1520 screen scratch resistance

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Seems its not very scratch resistant to me. I had my S4 since launch and just sold it and I have dropped it, had my children throw it around, hit it with toys and not one scratch on the screen, not eve hair scratches. My 1520, I had for about 2 weeks, been very cautious since im waiting for a case for it and it is kept in my pocket only with a leather wallet and it has 2 small scratches on the screen somehow .

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Scratches often appear because there is something on the screen and that foreign piece of material
scratches the screen as you use the touch screen with your finger -that's why I always keep it clean.
I've had an 810 for 6 months -same Gorilla Glass 2 screen and 0 scratches (knock on glass)
It is scratch resistant not scratch proof, that sucks tho' :unhappy: probably some dirt or sand in your pocket or on the wallet.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess Gorilla Glass 3 is just that much better. Not sure why they wouldn't put it on the 1520, my S4 screen has been abused by my children without scratches showing up.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess Gorilla Glass 3 is just that much better. Not sure why they wouldn't put it on the 1520, my S4 screen has been abused by my children without scratches showing up.

Not really here is the differences and I don't know what happened but a leather wallet and a bit of sand or or other
hard material between the wallet and the glass is a recipe for scratching
I never put the phone in my pocket with the screen against anything other than the soft lining in the pocket.

The difference in brittleness (determined by Young's Modulus) between Gorilla Glass 2 and 3 is 71.5 and 69.3 GPa respectively.
This is a 3% difference, and barely any difference. Just as a comparison: glass is usually around 50-90 GPa, mother of pearl is on average 70 GPa.
(lower=more elastic, higher=more brittle)
The axial stress (aka Poisson's Ratio) is almost exactly the same, 0.21 to 0.22, which can easily be down to systematic and rounding errors.

The fracture toughness (how hard it is for a crack to elongate/propogate) actually decreased from 0.68 to 0.66 MPa m^0.5, so if you have a crack in your screen, it will spread 3% easier.

And finally, the hardness of the glass did not change. It is just as easy to scratch a Gorilla Glass 2 panel as it is to scratch a Gorilla Glass 3 panel.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I had 2 sgs4 phone (lost one) the 1st one went out drinking with me...oh the fun times we had, and the many falls we both had.........and yet not a mark on the screen.
The second one lasted 3 weeks before a scratch appeared, bit of dirt/sand on a cleaning cloth that I did not see, rubbed the screen to clean it and thats it, not a bad one but a scratch all the same.
In the past I was told to stay away from a pouch case, reason been if and sand /dirt gets in the pouch and you keep taking your phone in and out of it you will mark the screen.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess I will write this up as a freak accident then. I never use screen protectors on my phones and I haven't had an issue with scratches in about 5 years or so and I use a dual layer case with no clip and no pouch just pocket.

Tom Markham

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
My new Lumia 1520 also has 2 small scratches in it. I have only put this in my pocket and treated it like a baby. My iPhone is over a year old without any scratches and I beat the crap out of that. I love this phone but I am now so nervous that it will only get worse.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got a small scratch as well. My fault too, didn't notice that the piece of paper i had folded up in my pocket had a staple on it. I think that created a small scratch right in the middle of the O in Nokia at the top of the phone. It slides about an inch down and I swear it is longer than it was 2 days ago. I'm going to put a screen protector on it to hide it and prevent it from getting larger. Worst comes to worse, I will just replace the screen..

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It might well not be up to the standards of say my old SGS4 but some of the marks are by chance and some by two other things, one been its a bigger screen= more room to make a scratch, and the othe been weight, its bigger and has more weight behind it, anything sharp that you lay this on or move it along will mark faster.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow... I reeeeeally took a look at my whole screen after wiping it down and I can see two very shallow scratches (indentations really) around the nokia label. I guess I'll go ahead and order a zagg shield.

EDIT: nm.. going w/skinomi and getting it from newegg for free shipping. We'll see how this goes.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
its funny, my wife is an iphone girl and she is rough with her phones, but never gets any scratches on her screen. I have a few friends who have iphones and try to be very careful with them, they end up with scratches. I had an htc titan with the original gorilla glass for two years naked and it was almost in mint condition screen wise. That fun took many falls onto stone, concrete, asphault, but i was very lucky in landed on corners or back everytime and the aluminum body held up well. Now i have a 1520 and so far no scratches. I think a lot of it is subconscience habits that people have, they think they are being careful but they arent 100% of the time.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I can tell you that placing it face first in a marble slab, even if irs just sitting there, is a bad idea. Just picking it up off the slab was enough to scratch the corners where it touched

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seems its not very scratch resistant to me. I had my S4 since launch and just sold it and I have dropped it, had my children throw it around, hit it with toys and not one scratch on the screen, not eve hair scratches. My 1520, I had for about 2 weeks, been very cautious since im waiting for a case for it and it is kept in my pocket only with a leather wallet and it has 2 small scratches on the screen somehow .

that's what screen protectors are for.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

bickel

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hawke, i totally recognize your issue, i have almost the same situation here, i had a samsung galaxy s2 for 2,5 years, never used screen protection or a cover and there is still no scratch on it. Since 3 weeks i have the 1520 nokia and today i noticed several scratches on the screen...a big dissapointence...i've been advertising my enthousiasm about the device since day 1 but now i'm sad :-(

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
that's what screen protectors are for.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

When i was looking at the 1320, the sales guy told me you could try cutting the screen with a knife & it wouldn't scratch. By the sounds of it, he was full of it.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
There's not a scratch on mine.
What i noticed with one of my jeans is that it has rivets right above the pocket i keep my phone in, everytime i put my phone in my pocket i take care not to slide it in because that would mean i could potentially scratch the glass from top to bottom.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If (and that should be WHEN) you get a screen protector for it, get one made from Tempered Glass. You won't notice the difference. After all it is glass. But if you scratch it, then $20 replaces it and not $200. I wish I had preordered mine, but it hides the scratches pretty well, it is just the TG isn't curved like the glass is, so the edges are a little gray. I bought a different one from another seller, but haven't tried it yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle