10 Reasons to upgrade to windows 10 mobile for a non-Cortana user

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My brother is adamant on not upgrading his lumia 640. He dislikes change for anything computing related

So I wanted to give him 10 reasons why he should upgrade: can you help me out? We're in that 95% part of the world where Cortana does not exist. And he does not use Facebook app.

So let's hear the reasons :cool:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Some useful add-ons are voice to text, timer is now built in, along with the flashlight. To me, voice to text is awesome though!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
he might find the flashlight part useful, don't think the voice to text would excite him

Hmm okay. I forgot to say that he can really customize the action center. On 8.1, you had a few choices. Now there's a lot more. Do you know if he uses any apps that might have improved? Like Twitter, Skype, etc? The official Twitter is lacking but not as much as it is on 8.1 lol.

If he uses Skype, this might be good to know: http://www.windowscentral.com/skype-details-its-plans-future-cloud-infrastructure-mind

Last edited:

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I can only give one good reason why I won't upgrade: too unstable resulting in lots of complaints! So until MS solves all hick ups my trusted 830 will stay on 8.1.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Skype will not support W 8.1 on phones from October 2016

Outlook Calendar tile will show up to 3 notifications with AU

Alarms & clocks has timer,stopwatch,alarm & world clock built in.

Inbuilt Voice Recorder in W 10.

8.1 OS & apps might not get support in future.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Skype will not support W 8.1 on phones from October 2016

Outlook Calendar tile will show up to 3 notifications with AU

Alarms & clocks has timer,stopwatch,alarm & wall clock built in.

Inbuilt Voice Recorder in W 10.

8.1 OS & apps might not get support in future.

Perhaps so. :eek:rly:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason to stay on 8.1?
I don't know what to say. It's just new and better, listing all the things that are better is not needed (and it's already been done).
However I am starting to understand people that just don't care about their phone and os and just want it to work and be reliable.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Better UI (improved action centre, notifications, etc.)
Universal Apps (includes nicer MS Apps)
Better performance
Set location to US or UK and use Cortana :winktongue:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is there a reason to stay on 8.1?
I don't know what to say. It's just new and better, listing all the things that are better is not needed (and it's already been done).
However I am starting to understand people that just don't care about their phone and os and just want it to work and be reliable.

Yeah my dad doesn't care about W10M. He likes how Outlook looks like in 8.1 and as long as WhatsApp works, he really doesn't care at all. Aside from WhatsApp and Flashlight XT and a Calculator app, I don't even know what apps he uses LOL. He probably never deals with apps crashing.

Me on the other hand, I went the Insider Route to get my phone there.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's just better. Seriously, I can't even use windows 8.1 after using 10. It makes you realize what an unorganized mess it was. Heck yesterday I did a WDRT reset back to the regular build and I realized how much better redstone is.

Biggest reasons(For redstone aka anniversary):

-Enhanced START screen
-Enhanced Action center
-More customizable: action center/start, etc.
-The settings are better organized and easier to use
-8.1 apps are being phased out. Eventually the backwards compatibility layer on w10m will be removed which will also make it more efficient.
-More apps showing up thanks to UWP.
-Integration with Desktop is improving
-Quiet hours can be used without Cortana/location being on
-Store is way better and easier to navigate.
-Flashlight button in action center. I have used it quite a few times and it's super convenient.
-keyboard track nimble is actually really useful when you get used to it. It becomes second nature to use it quickly for moving focus around.

I don't use Cortana much either. But now that Redstone doesn't require location to be on to use it, it's actually handy from time to time when in the car and wanting send a text or play music etc..
You can also set a different region and just change the language on Cortana.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's just better. Seriously, I can't even use windows 8.1 after using 10. It makes you realize what an unorganized mess it was. Heck yesterday I did a WDRT reset back to the regular build and I realized how much better redstone is.

Biggest reasons(For redstone aka anniversary):

-Enhanced START screen
-Enhanced Action center
-More customizable: action center/start, etc.
-The settings are better organized and easier to use
-8.1 apps are being phased out. Eventually the backwards compatibility layer on w10m will be removed which will also make it more efficient.
-More apps showing up thanks to UWP.
-Integration with Desktop is improving
-Quiet hours can be used without Cortana/location being on
-Store is way better and easier to navigate.
-Flashlight button in action center. I have used it quite a few times and it's super convenient.
-keyboard track nimble is actually really useful when you get used to it. It becomes second nature to use it quickly for moving focus around.

I don't use Cortana much either. But now that Redstone doesn't require location to be on to use it, it's actually handy from time to time when in the car and wanting send a text or play music etc..
You can also set a different region and just change the language on Cortana.

yours is a good list, I didn't know about the quiet hours - that is useful

thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786