535 vs 635 (need help to choose)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I would like your input on this.

I'm looking for a phone for my father in law. It will be his first handset and he is a real novice when it comes to tech. Me, and all my family use windows phones, so he will be getting one too.

We have the choice between the Lumia 535 and the Lumia 635. He will be using the phone primarily for flight radar. He may browse the web every now and again, but will almost exclusively use the phone for flight radar.

I am leaning towards the 535 due to the larger screen, but is there something else I should consider? What in your opinion is the trade off? Would the slightly better GPU have any real world affect upon his usage scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Kellzea

TheSteve87

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey all, I would like your input on this.

I'm looking for a phone for my father in law. It will be his first handset and he is a real novice when it comes to tech. Me, and all my family use windows phones, so he will be getting one too.

We have the choice between the Lumia 535 and the Lumia 635. He will be using the phone primarily for flight radar. He may browse the web every now and again, but will almost exclusively use the phone for flight radar.

I am leaning towards the 535 due to the larger screen, but is there something else I should consider? What in your opinion is the trade off? Would the slightly better GPU have any real world affect upon his usage scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Kellzea

You can find a detailed comparison here: Microsoft Lumia 535 vs. Nokia Lumia 635 - GSMArena.com

as you can see, the 635 screen is slightly smaller but still very good, it is equipped with gorilla glass corning and it has the clearblack display (the glance, basically).

The 635 processor is a bit better than the 535 one, you can see it here: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-400-(Dual)-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-200; same for the GPUs, the 635 one is more performing.

Finally, the 635 has LTE support but lacks a front camera.

Since i own a 535 i can tell you that the touchscreen is not the best; there are some issues that you're not gonna get with the 635, since the screen has a better quality. I would suggest you to get the Lumia 635 unless the frontal camera is something you don't want to lack.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure 4g would be of any benefit to him at all really. Plus its uk 4g, so yeah..... Lol.

So unless someone has a ground breaking factoid we have missed, the 535 is winning.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had both the 635 and the 535.
The 635 was trouble free and a joy to use (Sold mine to another member here)

The 535 has given me fits as a tech savvy user.
Everything worked well on the 535 except the touch screen.
Tapping swiping the keypad can be difficult on phones with the multi-touch bug.
My phone is coming back from repair here in the US tomorrow hopefully.
Been without the phone for 6 weeks now.

The 535 is a great size and I found it good as far as basic use.
Rear camera with flash is acceptable.
Wi-fi and data connections were reliable.
There are a few quirks like no camera zoom and no way to start the default camera other than using the pull down shortcut.
(may have been fixed in later updates or on phones recently manufactured)

Both the 635 and 535 are simple devices either will please anyone who may be somewhat intimidated as a new user.
The 5 inch screen, main camera flash and front camera at 5 MP gives the 535 the advantage.

I've mentioned this previously to another member here.
At the very first sign of trouble if you do go with the 535 return it immediately.

Good luck there!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Personal opinion...avoid the 535. You would be better off with the 640 if the price difference is not much. The 535 has a pathetic screen (look and feel) plus it has its own wide spread issues. Plus the CPU is kinda slow, I mean really slow...slow enough that the Lumia 520 felt faster than it. Why gift/suggest a phone to anyone which will either make them throw the phone away or start hating the platform permanently? Well throwing the phone way was a bit of a stretch but you know what I mean.

TheSteve87

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Personal opinion...avoid the 535. You would be better off with the 640 if the price difference is not much. The 535 has a pathetic screen (look and feel) plus it has its own wide spread issues. Plus the CPU is kinda slow, I mean really slow...slow enough that the Lumia 520 felt faster than it. Why gift/suggest a phone to anyone which will either make them throw the phone away or start hating the platform permanently? Well throwing the phone way was a bit of a stretch but you know what I mean.

yup, same here. just fyi, i'm sending my 535 to a reparation center this weekend because of the touchscreen. it seems that a whole version of the phone is equipped with a faulty screen...

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the 535 NO ISSUES with the touch screen, it works as it should. Some seem to have decided that this issue is universal, I'm still not sure if its real or caused by over particular people who would spot the spec of dust under the touch screen (see most phone forums to witness the screen obsession many have). Now I know that will get a few cross, I am currently typing this with my 535 with no problems so can only give my experience which is if there is a touch issue it is not universal.

I'd opt for the 535 the extra ram, the bigger screen, good features to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss