4 days and I haven't even seen the 3G symbol

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
Against everyone's advice I bought the htc 8X from a foreign country. This just means that i will have to go back to that country if i needed to claim my warranty.
The phone works great. Everything's awesome. But i just haven't been able to get my data connection to work. I've used a lot of phones,the HTC one X, galaxy note, galaxy S2,Xperia play, the HTC desire and I've never had problems with seting up the data connection. Since this is my 1st windows phone,I was struggling with it though I used the "connection setup" on the phone. So I took it to the vodafone office. I thought it might have something to do with the service provider. They checked the settings and said it was all okay. I can't entirely trust their knowledge/skills because I live in a small village and it is a new vodafone office with very inexperienced staff.
I searched all over the net and I only found threads about users losing 3G connection after long periods of inactivity and other related issues.
I, however haven't even seen the little 3G symbol in the notification bar on top. It has never worked so far.
I can't take it back to teh place where i bought it from because its 3000 miles away :/
Please help

adroit9

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So you bought the 8X (unlocked/sim-free, I presume), and you get service with your Vodafone SIM card, but not data? When you go to Settings>Cellular (mobile network/whichever it's called on yours), does it say you're connected to a network? Is Data switched on?

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
@adroit9 yep, its unlocked/sim free and i get service from a vodafone sim card i've had for about 8 years now. And yep I am connected to a network in my settings, data is switched on. I can make calls,sms's everything. Am all over the internet with wifi. Every part of the phone works great except for the data connection

adroit9

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay, then perhaps you need to add an Internet APN. If you look online (Google search), you should be able to find your carrier's APN settings. If you can't find it online, then call your provider and ask a support rep or whatever. Once you locate the info, go to Settings>Mobile Network (if there's no "Access Points" in the Settings list itself (if there is, click on that, then "add" at the bottom)), and click on "Add Internet APN". Enter the Vodafone APN settings, and save the APN.

Hope this helps.

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks adriot9, that surely helps, but that is why i took it to the vodafone office and they supposedly filled in the APN settings. Anyway, like I said before they might have done it wrong. I'll google it and try and re-do it myself. i didn't want to mess with their settings, but now I think I'll give it a shot. Will let you know the outcome. thanks again.

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I just googled the APN settings for my country and the vodafone staff had apparently done it right when i took it to their office yesterday. So now i'm back to square one. Looks like its a problem with the phone. I'm just not ready to accept it though :/

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
ok, thats it, i'm done. I managed to speak to vodafone customer care and they even escalated the matter to higher personnel and they walked me through the settings and again i had had eth correct settings all along. So now it is pretty much confirmed that its a hardware issue with my 8X. I have never been this disappointed. None of my gadgets have ever failed except for one of my PS3s. This is horrible. I can't even claim the warranty on it. :unhappy:
My baby's just 4 days old :/
Lesson learnt: Never ever buy gadgets from a foreign country with no international warranty.

adroit9

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
More likely the phone doesn't support the network bands your carrier uses, than a hardware default. It's that, or perhaps it's not completely unlocked.

Sorry I couldn't help!

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
@adroit9 It supports the network bands my carrier uses. I checked. And like i said,I've used a whole range of phones with this very same sim card. Anyway, thanks so much for your time. I must be really missing out on some small setting. I just hope i figure it out. Will let you know if i find out. Thanks again for trying to help

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't really know if this a stupid question and of any help, but have you installed "Connection Setup" and set your carrier?

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
@adroit9 i just called up the shop where i bought it from in Singapore and I told him my problem and asked him if he's sure the phone is completely unlocked. He got offended and said ofcourse it is unlocked and that it is illegal to lock a phone in Singapore. So that has been cleared up too now.

martan1981#WN

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried switching to 2G only if you get at least E symbol? If there is a problem with 3G antennas, you still should be able to get data over edge.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
@martan1981 yep, i tried switching to 3G as the highest connection. Still nothing on the notification bar, Haven't seen the E or H or 3G symbol so far.
Just one thing.There is this IPV4, IPV6 AND IPV4V6 options right at the bottom of the APN settings... Any idea what that is for? vodafone told me default setting is IPV4.
Meanwhile, as I type, i'm hard resetting my phone with the factory reset option. Hoping that will change things.

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess, you have updated the phone to the latest version of the software and firmware. But if you haven't, you'd better try it - it may help...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital