A new guide: Update to TH2 or Redstone

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
IMPORTANT EDIT: Although I have not confirmed this myself, I've been told this tutorial is no longer functional. Today I'm receiving a Lumia Icon to use as a daily driver, so I will be able to get back to development on my Ativ SE. The stickied tutorial thread has a few posts regarding a new method that works, so if you need a tutorial immediately, look there. This tutorial WILL eventually be updated, but not until I have something new to add. I intend to include permanent interop and capabilities unlock, as well as sections for unlocking the bootloader and enabling testsigning mode.

This tutorial is written for users who are already familiar/experienced with unofficially upgrading/downgrading/restoring/modifying this phone. Please refrain from using this tutorial if you are a beginner to this and require (or would prefer) a tutorial that contains all necessary files and more descriptive explanations. Rmabwing5 has a excellent tutorial which will make the process significantly easier for you if you fit this description. His tutorial can be found here.

WARNING: Making software or hardware modifications to your device can nullify your warranty and/or make your device unusable. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been using 14356 since it was released, and I've now updated to 14361, so I guess I should post a quick tutorial for those that need it. However, I need to preface the tutorial with important information regarding Redstone on our phone. Most importantly, you must not do a hard reset once running a Redstone build (at the time of posting). The Redstone builds, currently, are in-place UPDATE cabs from 10586; NOT a UPGRADE to Redstone. This means that these update cabs do not fully patch the portions of the ROM that are used to recreate the environment upon a hard reset. This is why @rmabwing5 had issues with his Microsoft Account, and it's the same reason we had issues with Settings and the Store when we were first trying Win10M. I expect this to remain true until Redstone reaches an RTM build, which would include a complete upgrade to the data portions which are preserved for a hard reset. This is why we were finally able to do hard resets on Win10M when we got the RTM build of 10586 through Insider. I also want to preface the tutorial by saying that I've only been using Redstone for a little over a week, and for the most part I only use the core features of the phone (phone, text, email, browsing). 14356 has behaved very well for me, but I probably use less features than you, so you will likely experience more issues than I have. Although I have been using it as my daily driver, I would not suggest others to do so. Use your own discretion, and proceed at your own risk.

This tutorial contains nothing new. It's old information that has been slightly modified. Anybody could figure this out with some minimal research, even if they only research this thread. This tutorial will start from our stock image (8.0 GDR3), which is how I tested the procedure, however if you're already running 8.1.1 or 10586, you can likely skip most of this tutorial (although I have not tested doing so). Make sure you read the entire post (and thread) before attempting the process. If you wish to stay on TH2, the notes at the bottom comment on that. Also, this tutorial will not be as verbose as my tutorials usually are; you may be required to do additional research before understanding the process, especially if this is your first time updating from 8.1.1 to 10.

1. Flash to 8.0 GDR3 stock using my guide, select custom and turn off automatic updates, sign in to msft account, don't restore, don't backup

2. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 10532.166

3. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 14203, disable auto app updates after initial setup, then take the critical update

4. Uninstall what you don't want/need, update everything else in store

5. Unlock in Developer Registration 8.1

6. Sideload CustomWPSystem_0600.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][27/02/2016][0.7] CustomWPSystem - patc?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

7. Install Preview for Developers, move to SD

8. Open CustomWPSystem, patch PfD with CustomPFD_0003.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][18/09/2015][0.6] CustomPFD: registry e?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

9. Open PfD (custom), and make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturer to NOKIA

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927_nam_vzw_100

PhoneModelName to "Lumia ICON"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927_nam_vzw_100

10. Install Windows Insider, open, select Insider Release Preview, go to Phone Update and take update to 14219.341

11. Wait, open Windows Insider to have it check for updates, take update to Win 10586.107

12. Wait..... If stuck on "Migrating your data" at 63% on step 18 of 22, power down and then turn back on. After it's complete, let it sit for 10 minutes.

13. Reset phone from settings. You can do a reset from TH2, but NOT from the Redstone builds (results in missing system apps, like Microsoft Account)

14. Setup normally, but do not restore (resulted in missing apps, may be different if your restore is from Redstone)

15. Let apps update (it's gonna take a while...), uninstall anything you don't want

16. Turn on Developer Mode in settings

17. Deploy RootTool.xap (the version currently in this post) - [JAILBREAK][GUIDE] Interop Unlock for Window?€? | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

18. Open Root Tool, go to File Folder Utility, press Install Xap File (will say failed), back, go to For All Windows Device

19. Make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927

PhoneModelName to "Lumia 929"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927

20. Download Windows Insider, select Fast Ring, reboot

21. Check for updates, install Redstone. If it hangs at step 3 of 9, power down and turn on. Your phone may act sluggishly and have weird issues for a few hours, but it will eventually work fine.

This was my procedure to go from 8.0 GDR3 to 14356, and I was able to upgrade to 14361 without changing anything. You can change your registry settings back to normal if you wish, however I would suggest keeping these values if you want to get immediate updates on the fast ring.

Notes:

I believe the two sets of values for DeviceTargetingInfo are interchangeable, so if you have issues seeing updates, try the other set. The order written is the order I used. The first set will also allow us to get to TH2 from Upgrade Advisor when that goes live for the Icon.

Once you finish step 15, if you wish to stay on TH2 (10586) you can do so by selecting Release Preview from Windows Insider. Although I have not tested it myself, you may be able to participate in the Release Preview ring and stay updated on TH2 without making any registry changes (meaning you may be able to use the stock values for the Ativ SE; no registry edits required). Maybe not. Let us know.

After updating to 14361, if your Store app is still version 11604 and it will not update, you can install 11605 from here - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...thkey=!ANl8nJffeBTZBkA&ithint=file,AppxBundle
Edit: There is a newer revision of 11605 than the version I've uploaded. You can google it if you need it. I've chosen not to upload it because it will eventually be pushed to your device when the update goes public.

If you have used this guide and are running Redstone, I encourage you to post your experience in this thread. Any useful information would be appreciated; bugs, fixes for bugs, etc.

I will do my best to keep this post updated as new information is gathered.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Decent guide, however you should include a disclaimer using the warn tags :wink:.

As Rooting, Interop Unlocking your phone, modifying the O/S registry can have unintended consequences and may render your phone into a fancy paper weight :grincry::winktongue:.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Decent guide, however you should include a disclaimer using the warn tags :wink:.

As Rooting, Interop Unlocking your phone, modifying the O/S registry can have unintended consequences and may render your phone into a fancy paper weight :grincry::winktongue:.

Great suggestion, I've modified the post. Thank you

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
14361 had been working decently for me (a few hang ups, and occasional blank tiles on the start) until yesterday. Yesterday I had terrible battery issues, and I'm not sure why. I checked the task manager and there was nothing against the ordinary that I could see. I'm currently doing the update to 14364, and I will post again tomorrow with any relevant info.

Also noteworthy, I've had inconsistent results with my phone rotating properly. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem with the accelerometer. I also do not recall if I had this issue in 14356 or not, because I usually have rotation lock on. I'll see how it goes on 14364. If anyone else is using a Redstone build, please let me know if your accelerometer/rotation is working.

EDIT: 14364 just finished installing and it is noticeably more snappy (quick to respond) than 14361. I'll be more detailed in my next post if I notice significant changes.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
14367 has still been working for me very well. I'm going to hold off on updating to 14371, due to this notice in the known issues section:

"We're investigating decreases in battery life on older devices such as the Lumia 830, 930, and 1520 (devices with SoC 8974 chipsets)."

The Ativ SE runs on the MSM8974, so I would advise avoiding 14371 and hoping that the next update has a fix, UNLESS battery life is not a concern (for example a testing/developer phone that will be plugged in most of the time).

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I ended up upgrading to 14371 yesterday, and I've had no issues so far.. I don't ever let the battery drop too low, so I don't have any information regarding the decreased battery performance that was mentioned in the blog post. Text shows up on the lock screen faster, and actions on the start screen are snappier. Other than that I've noticed no changes to performance.

Good news, this build fixed the screen rotation issue that I was having!

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

This tutorial is written for users who are already familiar/experienced with unofficially upgrading/downgrading/restoring/modifying this phone. Please refrain from using this tutorial if you are a beginner to this and require (or would prefer) a tutorial that contains all necessary files and more descriptive explanations. Rmabwing5 has a excellent tutorial which will make the process significantly easier for you if you fit this description. His tutorial can be found here.

WARNING: Making software or hardware modifications to your device can nullify your warranty and/or make your device unusable. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been using 14356 since it was released, and I've now updated to 14361, so I guess I should post a quick tutorial for those that need it. However, I need to preface the tutorial with important information regarding Redstone on our phone. Most importantly, you must not do a hard reset once running a Redstone build (at the time of posting). The Redstone builds, currently, are in-place UPDATE cabs from 10586; NOT a UPGRADE to Redstone. This means that these update cabs do not fully patch the portions of the ROM that are used to recreate the environment upon a hard reset. This is why @rmabwing5 had issues with his Microsoft Account, and it's the same reason we had issues with Settings and the Store when we were first trying Win10M. I expect this to remain true until Redstone reaches an RTM build, which would include a complete upgrade to the data portions which are preserved for a hard reset. This is why we were finally able to do hard resets on Win10M when we got the RTM build of 10586 through Insider. I also want to preface the tutorial by saying that I've only been using Redstone for a little over a week, and for the most part I only use the core features of the phone (phone, text, email, browsing). 14356 has behaved very well for me, but I probably use less features than you, so you will likely experience more issues than I have. Although I have been using it as my daily driver, I would not suggest others to do so. Use your own discretion, and proceed at your own risk.

This tutorial contains nothing new. It's old information that has been slightly modified. Anybody could figure this out with some minimal research, even if they only research this thread. This tutorial will start from our stock image (8.0 GDR3), which is how I tested the procedure, however if you're already running 8.1.1 or 10586, you can likely skip most of this tutorial (although I have not tested doing so). Make sure you read the entire post (and thread) before attempting the process. If you wish to stay on TH2, the notes at the bottom comment on that. Also, this tutorial will not be as verbose as my tutorials usually are; you may be required to do additional research before understanding the process, especially if this is your first time updating from 8.1.1 to 10.

1. Flash to 8.0 GDR3 stock using my guide, select custom and turn off automatic updates, sign in to msft account, don't restore, don't backup

2. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 10532.166

3. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 14203, disable auto app updates after initial setup, then take the critical update

4. Uninstall what you don't want/need, update everything else in store

5. Unlock in Developer Registration 8.1

6. Sideload CustomWPSystem_0600.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][27/02/2016][0.7] CustomWPSystem - patc?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

7. Install Preview for Developers, move to SD

8. Open CustomWPSystem, patch PfD with CustomPFD_0003.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][18/09/2015][0.6] CustomPFD: registry e?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

9. Open PfD (custom), and make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927_nam_vzw_100

PhoneModelName to "Lumia ICON"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927_nam_vzw_100

10. Install Windows Insider, open, select Insider Release Preview, go to Phone Update and take update to 14219.341

11. Wait, open Windows Insider to have it check for updates, take update to Win 10586.107

12. Wait..... If stuck on "Migrating your data" at 63% on step 18 of 22, power down and then turn back on. After it's complete, let it sit for 10 minutes.

13. Reset phone from settings. You can do a reset from TH2, but NOT from the Redstone builds (results in missing system apps, like Microsoft Account)

14. Setup normally, but do not restore (resulted in missing apps, may be different if your restore is from Redstone)

15. Let apps update (it's gonna take a while...), uninstall anything you don't want

16. Turn on Developer Mode in settings

17. Deploy RootTool.xap (the version currently in this post) - [JAILBREAK][GUIDE] Interop Unlock for Window?€? | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

18. Open Root Tool, go to File Folder Utility, press Install Xap File (will say failed), back, go to For All Windows Device

19. Make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927

PhoneModelName to "Lumia 929"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927

20. Download Windows Insider, select Fast Ring, reboot

21. Check for updates, install Redstone. If it hangs at step 3 of 9, power down and turn on. Your phone may act sluggishly and have weird issues for a few hours, but it will eventually work fine.

This was my procedure to go from 8.0 GDR3 to 14356, and I was able to upgrade to 14361 without changing anything. You can change your registry settings back to normal if you wish, however I would suggest keeping these values if you want to get immediate updates on the fast ring.

Notes:

I believe the two sets of values for DeviceTargetingInfo are interchangeable, so if you have issues seeing updates, try the other set. The order written is the order I used. The first set will also allow us to get to TH2 from Upgrade Advisor when that goes live for the Icon.

Once you finish step 15, if you wish to stay on TH2 (10586) you can do so by selecting Release Preview from Windows Insider. Although I have not tested it myself, you may be able to participate in the Release Preview ring and stay updated on TH2 without making any registry changes (meaning you may be able to use the stock values for the Ativ SE; no registry edits required). Maybe not. Let us know.

After updating to 14361, if your Store app is still version 11604 and it will not update, you can install 11605 from here - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...thkey=!ANl8nJffeBTZBkA&ithint=file,AppxBundle
Edit: There is a newer revision of 11605 than the version I've uploaded. You can google it if you need it. I've chosen not to upload it because it will eventually be pushed to your device when the update goes public.

If you have used this guide and are running Redstone, I encourage you to post your experience in this thread. Any useful information would be appreciated; bugs, fixes for bugs, etc.

I will do my best to keep this post updated as new information is gathered.

So good Jeemo! I'm downloading 14388.0; Thanks for all your work on this!

Now have this: wp_ss_20160715_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Awesome Darrell! Since we're getting close to the RTM release, the builds will suddenly get bigger, indicating a full set of reset cabs for Anniversary Update. When that happens, we should be good to do a hard reset on Redstone! I'll post here when I've confirmed the safety of doing so (which will be within the next two weeks).

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Awesome Darrell! Since we're getting close to the RTM release, the builds will suddenly get bigger, indicating a full set of reset cabs for Anniversary Update. When that happens, we should be good to do a hard reset on Redstone! I'll post here when I've confirmed the safety of doing so (which will be within the next two weeks).

wp_ss_20160716_0001.jpg

So i've got this build up and running. A few glitches (but it's early); my phone has suddenly and unexpectedly randomly rebooted a few times; also, my wifi is wonky, especially when waking up the phone; even though it shows i'm connected to wifi networks, it says 'no internet'; i have to reboot, and then it's fine; i've had to do this 3 times today already. Battery life seems good. Overall, happy:)

Update: keep having wifi issues. Says i'm connected, but no internet; this happens most often when i 'wake up' my phone after it's been sitting unused for a while. Also, there's been a couple of times when i try rebooting my phone it hangs on the 'goodbye' screen....i have to take the battery out to turn the thing off. Oh well....

Update again: still having daily wifi problems. Turning wifi off and then back on again does not fix this; it happens on all the networks i use throughout my day:
wp_ss_20160718_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
So i've got this build up and running. A few glitches (but it's early); my phone has suddenly and unexpectedly randomly rebooted a few times; also, my wifi is wonky, especially when waking up the phone; even though it shows i'm connected to wifi networks, it says 'no internet'; i have to reboot, and then it's fine; i've had to do this 3 times today already. Battery life seems good. Overall, happy:)

I've had some of these issues the last 3 builds (including 14390). I've had 2 random reboots while using the camera and 1 random reboot when activating internet sharing over bluetooth. Other than that, no reboots, and camera and internet sharing work well other than those few occurrences. I've had the no internet issue as well, which is usually fixed by toggling WiFi off and on a couple times. Battery life has been stellar for me, which I find surprising because other devices with this chipset have had overheating and battery issues. Keep an eye on this thread for a report of doing a hard reset on RS1; I'll be doing so within the next week (probably after the next build).

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I've had some of these issues the last 3 builds (including 14390). I've had 2 random reboots while using the camera and 1 random reboot when activating internet sharing over bluetooth. Other than that, no reboots, and camera and internet sharing work well other than those few occurrences. I've had the no internet issue as well, which is usually fixed by toggling WiFi off and on a couple times. Battery life has been stellar for me, which I find surprising because other devices with this chipset have had overheating and battery issues. Keep an eye on this thread for a report of doing a hard reset on RS1; I'll be doing so within the next week (probably after the next build).

Yes... I agree with you on the battery: super excellent battery life! Phone running nice and cool; noticed that the Microsoft Camera now has a new 'panorama' mode; very cool! Wallet is also excellent!

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
So, 14393.3 is now out. Haven't read what the changes are yet.

- RW

Here's the changelog:

• We have fixed an issue where keyboard input on some Windows tablet devices would not rotate to landscape normally.
  • We have fixed an issue that results in Windows Updates being delayed on systems with Connected Standby.
  • We have fixed a problem with text input with Korean Input Method Editor (IME) in some Store apps.
  • We fixed an issue causing Store apps to stop launching due to a licensing issue.
  • We have fixed an issue with apps that synchronize using DDE for inter-process communication.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
According to this article, 14393.3 brings back the Release Preview ring, which is currently deploying 14393. This is as clear of an indication of the RTM status of 14393 that we have thus far, so it is likely safe to do a Hard Reset after taking the 14393.3 update. HOWEVER, I have not yet tested this myself. I have a busy weekend ahead of me, so I will not be able to confirm whether or not it is possible until Sunday night or Monday. I'll provide more info asap, and I will revise the tutorial in the OP accordingly.

@rmabwing5 Since 14393/RS1 is being pushed to Release Preview devices, it is possible that your tutorial will need to be modified as well. With the registry values set for the Lumia Icon/RM-927, the update from 8.1.1 might go directly to RS1. This is 100% speculation, though.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Quick update (I'm on the go):

My phone was only getting 3G for some reason, so I decided to take a risk and do a hard reset. My phone was current on 14393.3 from following my tutorial, however I did the initial procedure BEFORE RS1 hit the Release Preview ring, so I cannot yet guarantee that the process is still valid for people that are starting fresh on 8.0. You'll have to try it out for yourself or wait for someone to confirm.

Regardless, the hard reset worked perfectly! The initial setup was flawless, 4G is working, Microsoft account/backup is working, and I can access all system "apps" including Settings. If you are currently running 14393.3, it seems to be safe to do a hard reset.

I'll give a more in depth update and adjust my tutorial sometime over the next week.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
So, 14393.3 is now out. Haven't read what the changes are yet.

- RW

I think they worked out the wifi problem; mine is working fine now. Battery life is exceptional!!

Quick update (I'm on the go):

My phone was only getting 3G for some reason, so I decided to take a risk and do a hard reset. My phone was current on 14393.3 from following my tutorial, however I did the initial procedure BEFORE RS1 hit the Release Preview ring, so I cannot yet guarantee that the process is still valid for people that are starting fresh on 8.0. You'll have to try it out for yourself or wait for someone to confirm.

Regardless, the hard reset worked perfectly! The initial setup was flawless, 4G is working, Microsoft account/backup is working, and I can access all system "apps" including Settings. If you are currently running 14393.3, it seems to be safe to do a hard reset.

I'll give a more in depth update and adjust my tutorial sometime over the next week.

Great news Jeemo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
PRV4DEV.png
I can't download Preview for Developers now. It's currently unavailable. Any suggestion?

Error Message is below :
---
App not available
This might be because the app isn't available in your country of region, it was removed from the store by the publisher, or it's exclusive to a different mobile provider.

If your phone software is out of date, it's possible that updating will fix the problem
---

There was no error on last time.

+++

Device Region Setting : US
Account Region Setting : US
Language : EN
Actual Location : KR
+++

Well, either faking IP using VPN and xap manual install didn't work.
The app seems to be unlisted from the store.

Last edited:

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like we're out of luck with the Preview For Developers app. It was apparently pulled from all phones not on the list to get the Anniversary Update.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have had that report too over on the other WM10 thread for the ATIV. And with the Icon already on the official upgrade path to WM10, I dont think there will be enough incentive for someone to find their way around these noose necks anymore - as the amount of users on the HTC M8 and the Ativ SE are too far and few in between, and the community too small.

They might just have EOL'ed us all into obsolence in one sweeping gesture. All our threads too. For the time being, I think it would be a good idea for everyone to move onto the RP until a fix or a work around can be found. For going from 8.x to 10. No point living on the edge if there's no cliff precipice to stand on underneath. :/

Edit: Wont side loading it not work in any way at all? :(

-- W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro