830 (full resolution) continuous shooting speed

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Could anyone with 830 please try the speed of continous shooting? I mean, how many full resolution photos can 830 take per second? I know about the possibility to take 2MP photos at 24fps speed. But I would rather know about the speed of taking full res photos (while holding shutter button). I hope there is such possibility in 830?

Thanks in advance!

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone? Just try to take a photo sequence with your 830, please ;)

The easiest way to determine how many full res photos can 830 take in sequence mode is this:
Go to an online stop watch page(sorry, I cannot post links yet)
www(dot)online-stopwatch(dot)com
Point 830 camera to this page and then simply start the stopwatch and at the same time press and hold the 830 shutter. Number of photos captured within one second is the info I'm looking for ;) Thank you in advance!

h3rman

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it.
In burst mode it took 9 frames, about 6 of these frames in one second.
Give or take one frame :wink:

As a photographer I am used to think that the number of frames per time unit may depend on memory access.
I have my 830 configured to store pictures on a (32 GB) SD card. I did not select this card for speed / performance, so YMMV.

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it.
In burst mode it took 9 frames, about 6 of these frames in one second.
Give or take one frame :wink:
Thanks for the try! 5-6fps is good enough ;) Do you see any difference in quality if you take a single photo and number of photos in burst mode?

h3rman

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I realize your topic title suggests you interested in full resolution images.
Last night I could not find an AK47 shooting mode for full size images, just the burst mode.
I do know the burst mode images are in a reduced resolution.
It all makes sense of course, this is just a phone, not a DSLR, not even comparable to an entry-level digicam.
Anyway, when I am back at my main PC I will compare image sizes of full-res images to something shot in burst mode and let you know my findings.

h3rman

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
OK, I guess my tests are not highly scientific but probably good enough to give you an idea......

I used the Microsoft Cam app to take the test images.
I took images of the carpet in my living room.
Just the white carpet, no objects on it.
Images shot within a couple of seconds from each other, lighting and all other variables did not change between shots.
From the burst sequence I selected in-phone one shot, saved that and deleted the remaining ones.
This gives two images to compare, same subject, same distance, same lighting, the only difference being the size.
Imported the images to my PC, examined them in my DAM which uses ExifTool to retrieve metadata from the files.

The results:

Full res image height 2640, width 3520, size 4.08 MB
Burst image height 1936 width 2592, size 2.04 MB

Maybe you notice that I set the ratio to 4:3 in stead of the default 16:9.
I suspect that you can just do some maths to arrive at the numbers for 16:9 ratio.

Hope this helps.

h3rman

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Do you see any difference in quality if you take a single photo and number of photos in burst mode?
That depends on the subject, the viewing medium, viewing distance, your eyesight, .......
My previous post shows the file dimensions / size.
We are talking about JPG files here.
Some websites claim the 830 can shoot raw in DNG format.
I just wish it was true, that would enable me to do my own post-processing and get rid of the sometimes over-sharpened images.
To answer your question: I doubt you will see much difference on the screen of the phone, but you will definitely see differences on a 21 " computer screen and on your TV set :winktongue:

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I realize your topic title suggests you interested in full resolution images.
Last night I could not find an AK47 shooting mode for full size images, just the burst mode.
I do know the burst mode images are in a reduced resolution.
It all makes sense of course, this is just a phone, not a DSLR, not even comparable to an entry-level digicam.
Anyway, when I am back at my main PC I will compare image sizes of full-res images to something shot in burst mode and let you know my findings.

IPhone 5s and 6 and Galaxy s4 and 5 all shoot in full resolution. There is no reason why a Lumia should not either. What's the point then. I don't want a low quality image.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The burst mode is 5MP. I don't know how much of a difference you'd notice on a TV. A 1080p TV is 1920x1080 which is only 2MP. It's not even capable of displaying more detail than that.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess its because I print a lot of my photos. 5mp isn't too bad though. Even the 5mp images are pretty good up to 8x6

h3rman

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
For the OP (and may be others interested in quality differences between full-res images and reduced res as shot in burst mode): I have uploaded two images to my OneDrive space.

This afternoon a small bird (a Wood Nuthatch) crashed against one of my windows.
I picked it up, took it in my hands until it revived.

I had my Lumia in my left pocket, so I grabbed it and took some shots.
When I started it was still in burst mode, when I realized that I switched to normal mode.
All with one hand, so the device passed that test as well :wink:

I uploaded one image from the burst sequence and one comparable (but not exactly the same pose) image in full resolution.

I guess you could download the images and examine them yourself on whatever device you like.
When you do that: I had the Lumia in my left hand, hardware buttons pointing down.
When you look at the full size image it is shown upside down.
I don't know if this is a bug or to be expected

Not being allowed to post links yet I have to improvise something for the URL......

http(dot)(slash)(slash)1drv(dot)ms(slash)1tkpNV8

Hope this helps.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I would think that Moment Capture in the new Lumia Camera update would fill this need adequately wouldn't it? Can't really get much burstier then being able to select stills from video capture.

vertigo_x

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
For those other Lumia 830 owners out there: are you using the RM-985? There may be reason to reserve judgment until those of us with the Debian Red firmware get updated to Denim. :)

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb