15% of Windows Users are Media Center Users that Can't Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob103

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I still don't see how PlayStation 4 is dominating. Like Xbox has more games, more features, and better support.... And Backwards Compatibility.... How?

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
YES YES YES
I was right
Xbox One will become a YV DVR next Year
"While the Xbox One has transitioned away from its origins as an all-in-one entertainment device, it's not exclusively a gaming device. For those that have free-to-air digital TV tuners in US and Europe, starting next year Microsoft will let you record programs for streaming to any Windows 10 device in the house (or download for watching on the go)."

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
We still want Windows Media Center on Windows 10. Really ? They should just make it an OPTION in the store, Sell it for $29.99 with NO discounts or upgrade options (you can not upgrade to get it).

Tons of people are sticking with 7 or 8.1 to get Windows Media Center, so give them the option to upgrade and be able to access it, if anything it will cause about 6-10% of the global users to not defragment the Windows users.

Cant believe even with 6-10 of users what is clamed, that Microsoft will not support us...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
YES YES YES
I was right
"While the Xbox One has transitioned away from its origins as an all-in-one entertainment device, it's not exclusively a gaming device. For those that have free-to-air digital TV tuners in US and Europe, starting next year Microsoft will let you record programs for streaming to any Windows 10 device in the house (or download for watching on the go)."

That's only for antenna users. Doesn't replace cable boxes or WMC with CableCARD.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
YES YES YES
I was right

The above solution doesn't address the "Whole House" access to Live and Recorded TV nor provide the multiple tuners to allow multiple shows to be watched live and others to be recording. These are features that Windows Media Center has had for many years.

Microsoft starting over from scratch, step one, basic features on yet another mature and developed software solution. "New" not "better"! They seem unable to carry over past knowledge of features to new products?

I'm a long term Microsoft / Windows user. I don't own anything apple or google, but I am puzzled by the business strategy that doesn't build on existing knowledge, features and developments and make the products better by improving on the features.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is NOT listening to us, Microsoft is giving people what they THINK they want but, not what they want.

I still use Windows Media Center every day, It's part of my life and with cablecard, Extenders and tons of TB of storage, I have a lot invested into it. It does make for an amazing whole home and Home theater PC.

Through all the tweets and posts and facebook postings, Microsoft has been clear they do not care about WMC or us who use it any more.

Xbox one ONLY supports OTA, Cablecards are not planned and I would bet they never support them on the Xbox one (Cable labs). It's a high cost to get approval from what I understand, as they have to have a protected path for premium channels.

Well, some 3rd party devs are getting progress of possibly hacking it in and it's not even close but, a major step has been taken. I guess time will tell.

As Microsoft pretty much blacklisted Windows Media Center users, this will be the approach for me to take if this is my ONLY option with Windows 10...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
No, he doesn't, but by chance he has stumbled upon a solution. Anyone with W8 and Media Centre had to have pro at least. So they now have W10 pro. This means the solution is to install W10 and then put W8 back on via a VM. That way you get the lot. All we need now is to get W10 to boot to start screen and the job's a good'un. There must be a way to make a script that we can run at startup to do that. I would rather install W8 and have W10 in a VM but, you know, DX12. If only MS would release DX12 for W8, but they're being pigs about that despite W8.1 still having 2 years of 'new feature' support to go before dropping to security and bug fix support only. Looks like they aren't going to honor that promise.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on my computer, but if I were I'd insert the XKCD cartoon "Wikipedia Protestor" here because of its relevance.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have two computers, My desktop which is still on Won 7 Pro due to WMC being my DVR and a laptop that I have upgraded to Win 10 Pro. I just read in another thread about how to configure Windows update in 10 using the Local Group Policy Editor. I was looking around and saw an option for WMC and how it could be configured to let WMC run. Does anyone know if you disable the block will it let you install Win 8's WMC and allow it to work in Win 10??

If it will that might solve a lot of people's problems, but you can only access Local Group Policy Editor in Win 10 Pro and above.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I used media center for a bit but don't really miss it now.
I have a long time friend who is complaining about media center no longer being available.
This dude literally records and downloads ten times more shows than he could possibly watch.

No offense. But sometimes I wonder how much tv people really need to watch these days to exist. Dang. And judge Judy and springer? I hope that was a joke. You must be really bored and have zero hobbies outside of watching tv to really need that stuff.

ValkMT

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with DavidinCT. I've been using Windows Media Center for 5 years. It is the best whole home DVR in existence. Nothing matches all the features, everything else has issues.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I completely agree with DavidinCT. I've been using Windows Media Center for 5 years. It is the best whole home DVR in existence. Nothing matches all the features, everything else has issues.

Totally, totally agree. None of the alternatives come close when it comes to ease of setting up and ease of use.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
For several years it has been my only DVR. I recently got the Comcast X1 system which advertized 6 tuners but was disappointed that they only have the 4 tuner equipment but they claim that I will get a free 6 tuner model when available. I have used it a few times and although a lot easier to tune than a VCR it is a lot harder to set recordings than WMC. It is also extremely slow in everything it does. WMC is so much easier to work with there is almost no comparison. And I have no option to save any programs to hard disk to watch in the years ahead.

WMC is the best home DVR available today.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I hated Windows Media Center. The first time I ran it was in Vista and it froze. Then in Windows 7 which was more stable it still froze, crashed or would not update anything. I even remember when Netflix use to use it but I could never get it to actually play anything with it freezing I had to use Firefox or Chrome. I did not even like the DVD player as DVD's looked more fuzzier in Windows Media Center, had bad anti-alias and jitters. I used Media Player Classic instead. I actually qualified for a free upgrade to Windows Media Center on Windows 8 on my older Dell laptop but I did not even get it for free. That is how much I hated it.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I love/loved WMC. I've been running WMC on a dedicated HTPC for the last 4 years with less problems than the cable box it replace. I still remember the day the Comcast technician came with the CableCARD, and was blown away leaving me to do the install. I have a 1TB of dedicated HD space, could record up to 4 shows at once, streaming to my XBox 360 in the basement throught Powerline ethernet. It's really sad the Microsoft abandoned this so long ago. I had wished a company like Hauppauge or Sillicon Dust would purchase the rights to WMC years ago and created their own Cable boxes. the HTPC i built puts Tivo to shame.Even right now, WMC is much more powerful and intuitive than current gen cable boxes.

A great feature I've used was installing Amazon unboxed on the HTPC, which allowed me to purchase/rent video on demand or episode from Amazon and watch them directly throught the WMC.... It was a good run

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread came to the end of its usefulness a while ago. The OP quickly stopped posting after the original intent behind making this thread as a whole was called into question and has left behind people that are openly bickering with each other.

We can't change the decision that Microsoft has made about Media Center, and no amount of insults, name calling or general discussion will help with the situation. A much more productive use of everyone's time would be for someone that feels passionately about this situation to make a new thread dedicated to comparing notes on a substitute program or programs. If you can't find one and you have to stick with Media Center, then you should stay on Windows 7 or 8.1 at the moment.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital