920 died on me overnight

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well some sad news is my 920 appears to have died on me overnight. It was running fine and I plugged it in to charge last night. This morning, nothing.

I used the soft reset button combo and that caused a vibrate but no screen to come on.

Today I've left it on wireless charger and plugged in for several hours each, but now it doesn't even vibrate.

Thankfully I had a 635 floating around and have switched to that, but I'm missing my 920. It's been a great phone and is over two years old now, but still, odd that it just stopped working.

Anyone got any ideas to revive this?

Thanks

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Lumia Software Recovery Tool?

Sadly it doesn't respond to USB Laura. I charged overnight again and it now vibrates when power is attached but doesn't respond when plugged in to a PC or power button pressed.

I am wondering if the battery has finally given up the ghost and it no longer charges. I may try getting a replacement to see if that does anything.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've never hear of one actually dying before. Here I am thinking the 920 is virtually indestructible. My 900 still boots up. Heck my HTC Arrive boots up. (yes, you never forget your first) :) Sad news OP. Use a different charging cable and see if that helps.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Take apart the phone to the point where you unplug the battery (plenty of YouTube videos). Reseat everything and reassemble the phone. The phone may actually turn on while you are in mid-assembly. I have had this happen before. Not sure if it is a faulty power button or something else but it seems to work. I love the 920, but it has some flaky hardware issues. This could be an issue with the USB port itself a weak point on this phone even if you wireless charge which I do. Whatever the cause, it is probably not dead. You may still need to use the recovery tool

UntamoUnikameli

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
You may want to try soft reset :) Press and hold the power button and volume down button for about 10 seconds
My lumia 920 does that randomly :/

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It happens a few times in my 920. I had location service & wifi on while juicing up overnight on my wireless charger. Next morning it was dead.
Battery was fully discharged. However it did become alive again when I charge it on a AC-15...
Don't give up hope

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Since it vibrates when you plug it in, it's not the charging port.

Sounds to me like it doesn't have enough juice to run on, which is what happens when the battery dies. It vibrates, and does nothing. On some models, the Windows key will flash for awhile until it turns on.

Sounds to me like maybe the battery bit it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh... BTW.. Make sure your USB cable itself is working. Some generic cables are crap - the connecting points are dodgy. It might make your phone vibrate but it wont charge... I know cos I had one before

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I took the battery out and voltage was 2.5V which is below the lower levels of Lithium ion and into an area where chargers don't charge and think the battery is dead. Since I have a engineering degree and bench power supply I manually charged the battery partially to 3.7V to see if that would revive it. Not totally. It now is more consistent:

Unit now responds on USB when I use the Power-volume soft reset and Windows sees a Qualcomm HID device but for some reason Nokia Recovery tool doesn't connect. Think I'll try it on another PC later as I'd expect it to then see the phone and reprogram the flash.

Odd all this happened though.

Thanks for the suggestions, would be good to get this running again although 635 proving to be better than expected in the meantime.

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine did this tonight. Pretty much the same symptoms.

I had it charging (PC USB), unplugged it and Glance screen was just frozen. Did a soft reset, got the Nokia logo then just black. Soft/hard resets will make it vibrate but won't do anything. I have it charging on a Qi charging stand now, the light is on, but the phone just seems dead :(

I ordered an 830, but I really didn't want to. Was waiting for new flagship. Worst possible time to die.

Edit: I tried to put my wife's 920 battery in mine to test the battery theory. That didn't pan out. There are files I would like to get off of it that weren't backed up to OneDrive, but I'll live.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs