101 uses for an abandoned Windows Mobile Device:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What can you do with your MS abandoned 950xl or other W10M device?

1. Spoonrest
  2. Door Stopper
  3. Projector Leveler
  4. Drink Coaster
What other ways can we use these bricks?

For quite a few years now, I've been using my 635 as my GPS. I'm sure it's fine locally because I know the area enough, but I'm not sure if I would trust it on any long trips.

On long drives, I use my 1520 for audio books and podcasts.

I have one more (I'm blanking on the device), but I would use it for camping trips so my main phone didn't get dirty. I don't bother anymore since Android phones are cheap enough.

scarfinv

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Our 950XLs are still going strong at 2 years of age. And I still get people drooling over my camera. My 80+ year old parents are using our previous 920s, and our original Samsung Focus!

Capricornius71

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Let see well my wife has a Lumia Icon and I have a HP elite X3 and my stepson has the Alcatel idol 4s soooo now hang on but we are going to ...... And I am serious we are gonna use them ( gasp!) . My wife has had her lumia icon in an otter box since day one It looks brand new. Me and my step son just got our phones 2 months ago. And if it wasn't for the fact that I cracked the screen on my ex 3 by the way if anybody knows how to get it fixed. Please let me know. We're gonna use them.

ocdtrekkie

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm buying a new Windows Mobile device tomorrow, but Windows Central is really selling the narrative hard here. Jeez you guys sell out fast. Why is Windows Central still a thing? Just save us the effort and redirect the domain to androidcentral.com

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Keeping my 950 for now as a backup. I tossed my 800 and 920 into the trash a few weeks back. Sort of regretting that decision now, but in all fairness that is about all those phones are worth these days. I had an HTC M8 that I gave away to a friend who was looking for a music player.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I currently have 5 of the 9 windows on mobile devices that I've owned (from 2003 to present). I quite literally went to my storage this morning, before i even saw this article, with the intention of finding those devices and bringing them home. One of them even had fresh parts to refurb it as i had damaged it a couple of months before an upgrade, but wasn't able to commit to the repair at the time. I also found 2 of the 4 traditional cell phones I've owned and will be looking for batteries to get them up and running. This is for nothing more than nostalgia and they take up almost no room in a drawer in my equipment rack. I regret having sold the devices that are missing from the winmo list and may hit ebay to acquire replacements. 1 device was accidentally left behind in a move so that one might be gone for good sadly. While I'm the organized anti hoarder in nearly every sense, i don't mind holding onto a few small devices. Especially ones that have almost zero resale value and would have to be recycled. May as well boot them up and give my kids a live history lesson lol.

Robur10

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
"No real use anymore"???

You guys have a perverse relationship with technology. A 950XL still gives me a totally satisfying user experience. Some useless apps in addition lack, but otherwise no doubt that it is better than IOS and Android. And for the next year, at least, it will stay with me. Don't get fooled by Apple and Google and their needs induced.

hilga007

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I’m apparently selling them on here, and also looking for a Lumia 950 to use with a data only SIM in the car for distraction free driving.

Pandora or Spotify + Waze, and no notifications to interrupt my journey!

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I will put my 920, 1020, 1520, 950 and Elite X3 in a pillow case and ask my wife to hit me with it hard every time I think about looking at anything consumer from Microsoft ever again.

Now, on a more serious note: I will keep them, just as I kept all my Palm Pre's.
They are cool memories of good times.
And a reminder on how to not do business :)

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
My son is loving the 950 for taking pictures, Skype with the family, play some games,...

I for one am about to switch from my S8 back to my 950xl to see how it goes.

Love the amount of apps on android but that's just about it...

nhg16

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
My Lumia 620 is absolutely outdated, but it still works properly & is pocketable. So, when I go outside & need a phone for basic phone functions, I use it. GPS & maps work on it faster than on W10M too. Also, it's nice to be used as an alarm. I use My Lumia 950XL as daily driver. I don't need any special apps. Websites satisfy my need. I don't need an android phone right now. So, I can bear with it for one more year. Then, probably I will switch over to Pixel kinda phone. In short my WPs are still in use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz