10149 and my 1520. I'm on the ropes

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Daniel Rubino (with the usually disclaimers) posted a video extolling the virtues of the latest build WinMX 10149 on the Lumia 1520. aka my daily driver. It, like my 920 has been very reliable for me. I've upgraded my 920 as well as my HTC M8 to 10149. Both are running well, my 920 seems to be a little better. I'm on the ropes about updating my 1520 and I think I want to. What I've seen on my 920 and M8 is breaking my defenses down but my 1520 is my daily driver. I'm bobbing and weaving as best I can.

If you finally upgraded after this build dropped, what was the deciding factor for you?

Muhammad-Ali.jpg

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I had it on the previous build anyway and wanted to update asap. My 1520 is also my daily driver and I have to say, barring a few hiccups, Windows 10 in it's current state runs quite beautifully on my 1520. Really looking forward to the improvements on the way.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I decided to give it a shot after giving up on the last build. Glad I did, it is nearly as smooth as WP8 and much smoother then WP8.1. It has very few problems that would be considered more than hiccups, for me. Others may disagree but I would say go for it. But be prepared to lose all your app data and games saves, a hard reset will be needed after installation, as I'm sure you know.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't do it, if I were you.
A beta is a beta (and this isn't even beta), and you probably don't want that on your main device if you use it daily.
Plus, why would you wan't it on your third device. Especially since you've already tried it on the M8.

Win10 still doesn't offer almost anything worth the upgrade for me, so I'm sittin on 8.1 untill it does.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do it, if I were you.
A beta is a beta (and this isn't even beta), and you probably don't want that on your main device if you use it daily.
Plus, why would you wan't it on your third device. Especially since you've already tried it on the M8.

Win10 still doesn't offer almost anything worth the upgrade for me, so I'm sittin on 8.1 untill it does.

The M8 is now back at 8.1 where it will sit till the next build. Too much wrong with that upgrade. Wifi speed is like I was back on slow Sprint again. Can't connect to my MS account and after a reboot and I have to fight to connect to my home wifi, usually a couple reboots. I'm happy the restore tools work but I'm mad tempted to go for it on my 1520.

shamjotisati

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I installed it on my 1520 yesterday. Painfully updated build by build. After installing, it was very slow and was extremely hot. Battery lifer was terrible. After a few hours, it was much better and smooth.

I had to deactivate my Cortana to save battery. ****! I am going to miss the Quiet Hours 😞. Battery life is so good now.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't upgraded my daily driver (830) yet, I've only installed it on my 822. It's the first 10 build that I haven't rolled back from. It's running decently on my 822 and I hadn't been able to say that about any of the previous builds.

I'm still wary of installing on my 830 which is running 8.1 and working great.

Update: I guess I spoke too soon. The battery lost 85% in a few hours just sitting on my desk. Time to roll back.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This build is definitely good enough for you daily driver. I have it on my 1520 and I'm amazed the difference in performance and polish from the previous build. It's really smooth, the animations are nice. There are way fewer bugs than previous builds. I experienced maybe two freezes and some bugs here and there, but overall you'll keep this build on your 1520.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I installed it on my 1520 yesterday. Painfully updated build by build. After installing, it was very slow and was extremely hot. Battery lifer was terrible. After a few hours, it was much better and smooth.

I had to deactivate my Cortana to save battery. ****! I am going to miss the Quiet Hours . Battery life is so good now.

You had to deactivate Cortana? I know you say the phone was hot for a time but have you tried reenable Cortana and see if battery is back to normal? I mean I think these hot phones are because WinXM is still processing your data and not yet ready for use. But have you tried that?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I was also brave enough and I installed in my main phone which is a 1520. But one thing u need to consider is that for much better experience, u need to do a hard reset if you are upgrading from 8.1. It has a bug which bother me a little bit... The glance display setting is missing but is installed. Tried few hard reset and still missing. I think is a bug in this build. Other than that... Pretty good build, that means that the next build will be even more awesome!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had installed 10136 on my 1520 for two days, as I still hadn't gotten any first hand experience of windows 10. It looks pretty, but the battery life wasn't great, and the stability just wasn't quite where I wanted it to be, so I reverted back to 8.1.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll use it for a few days but will go back to 8.1. Still buggy and runs like garbage on my 820 but that's to be expected with an early build. Aside from the keyboard and the expanded (cluttered) action center there's just nothing compelling about W10. If MS figures out their UI and tries not to emulate Android and iOS my opinion will be more optimistic.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I am using it on my daily driver still Friday evening. Did a hard reset yesterday evening and after that it works even better. The only thing that I am really missing after the hard reset are the Glance settings, they seem to be gone. Also I cannot select the mail app to show the number of new mails on the lock screen.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I updated the past few builds but went back to 8.1 in a day or less. 10149 though, has been stable enough on my 1520 that I will likely keep it. I've been running it for 3 days now. For me, it's just the core functionality; phone calls work fine, text message notifications are working properly now, MMS works, I'm able to send and receive e-mail, web browsing works better than it does on 8.1 for the most part, and the vast majority of my apps work. Those few apps that do not are not important to me. The bugs I'm encountering are sometimes live tiles don't update as often as they should for some apps like weather apps; there is no ability to select Outlook Mail count for the lock screen, a few sites don't render properly in Edge such as m.facebook.com, and there are some issues with the Store updating apps and some confusion between the 2 stores, and there are some missing or incomplete features such as selecting custom notification sounds or contact photos. None of these are critical factors to me, though, assuming that they will be fixed in the next couple of builds.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I relented and updated to WP10 on my 1520 yesterday....it's my only phone (apart from an ancient WP7 lumia 800 lurking in a cupboard somewhere) and I rely very heavily on it for business so if it all goes badly wrong I'm pretty much screwed.

24 hours in and I don't really have any complaints. It's a little buggy...some apps hang or take longer to respond than they should, but I can live with that.

Other apps are just clearly not ready for Windows 10 yet...notably my banking app (Halifax UK) is not working at all.

But for me the single biggest annoyance is that Xbox music streaming isn't activated in the new baked in music app yet. It's not a deal breaker but it sux that I'm paying a monthly subscription for a service I can't access on my phone.

Overall, I'd say go for it :)

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Been using all tp builds from inception. 10149 is definitely the best build. They are a few issues but nothing (personally) a real deal breaker. Core functions work. Phone contacts calling email web. Other functions work as well but may have a slight lag in opening. Only extras+info touch failed to update and glance miraculously disappeared. Cortana is wonky. Sometimes she displays info other times she gives you the finger. I can no longer hear Cortana or she can't hear me but this is an ongoing issue from previous build (alot of 1020 920/25 owners have this issue since 8.1 update)
Using a 1020. This is my only device. Overall I'll say this build is an 8.5 versus builds before

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Been using all tp builds from inception. 10149 is definitely the best build. They are a few issues but nothing (personally) a real deal breaker. Core functions work. Phone contacts calling email web. Other functions work as well but may have a slight lag in opening. Only extras+info touch failed to update and glance miraculously disappeared. Cortana is wonky. Sometimes she displays info other times she gives you the finger. I can no longer hear Cortana or she can't hear me but this is an ongoing issue from previous build (alot of 1020 920/25 owners have this issue since 8.1 update)
Using a 1020. This is my only device. Overall I'll say this build is an 8.5 versus builds before

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven