3/9/2013 - Phone updates this morning, now the proximity sensor doesn't work for phone calls

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This morning I had some updates to various things from Nokia waiting in my store. I allowed the updates to be installed as normal but now I have a significant problem. When I make a phone call, the phone immediately goes to black screen and the proximity sensor will not bring the display up to end the call, access the keypad, etc. as long as the phone is either dialing or while a call is connected. You can push the power button, etc. and it will flash the screen for a second but it disappears right away again. As soon as the call disconnects the phone returns to operation as normal.

Is there anyway for me to uninstall these updates? Is there a fix for this that anyone knows about?

I just got the damn phone straightened out from some other problems and it was finally set up perfectly, now this happens. Nokia and WP8 is seriously starting to piss me off. :angry:

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
This is not exactly software realted, but rather a hardware issue. Happened to me several times. The first thing I did was a full reboot of the phone. But the black screen continued, not every call but occasionally. So, I have looked very closelu to the proximity sensor under a bright light, and there was some dust. So, reading the forums, I found out that if u blow into the earpiece in might help. Guess what - it worked.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a jerk but its hard to imagine it being a hardware issue and not related to the updates, since it was perfect up to the point I installed the updates this morning. The very first call I made after those updates are when I had the problem. :confused:

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I saw that article earlier. However, it doesn't state that the proximity sensor problem is related to dust. In fact, it states the opposite.

That all being said, even though they are right next to each other - there is no way for dust to enter the proximity sensor. I couldn’t really believe it either. But Eric found that the proximity sensor and front-facing camera are separated by a wall and sealed up tight, no way for dust from the camera area to work its way to the proximity sensor. So what’s causing proximity sensor problems for users? Your guess is as good as ours at this point.

Thanks though.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have installed every update so far without any issues. The only issue, that I resolved is with the Portico update - when I put Keep WiFi alive setting to ON, the phone freezes. So I have put that to OFF and do not have any more trouble.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
do you have screen protector covering the area right of FFC? mine worked ok for a while and all of a sudden the screen goes all back during calls, I cut off the screen protector covering the proximity sensor problem solved and never came back

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using a screen protector. If the screen wouldn't come on then go back off, I'd be more inclined to think its not related to the software issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb