A reason why WP8 has a hard time competing?

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I just talked my friend into getting a Lumia 925 from T-mobile. He went to the store and told them what he wanted and the manager tried to talk him out of getting it and told him he should get something else. :shocked: I wonder how often this is happening at carrier stores, other carriers and (other than WP8 hate), is there even a semi-legitimate reason for it? Any opinions?

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The sales persons might get a cut from selling an iPhone or Android device, with Windows Phone, there is a chance the sales person mightn't get a cut from it, thus not recommending it and driving the customer to a different device.

I think that's the way it goes. :(

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's a big, often cited complaint about how sales-men are helping to slow the grow of Windows Phone due to talking customers out of it. It's a big issue, and often is a result of training (the sales people are typically told to push so-and-so product relentlessly). I remember when the Lumia 900 went on sale, I tried picking it up just after launch day. Sold out. But then the sales rep started to try and talk me into an iPhone 4S. I said, "No, the Lumia is $100 cheaper." THEN he tried selling me on an iPhone 4, citing the internet connectivity issues on the Lumia 900 as a reason...

I then got smart with him and started talking about how the iPhone 4 had a hardware connectivity issue and had 8GB less storage than the Lumia, meanwhile, the Lumia was getting a software update in a few days to address the issue, AND all customers would receive $100 credit for incontinence (effectively making the phone free on contract).

I was thoroughly irritated, but that's because the iPhone was AT&T's love child at the time, all the sales reps were trained to get everyone sold on it. In more recent years, at my local AT&T Store anyway, they seem to be more neutral. They're always biased towards whatever AT&T's current flagship phone is (I.E: whatever phone gets the big store displays and front window ads), but mostly are more neutral to phones in general. Could it be improved? Most definitely. While they now won't try talking me out of a Windows Phone should I mention it, before the conversation is started, they're always pushing some Samsung phone or the iPhone.

Meanwhile, other carriers aren't educating their employees about Windows Phone at all, meaning the sales reps are completely in the dark about it and therefore are going to try and pitch what they already know (slamming Windows Phone in the process). I'm hoping it improves, but for now, it pains me to think of all the people turned away from Windows Phone due to uneducated, untrained sales people...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not suggesting this isn't a big deal or that it doesn't happen alot. But I can't really fault a salesperson entirely. At some point, customer culpability has to be taken into account. I remember the day I got the Samsung Focus, the AT&T guy asked if I was sure and then proceded to point out the iPhone 4 (at the time) and his Android phone. I politely said no and he didn't push the issue. I got what I wanted and went about my merry way.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Timely thread for me. This has been going on since WP came out, and has been a source of frustration for many of us. I thought it had stopped, but I purchased a 925 from the AT&T store last week, and 2 different salesmen attempted to talk me out of it.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
At&t is pretty bad. What they "know" about WP is often wrong.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs a bigger retail presence, and while the Best Buy set-ups are a start, it should begin seeding Microsoft representatives at every carrier. 'Mini stores' managed by Microsoft employees at your large and medium sized AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. should be the way forward. The value proposition here would be (1) Microsoft paying the carriers for room and (2) boosting carrier sales through Windows Phone. If need be they can even give carriers a discount on Windows Phone inventory.

Ido Gal

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is just his opinion that other platforms are better?

There are indeed major disadvantages about WP8:
1. Whatsapp is faulty.
2. Lack of apps. (even tho it is less relevant in the US)
3. No good navigation app (expect for Nokia Drive which is relevant only if you have a Nokia phone...)

I have an ATIV S, BTW.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs a bigger retail presence, and while the Best Buy set-ups are a start, it should begin seeding Microsoft representatives at every carrier. 'Mini stores' managed by Microsoft employees at your large and medium sized AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. should be the way forward. The value proposition here would be (1) Microsoft paying the carriers for room and (2) boosting carrier sales through Windows Phone. If need be they can even give carriers a discount on Windows Phone inventory.
No, carriers are not going to allow Microsoft to "set up shop" at their stores, dude. Microsoft should build more MSFT stores in the US. The top 100 populated cities in the US should have at least one MSFT store. At the same time, building stores in Europe & India, could not hurt either.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Timely thread for me. This has been going on since WP came out, and has been a source of frustration for many of us. I thought it had stopped, but I purchased a 925 from the AT&T store last week, and 2 different salesmen attempted to talk me out of it.

Horrid. Horrid experince.

First off, I do want to point out there is nothing wrong with sales reps ensuring a customer has seen all the options. In fact, if a rep wanted to make sure a customer understood the difference between OS's and that WP is what they really want, go team. I think anyone would be good there.

But, this is obviously not what we are seeing. Still. In 2013. It's not like people walk in for a GS4 or a iPhone 5S and a salesman says "Sure, but have you seen this 92X over here?"

This is strickly reps working to get someone off a very capable OS to another OS the rep prefers for whatever reason. It is amazing we are still getting these threads. Mostly because for everyone of these on WP, most are more then likley getting talked out of them and are on an OS they may not end up enjoying for two years or longer.

Really chaffs my hide....

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Given WP sales are up like 180% I'd say they are competing just fine. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

As for your buddy, he made the decision at the end of the day. Some people just do not like WP.

Harshana Abeysinghe

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is just his opinion that other platforms are better?

There are indeed major disadvantages about WP8:
1. Whatsapp is faulty.
2. Lack of apps. (even tho it is less relevant in the US)
3. No good navigation app (expect for Nokia Drive which is relevant only if you have a Nokia phone...)

I have an ATIV S, BTW.

Isnt here Drive(previously nokia drive) available for every windows phone8 device/? I thought so.. N here maps,transit,explorer,drive (every here app) are really way better than imaps or google maps..(im in canada)...

whtsapp faulty is with whatsapp system.. N btw wht fault do u have??i use evry day n no fault at all.. :-\

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Given WP sales are up like 180% I'd say they are competing just fine. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

As for your buddy, he made the decision at the end of the day. Some people just do not like WP.

Would be higher if it weren't for the above going on a lot. I agree that people can choose what they want, but when you go in and ask for a specific device but try to be sold something else, it's frustrating and not professional. Sure, if you go in and say could you advise me on getting a phone priced around ?$ and I mainly do X and Y and Z on it, what would be most suited... fine. But I've had it not with just a phone but a Laptop as well (she tried to sell me an iPad when I wanted a Windows 8 convertible). It's annoying.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Its taking f**king years to launch new devices on worldwide scale - BIGGEST ISSUE with WP
Carrier exclusivity - SECOND BIGGEST ISSUE

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Its taking f**king years to launch new devices on worldwide scale - BIGGEST ISSUE with WP
Carrier exclusivity - SECOND BIGGEST ISSUE
carrier exclusivity is a necessary evil for growing platform. Carriers won't advertise, display, sell or otherwise support a small platform without it. iPhone and Android both started as carrier exclusives. With Windows Phone market share under 5% in the US, I wouldn't expect exclusives to go away anytime soon. Take away any incentive for carriers and you'll only buy WinPhones direct from Microsoft.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
No, carriers are not going to allow Microsoft to "set up shop" at their stores, dude. Microsoft should build more MSFT stores in the US. The top 100 populated cities in the US should have at least one MSFT store. At the same time, building stores in Europe & India, could not hurt either.
carriers are about money. I bet Microsoft could get them to have someone hang out in the Windows Phone section. I see HP, Epson, Microsoft, etc. reps in BestBuy, especially during the holiday season. Just because something isn't being done now, does not mean that it couldn't be successfully pitched.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
carriers are about money. I bet Microsoft could get them to have someone hang out in the Windows Phone section. I see HP, Epson, Microsoft, etc. reps in BestBuy, especially during the holiday season. Just because something isn't being done now, does not mean that it couldn't be successfully pitched.

I could MAYBE..... see this happen. One of the reasons Best Buy allows them is because Best Buys usually have tons of space for these people. Idk about other AT&T stores, but my local one is way too small for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel