820 discharge speed

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
I am currently using Battery Pro+ and it does not seem to cause increased battery drain. It also doesn't DO much, so......

As for a process explorer app, from what I have read, these are not possible in WP8.

I am suddenly getting decent battery life the last two charge cycles. The only things that I changed were adding Battery Pro+, deleting one or two unnecessary apps that served up ads, installing a wireless charging shell and disabling automatic phone update checking. I have no idea if any of this is responsible but I am currently getting a consistent 1%/hour discharge rate in standby (cell data and location services off, WiFi and Bluetooth on). This used to be variable between 1% and 4% per hour.

There also seems to be an inconsistency in the battery indicator that has been noted elsewhere. Sometimes after charging to an indicated 100% it will take several hours for the display to drop to 99% and sometimes it will start dropping right away.

My theories are 1) apps that stay open in the background or try to download ads in the background in spite of the fact that they do not show up as active background tasks or 2) stuck processes. But without useful system tools, it will be pure luck if anyone actually identifies the real cause of the inconsistent standby discharge rates. And without access to the system itself, actually fixing the problem will be even more difficult. From what I have read so far, this is not fixed in Amber / GDR2 either.

A shame.... I like the phone and the OS, but a phone that cannot be trusted longer than a day in my pocket without checking on it is not a phone I want to use long term. Too likely that it will end up dead when I really need it. Gone are the days of the phones that could go a week on standby and still have enough to make a phone call.

Paul
 

WPRaptor1

New member
Sep 9, 2013
24
0
0
Visit site
Open IE,close all tabs until U have a white screen.That was what caused the battery drain issue to my 820.As for games,if u play 1gb ram games or something like halo etc. the battery won't last more than 2-3hours

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Tapatalk
 

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
Trouble is that I never close open tabs. I currently have six open, and I am (for now, anyway) getting ~1%/hour discharge rates. Perhaps the improvement you saw has something to do with the CONTENT of one of the open tabs? Or just coincidence?

Paul
 

WPRaptor1

New member
Sep 9, 2013
24
0
0
Visit site
Hmmm.I don't think it was a coincidence because my brother's Lumia 620 had the same issue for 2 days until he opened ie (he mostly uses uc browser) and closed all tabs.I now that it seems kinda weird because there is no true multitasking on wp8 but it was the same solution for both our devices and each device had a different page open.


Sent from my Lumia 820
 

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
The more I observe my 820, the more I am convinced that the battery indicator either reads high by about 5% or perhaps rounds up by that amount. If I take the phone off charge as soon as it declares it is at 100%, the battery indicator starts falling right away. However, if I leave it on the charger for another hour or two, the battery indicator stays at 100% for between four and five hours.

Yesterday, I received the replacement battery that Nokia sent me and installed it. It reported 67% initially. After charging for a while, the DT-900 LED turned off. I left it on charge a couple more hours and then started observing it. In standby, the battery indicator stayed at 100% for the rest of the evening (about four hours). Overnight it dropped to about 95% in a total of about 11 hours since it came off the charger. If I assume that the battery indicator either rounds up by 5% or simply is 5% off, that comes out to 5% plus the 5% error for a total drain of 10% over 11 hours, or a discharge rate of about 1%/hour.

Next experiment will be to switch my Google account from manual updates to every two hours and see if that impacts the battery life.

Paul
 

infinidim

New member
Jul 16, 2012
238
0
0
Visit site
The more I observe my 820, the more I am convinced that the battery indicator either reads high by about 5% or perhaps rounds up by that amount. If I take the phone off charge as soon as it declares it is at 100%, the battery indicator starts falling right away. However, if I leave it on the charger for another hour or two, the battery indicator stays at 100% for between four and five hours.

Yesterday, I received the replacement battery that Nokia sent me and installed it. It reported 67% initially. After charging for a while, the DT-900 LED turned off. I left it on charge a couple more hours and then started observing it. In standby, the battery indicator stayed at 100% for the rest of the evening (about four hours). Overnight it dropped to about 95% in a total of about 11 hours since it came off the charger. If I assume that the battery indicator either rounds up by 5% or simply is 5% off, that comes out to 5% plus the 5% error for a total drain of 10% over 11 hours, or a discharge rate of about 1%/hour.

Next experiment will be to switch my Google account from manual updates to every two hours and see if that impacts the battery life.

Paul

Paul,

The more information we gather on this forum the better I think. Currently my view is that it is a bug in the Windows Phone OS. To me it looks like a process that sometimes takes a lot of battery power. I can only fix it by powering down my phone and restarting it again. That seems to fix it for sometimes a day or two then it comes back - I then go through the whole process again.

The battery level problem is interesting. What I believe happens is that the battery apps call a Windows Phone system call, method or API to get the current status of the battery. The Windows Phone OS would then make a call to the firmware to get the status, so this issue could very well be with the Nokia firmware not returning the correct data. I have tried a number of battery apps now and they all seem to have the same issues. Just a thought.

These issues are very complex and multi layered - it could be an application, the Windows Phone operation system, the firmware, the phone silicon or even the battery could have the issue. Gut says it is not the battery or silicon currently.

Lets hope we find it soon as it is annoying.
 

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
Agreed! And yes, I think we have at least two different issues here.

The battery indicator (at least on my 820) DOES read high by about 5%. This distorts the percent use per hour figures and can cause you to take it off charge prematurely.

There is also clearly an issue with something getting stuck and causing excessive battery drain. I have seen mild examples of this, where my discharge rate would run about 4%/hour even with the phone in stand by. After uninstalling most optional apps and leaving cell data and GPS off, I now see a consistent (so far) discharge rate of about 1%/hour. I am gradually re-adding the few apps I really want and observing the battery performance.

To date, I have not had the extreme version of this where the phone gets warm. In fact, it has NEVER gotten warm, even while watching a streaming video.

Paul
 

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
More experimenting...... yesterday I installed Here Drive and Gas Buddy. Both created background processes and my standby battery consumption rose to approximately 2%/hour. This morning I blocked both background processes and the battery consumption appeared to remain at 2%/hour in standby. I then uninstalled both apps and restarted. We'll see if my standby drain comes back down to 1%/hour or less.

Preliminary results seem to show that simply blocking background processes does NOT make the phone act as if there were no apps installed that want to consume resources while the phone is in standby. This would also explain why battery saver did not seem to have much effect. Trouble is that without access to system information, it is very difficult, innacurate and time consuming to figure out what is happening.

Paul
 

edwardtkl

New member
Jul 3, 2013
13
0
0
Visit site
My 820 is discharge at a speed of 5% per hour, with the following features turned on

4G, bluetooth, location service, 4 background services, glance screen, double tap to wake
 

pgoelz

New member
Sep 17, 2013
144
0
0
Visit site
More experimenting...... yesterday I installed Here Drive and Gas Buddy. Both created background processes and my standby battery consumption rose to approximately 2%/hour. This morning I blocked both background processes and the battery consumption appeared to remain at 2%/hour in standby. I then uninstalled both apps and restarted. We'll see if my standby drain comes back down to 1%/hour or less.
And the answer.... yes, it did come back down to 1%/hour or a bit less after uninstalling Here Drive and Gasbuddy. I have re-installed Gasbuddy, blocked its background process and then rebooted. Testing now to see if the discharge rate remains at 1%/hour. Decided I can do without Here Drive for now.

Paul
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
324,228
Messages
2,245,196
Members
428,181
Latest member
totifrtuieo