A preinstalled emergency app. able to display the GPS coordinates should be a must for smartphones

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
A preinstalled emergency app. able to display the GPS coordinates and transmit them by SMS, in an easy manner, without the need for some installed maps, should be a must for smartphones

Two people died recently in a plane crash because the emergency teams reached the site too late. One passenger, who escaped unharmed, had a smartphone but he was unable to find its Latitude and Longitude with all the help he received from people who where in contact with him by mobile phone.

Honestly, with my WP8 phone using the default HERE Maps app., I was not able after 10 minutes of trying to display somehow Lat. and Long.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

spot would be a much better idea in rugged terrain than a phone, which is depending on a cellular service to connect to the outside world.

as far as an app for that, there are tons. some of the best are iphone/android already like "hereiam" and 'crashproof' and similar versions. there drawback is what i mentioned about needing cellular connectivity to sms/call rescuers. having lat/long won't really do much good unless one person is going to hike/ride/drive out to get rescuers. the spot still trumps the phone in that reguard for faster help.

you should petition the developers of the highest usage iphone/android app for your cause to develop a wp version.

but if you're going into terrain, get a SPOT.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I know there are solutions but you have to prepare yourself in advance with special devices like "Spot" or have the insight to install a GPS app., like "Jack of Tools" from app. store.
Ordinary people, having smartphones, will never buy things like Spot or install Jack of Tools. This is for trip goers or other categories of individuals who really need them.
Somebody being in difficulty will have in most cases a mobile phone, possible a smartphone, but no more.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know there are solutions but you have to prepare yourself in advance with special devices like "Spot" or have the insight to install a GPS app., like "Jack of Tools" from app. store.
Ordinary people, having smartphones, will never buy things like Spot or install Jack of Tools. This is for trip goers or other categories of individuals who really need them.
Somebody being in difficulty will have in most cases a mobile phone, possible a smartphone, but no more.

i understand that people believe a cellphone will save them, and that's too bad. this, is not descriptive enough "I see a bunch of rocks to the left, and a bunch of trees to the right" thought to help. at minimum i'd suggest folks get comfortable with their phones, and realize that it's a tool, and usually the wrong tool for the job.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i understand that people believe a cellphone will save them, and that's too bad. this, is not descriptive enough "I see a bunch of rocks to the left, and a bunch of trees to the right" thought to help. at minimum i'd suggest folks get comfortable with their phones, and realize that it's a tool, and usually the wrong tool for the job.

wrong tool for the job..?
completely agreed.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
IF someone dials 911 and gets through, and IF their location data is on (might be automatic when dialing 911) the 911 service pulls GPS coordinates automatically from the phone for this exact purpose. It has been there since before smartphones on feature phones that had GPS chips installed.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You could always use one of these in times of distress:
batsignal1-300x263.png

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
IF someone dials 911 and gets through, and IF their location data is on (might be automatic when dialing 911) the 911 service pulls GPS coordinates automatically from the phone for this exact purpose. It has been there since before smartphones on feature phones that had GPS chips installed.

"I'm sorry, you need to call the dispatcher for this other county, get a pen and paper and I'll give you the number"

is often the reply from e911 services when dialed, in overlapping areas.

I've also noticed signs, roadside, and at soccer fields/football stadiums, parks, that say "ONLY DIAL 344-344-3445 for emergencies! " and then list the address of the location, and the 911 services that ate available. with different numbers.

idiotic way of putting a bandaid on a real problem, instead of using what is available in cellphones today.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there a WP8 app that allows you to enter by hand Latitude and Longitude and finally displays the position on the preinstalled map?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon