1020 with weird microphone issues when recording video and other apps

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I got a used AT&T L1020 off of Craigslist and everything works great except for the microphone, in specific instances.

​1) When recording a video in portrait mode, no sound is recorded, but no problems in landscape mode.
​2) Voice command does not work. Cortana does not hear me, the message just states "listening...", and eventually times out.
​3) I tried using voice recording apps, and it does not pick my voice either.

​Here is what I've done already:

​1) Soft rest.
2) Hard reset through settings.
​3) Reinstalled firmware through recovery tool.

​It sounds like a software issue to me. Could it Cyan firmware? I'm hoping Denim fixes things. Then again I may skip that, because Denim seems to have broken my 1520 as well. Any suggestions with my microphone problem?

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1020 with wierd microphone issues when recording video and other apps

I have the exact same problem. Tried the same fixes you did and cannot solve. Every now and then the microphone will work but currently it does not. Researching I have seen various explanations such as a hardware failure etc. Not sure what to do. Any insights would be appreciated.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I don't think it's hardware, because I can make voice calls fine. Even Skype video/calls works with no problems.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I can make voice calls also, however I put the call on speakerphone, the other person will only hear static.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Huh... I just tried a test call on speaker, and you're right. What the heck is going on? This doesn't make any sense...

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If there is anybody else out there with the same issue I would love to know if there is a solution. My phone is out of warranty so I can't get it serviced.

Tunno79

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is my understanding anyway. Someone more knowledgeable than I can could tell you which one is which though.

Slinky

I tried landscape and portrait mode for recording and neither would work. For example Cortana cannot hear me.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get this fixed if I send it in for service or if it is even worth the cost of getting fixed given that the phone is out of warranty?

Haile Mecael

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
loads of people are having this problem with lumia phones.
I swapped a really good android phone because i wanted the picture quality of the 1020.
this is amazing but the actual phone is like going back ten years. I have to laugh at i. now someone at microsoft knows how to fix this but after reading hundreds of posts, it looks like no one can be bothered to.
I have never ever picked up an android phone where one of its key components don't work.
The have shipped Cortana to my lumia 1020 but she is bloody deaf mate.
more annoyingly I dont seem to be able to record my voice.
Unlike a lot off people on this forum. I dont think it is the microphone. I think its crap microsoft software.Microsoft are late to the smartphone market and boy does it show.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
loads of people are having this problem with lumia phones.
I swapped a really good android phone because i wanted the picture quality of the 1020.
this is amazing but the actual phone is like going back ten years. I have to laugh at i. now someone at microsoft knows how to fix this but after reading hundreds of posts, it looks like no one can be bothered to.
I have never ever picked up an android phone where one of its key components don't work.
The have shipped Cortana to my lumia 1020 but she is bloody deaf mate.
more annoyingly I dont seem to be able to record my voice.
Unlike a lot off people on this forum. I dont think it is the microphone. I think its crap microsoft software.Microsoft are late to the smartphone market and boy does it show.

People with issues with their phones are a hundred times likely to make a thread about an issue than someone who has never had the issue and doesn't know it exists - hence why you see this as a 'common' problem. It's not though; for every person that is vocal online about an issue, there's at least 500 more users that have no issue. It's just those 500 don't feel the need to randomly make a post saying that.

Defects are rare, but unfortunately do happen with any mass-produced product, especially something as complex as a smartphone. I do feel for those who have a bug with their 1020, it must be frustrating. Almost all Lumia's and Android devices are bug-free, some aren't. If you take any Android phone, say a Galaxy S5, and look at the bugs reported online, you'll probably see many more complaints.

Lastly, using Windows Phone on a 1020 is not - at least in my eyes - like returning to using a phone from 10 years ago. It matches and beats iOS and Android in some areas, in others it is let down slightly, yes. Spec-wise, the 1020 can still hold some ground when compared to other, popular phones, although of course it will be beaten by newer, more powerful flagships - that's just the nature of technology. Whether or not you enjoy using it, though, is down to personal preference - personally, I wouldn't switch to anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte