920 or 8x? Help an Android guy out

bjsstranger

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time Android user and I'm looking to use another platform at least part time. My first smart phone was a HTC Mogul and I enjoyed it and I'm sure that WP8 is an ecosystem I will enjoy using. I have an opportunity to purchase a good condition used 8X or 920. I am currently leaking towards the 920. I can see myself using the 920 as a going out device. Seems durable and the low light camera sounds great for bar pictures and late night debauchery. The map application that Nokia uses intrigues me to be able to use it without a data connection. Also my current phone (Moto X) has an amoled screen and outdoor screen visibility is poor. My last phone had an ips screen and I could sit out in the sun and read an ebook. Please give me your opinions. I want to come back to the Windows Phone world. I want to do it right. Thank you

jmk1127

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to vote 920. The camera is what puts it over the top compared to the 8x. Can't go wrong with either choice but IMO, I'd rather the 920. Good luck!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
You say you are leaning towards the 920 and have justified reasons for doing so. I think the device is still very functional and is a typical Nokia tank of a device. I think it will meet those needs you listed well enough.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, AMOLED screens can be much better. Nokia is using them a lot now and the daylight visibility feature works fine (boosts brightness and contrast).

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I own an 8X and, even though I'm very happy with it, I would swap it for a 920 any day. It's true that it's beautifully built and very light weight but Nokia has a lot of exclusive apps which, in my opinion, are worth the extra bulk (and endurance ;)). Go for the 920, you'll regret it if you don't. Cheers!

Tim Both

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the 920 and I kick myself for nit getting the 1029. 8x never even crossed my mind. HTC makes a good device, Nokia makes a great wp8 experience.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Get the 920. It has so many more features, like the amazing camera (image stabilization for much better photos), the high-speed screen (scrolling is less ghosty than other phones), wireless charging (in practice this is even more useful than it sounds), glance screen (see the clock when the screen is off), all the exclusive apps Nokia pays for, etc.

There's just no contest. The 8X is adequate, but the 920 went way above and beyond that.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was originally gonna get the 8X, but after the videos showing off the durability of the 920...i decided on Nokia and haven't looked back. This is coming from a guy who had an S3, a super cheap built phone with decent OS.

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I, too, just came from the S3. But I got the Lumia 810 instead. It was an open box item and I got it for $60. Couldn't past the offer.

This phone has an amazing quality feel to it. It feels very solid. Software wise, it feels very snappy. Way better than my S3.

I'm a structure engineer, so half of my time I'm out in the field managing construction projects. Hasn't happened to me yet, but a buddy of mine recently lost his S4 into the pit of hell LOL. He was on the phone with someone back in the office, then he put that phone in his shirt pocket. He then went over to the concrete pour pit and looked down. He leaned over to look under and there went his phone :winktongue:

Anyway, the point is at $60, if anything happens to this phone I won't feel the kind of loss that my buddy did when his phone flew down the pit of hell. Amazingly enough, I called it after it went down there and it still rang. It is now buried under several tons of concrete :winktongue:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Software wise alone, Nokia is the way to go. No other Windows Phone manufacturer goes as far out of their way as Nokia does to provide great apps and software features (Nokia Pro Cam and Glance screen, anyone?).

That, and also the Lumia 920 is perhaps the most feature rich Windows Phone. It might be considered bulky by some, but hey, it sure does have a lot of bang for your buck. The 920 is basically the powerhouse, the 925 is for the stylish, and the 1020 is for the budding photographers. All are overall incredible phones, being the same in nearly all aspects, just each one catering to a slightly different market.

So I'd recommend Nokia. You can't go wrong really with any Nokia WP8 device. Sure each one has its own pros and cons, but they're all amazing, superb devices. If you're buying Windows Phone, Nokia is practically the only way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte