being locked-in to 24 hour check-ins and the process to sell your games?

The way I've been assuming it will work, because they keep stressing "family members can access your shared library", is that you just remove a current game you are playing from your "shared" list so no other family member can play it and yu wouldn't be locked out from playing. OR, They could also put in a system where if the content owner (me!) wants to play the game, it does an insta-save for the family members currently playing it, and gives them a courtesy message letting them know that the content owner has priority access to that game... something like that. That type of scenario allows for you to "always" have access. OR, maybe you can always play, and one other family member can also play at the same time, but you just can't be in the same games together (i.e. same multiplayer lobby, or whatever).

This is an amazing feature. My brother is EXTREMELY limited in his scope of games, but when he was over for Christmas and saw me playing Skyrim, he was hooked, bought it, and now we talk about it all the time. Point is: I can now showcase games for him without any upfront cost for him at all... and I assume if he likes it enough, he will purchase his own copy so we can game together. I know I want to try out the new FIFA 14, but I'm not interested enough to purchase it without playing - as my brother is. He will share the game with me so I can try it out.

This is the power of the Xbox One.

While your suggestion seems like a likely manner of solving it, I think it would contradict the wording of "[y]ou can always play your games," along with the part that follows: "any one of your family members . . . at a given time." In my opinion, that is a semi-concrete statement that the primary licensee and one family member can always play. That WOULD make some sense, with the idea that this "always connected" experience would promote a more social gaming experience as well.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I think some of you are getting confused when they state "any one of your family members." That doesn't mean anyone like everyone from that special "family" list. It means any one of the ten can access the game, not all ten at the same time. Since you're the primary owner of the game...only you and one friend can access the game at the same time.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not confused on that. However, the one thing that will need crystal-clear explanation before I buy into this is are YOU one of the 10? They say "one of your family," but are you included in that? They might mean that if you are playing, you are both the "always able to play" party, along with the "any one of your family" party. We'll see before too long.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I really hope it is you and another person being able to play. That would be really awesome. I like playing madden, but I don't buy it, but my old college roommate does. I'd love to be able to check it out through his shared library...and possibly play him too...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys

I just made an account so I could share some info about the family share I found on another forum.

https://twitter.com/xboxsupport2/status/345199493903421440

View attachment 35664

Microsoft is taking sharing to the next level lol ... they really need to market the hell out of this.
HOLY. FREAKING. %$#@!

They just made this 10x better... it was already awesome, but this just makes it 10x more awesome. This really does sound too good to be true. That's an official account, yes? *looks at the Twitter page more closely* YES IT IS! Woah. Now I can play multiplayer FIFA against my brother without purchasing the game myself. I never was going to buy it anyway, but I wanted to at least demo it.. so they're saying I can play at the same time as him? So we can play an online match together?!? Incredible! Well worth the 24 hour checks (haven't had loss of internet for more than 5 hours at a time anyway, twice in the last year that I know of). This is huge.

Microsoft sucks at marketing and PR though, not gonna lie. They're really good about quietly mentioning some feature quickly in an interview or wherever and not really mentioning it again. The blogs and gamers will have to take over on this one... but right now, everyone is a little anti-MS so this won't come out for a while IMO. They really do need to market this. Wow.

Just took a screenshot and saved the URL. We need to save this proof and spread the word when things die down a bit :) Sorry, I'm a bit too excited at the moment... wow...

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys

I just made an account so I could share some info about the family share I found on another forum.

https://twitter.com/xboxsupport2/status/345199493903421440

View attachment 35664

Microsoft is taking sharing to the next level lol ... they really need to market the hell out of this.

Aw my god it's still sounds far to good to be true, but what's still questionable is the first answer "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed." As there was no game example i have no idea what kind of game mechanics this would apply too, and if devs wanted they could design their games in such a way to make this feature not work?
They need to make a another blog post just for this feature!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Aw my god it's still sounds far to good to be true, but what's still questionable is the first answer "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed." As there was no game example i have no idea what kind of game mechanics this would apply too, and if devs wanted they could design their games in such a way to make this feature not work?
They need to make a another blog post just for this feature!
That sounds to me like what Microsoft has been saying, that devs can control whether a game can be shared. Like EA games for example, they got rid of online pass. Instead, I could totally see them saying, "Okay, only one person at a time can play this game on the Xbox One", and then some different kind of DRM for the PS4 versions of their games (since, of course, we know that both MS & Sony will be respecting DRM from publishers/developers). Oh yeah, in the same vein of EA loving DRM, I imagine they would be the first publisher/developer to restrict the ability to gift a game once to somebody on your friends list. *sigh*

This family share thing seriously does need its own blog post though.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I sent a 'tip' in to Joystiq about that support page. I hopefully am not the only one that did... this feature needs to be talked about/investigated as thoroughly as possible because it sounds awesome...

PhoenixSoul

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the way they going to support this is that every family member will need a xbox live subscription. Microsoft then gives a cut of that to pubs/devs in return for them allowing people to share the game. Microsoft also said that they would have they own system for used games where publishers and devs get a cut from that as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)