7.8 update, UK, orange, lumia 800

karen phillips

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, has anyone in the UK on orange/EE with the lumia 800 got the official 7.8 update yet. I don't really want to do the Zune trick as I don't really know what i'm doing and scared of buggering my phone up!!! I have checked on the phone under update, but it says none available and I have checked Zune and it tells me my phone is up to date. Thanks, Karen.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You should do yourself a favour and just do the Zune trick and get over with it. I can guarantee you won't bug up your phone because the Zune trick will just reveal whatever update is already waiting on the server to be released to your specific carrier. In other words, doing the Zune trick will give you the update perfectly like waiting patiently, so there is really no reason not to do it.

Also, once you start to install your newly revealed update you will have re-connected wi-fi, thus you will download the full update and everything will be fine! :)

Don't be scared by the fact that your phone is connected to your computer when you do it. Cutting the internet connection will not affect your phone in any way.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, that depends on your computer, really. Is it a laptop or a desktop? Do you have wireless internet or wired internet?

If it is wired, one easy way is simply to pull the plug from your computer. If you have wireless and use a laptop, most laptops have a button that will disconnect it from the internet.

Another way is to cut the power from your router, but if you router is not next to you that is not really practical unless you have someone to help you or you'll have to run back and forth. ;-)

Also remember the following about the trick:
1. It is differenct from computer to computer how long you'll have to allow it to search before disconnecting. I personally waited 3 seconds but some say they waited 7 and so on. Make different attempts.
2. There are 3 updates that together will give you 7.8. You have to do it with each update - one at a time.

SparkyDave

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
There's a much easier way.

Google for Nokia Care Suite, download and install

Connect and scan handset, it will tell you its out of date and prompt you into updating it.

karen phillips

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have actually done it!!! Thought I would give the Zune trick a go. Had to do 3 updates to get to 7.8. Bit tricky with the timing, but got there in the end. Not really sure it was all worth it but I do like having the option to resize tiles. Thank you everyone for your advice

SparkyDave

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Well done Karen! I personally tried the "Zune trick" and it diddnt work for me after numerous attempts. NCS did the upgrade at the first attempt.

One thing to remember about doing this via NCS is that there is only one update, not three as in this case.

lee bragg1

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
14th of Feb, just spoke to orange (ee) and been told it's not going to come out for at least anther 4 months. Took 2 techs to chat to, before the 3rd knew there was even an upgrade available. The other 2 just said that there was no update and i had the latest software. 1 of them even blamed Nokia and said it was there fault it was on a slow role out and ee were in the process of rolling it out. ?rd came clean and said not even started testing at it would be at least mid march before it would be released if it was fine with the orange network. Looks like, phone , broadband and phone are off to O2.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
14th of Feb, just spoke to orange (ee) and been told it's not going to come out for at least anther 4 months. Took 2 techs to chat to, before the 3rd knew there was even an upgrade available. The other 2 just said that there was no update and i had the latest software. 1 of them even blamed Nokia and said it was there fault it was on a slow role out and ee were in the process of rolling it out. ?rd came clean and said not even started testing at it would be at least mid march before it would be released if it was fine with the orange network. Looks like, phone , broadband and phone are off to O2.

You should really do the Zune trick and just update your phone. There is no reason why you should wait for Orange to geit the finger out and push the update. And from what you describe, it sound like the people you spoke to have no idea what they were doing. For your own sake, make it happen yourself. ;-)

If you are not sure how, send me a personal message and I'll be happy to explain the details. It's really easy to force the update through zune - and it's legit too.

SparkyDave

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Its available on the Nokia servers, so EE must have passed it for release.

I suggest taking it to your local Nokia Care Point, or downloading Care Suite and flashing it yourself.

The latest version available for the RM-801 & RM-819 is 1750.823.8558.12460

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz