Possible microphone bug affecting Cortana, video camera and voice input for messaging and OneNote?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Possible microphone bug affecting Cortana, video camera and voice input for messaging and OneNote

I have a Lumia 930 with Denim, and Update 2 from Windows Insider. Though to be honest, I think this was happening with my 1020 before this.

Right now I am having a strange constellation of problems that seem to be related to my microphone. Let me first say that telephone calls work just fine, as does speakerphone and Hey Cortana activation. However there are a few serious problems:
  • Cortana is not fully functional. She launches silently (no beep-boop sound) and will not react to voice input or text input. She serves up Interests just fine but will not execute a search or any commands. I can launch with "Hey Cortana" but I still have the same problems once she's launched.
  • I cannot record a video with the camera. I've tried Lumia Camera and Lumia Classic Camera. Both will take pictures just fine, but neither will record video.
  • Voice input does not work for Messages. I can type them, but when I tap the microphone button it just says "Listening" and ignores all voice input.
  • Voice input does not work for OneNote. I create new note, tap the microphone icon and get an error saying "Something's wrong. There was a problem with this audio recording."
  • Cannot create Video message in Skype. I tap the record button and although it starts counting down my 3 minutes, the image just freezes.

Turning the phone off/on will usually make these problems go away.

UPDATE: I turned the phone off/on and it was fine long enough to test a voice command and voice input for OneNote. I picked it up two minutes later and,the problem is back.

UPDATE 2: I tried a soft reset and again everything worked fine... for a little while. I guess next step is a hard reset. Perhaps I'll take off Windows Insider before backing up and just restore to Denim.

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So no one is having any of these issues? I swear the secondary mic or whatever Cortana needs just stops working almost every day and it is driving me crazy. Maybe it's related running Update 2? I'm considering going back to 8.1 with Denim but reports of bricked phones have me a little nervous.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar issues off and on with my 1020--usually fixed with a soft reset- but that was before the Denim update--and I've only had Denim for a three-quarters of a day now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2