A "how to" question...

rcciren

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
HI. I have a number of contacts that have 2(or more) mobile numbers in their contact details - for example where a work and home profile are linked. If I select that contact, only 1 mobile number is available to send texts to. Is there a simple way to select either or both mobile number to send texts? I'd prefer not to seperate the contact into 2 or more as that is plain messy. Any suggestions welcome.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know at this point only one number per contact can have messages sent to it. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple linked contacts that have two mobile numbers. When I start a new text and type the contact name it brings up both numbers and I choose one. If for some reason I want to send to both numbers I type in the contact's name again and choose the second number so that my text will show the contact's name twice. Then I type my message.

Are you saying that you're phone won't allow you to do this?

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple linked contacts that have two mobile numbers. When I start a new text and type the contact name it brings up both numbers and I choose one. If for some reason I want to send to both numbers I type in the contact's name again and choose the second number so that my text will show the contact's name twice. Then I type my message.

Are you saying that you're phone won't allow you to do this?

Yes, but you have multiple linked contacts, that's the difference.

rcciren: As scottcraft said, you can only send text messages to numbers you have stored as "mobile". And unfortunately, you can only have one "mobile" phone number stored for each contact. Even if you set them up in your Gmail account, WP will only synchronize the first one and ignore the rest. So unfortunately, what you want - to have two "mobile" phone numbers stored for one contact - is not possible in WP.

rcciren

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but you have multiple linked contacts, that's the difference.

rcciren: As scottcraft said, you can only send text messages to numbers you have stored as "mobile". And unfortunately, you can only have one "mobile" phone number stored for each contact. Even if you set them up in your Gmail account, WP will only synchronize the first one and ignore the rest. So unfortunately, what you want - to have two "mobile" phone numbers stored for one contact - is not possible in WP.
Thanks for confirming. This is a bit of an ommission I feel. Let's hope WP8 addresses :)
Ehanks all for your insight.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Although you can only set 1 number as "mobile," I have the ability to send texts to other numbers. I haven't tried it because I don't regularly text people w/ multiple mobile #s. Here's what I see:

In the Messaging app,
-select a contact to text
-touch the "three dots"
-select "switch"
-there should be an option that says "more phone numbers"

From here, you can choose any other number to text. Again, I haven't had to use this so whether or not it really works, someone else needs to chime in here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf