A reason why WP8 has a hard time competing?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
carriers are about money. I bet Microsoft could get them to have someone hang out in the Windows Phone section. I see HP, Epson, Microsoft, etc. reps in BestBuy, especially during the holiday season. Just because something isn't being done now, does not mean that it couldn't be successfully pitched.

From all this, I conclude that WP is not a huge priority with MS, since they do not seem to have that kind of money to spend on it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
From all this, I conclude that WP is not a huge priority with MS, since they do not seem to have that kind of money to spend on it.

MSFT has a lot going on at this point in time. Not everything can be on the front burner. There is a saying "If everything is an emergency then nothing is an emergency."

For those that have little to no patience WP probably isn't the best place for them to be. Of course the grass isn't greener on the other side as many have found.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
MSFT has a lot going on at this point in time. Not everything can be on the front burner.

Yes Microsoft does have a lot going on, on many different fronts. But does one department really affect another one? The developers for Office, for example, probably have nothing to do with WP (except where it concerns Office for WP). They each have their jobs to do. It's not like one team is working on Office, and when they're done there they go to WP, then to Windows (while the others wait). I don't see how Microsoft being busy in many different areas makes a lot of difference.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
it is an "out of the box" strategy, so it's likely no one has even considered it or maybe someone concluded that it wouldn't be a good use of resources. Maybe the carriers said "no". My only point was that just because it isn't currently done, doesn't mean that it couldn't.

mikeofthegarden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I believe im the only one with a positive salesperson experience. Went into the Verizon store shortly after the launch of the 928, I was greeted by a salesperson, told him what I wanted and he took out his phone, which also was a 928! Then he started showing me some cool apps like City Lens, and he said he loved it. I really appreciated that.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes Microsoft does have a lot going on, on many different fronts. But does one department really affect another one? The developers for Office, for example, probably have nothing to do with WP (except where it concerns Office for WP). They each have their jobs to do. It's not like one team is working on Office, and when they're done there they go to WP, then to Windows (while the others wait). I don't see how Microsoft being busy in many different areas makes a lot of difference.

It depends on how they are structured. Though I'm sure they have dedicated teams, I would also guess they have other teams that jump from project to project. You also have testing, QC, etc. I think it would be fair to say they have WP code written right now that blow us all away. Its just not ready for relase.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I went into a corporate ATT store shortly after the Focus S was released. Sales person never heard of it and they had never received a single unit. Salesperson there said, oh you should just get an iPhone. I did play with the iPhone 3GS on display and that thing was lagging like crazy just to swipe from one page of icons to the next. They were going to nitify me when they would have the Focus S in stock. I think the iPhone 4 was out by then but I don't remember them having a working one on display.

I went to another ATT store a few days later. When I asked for it, the salesperson said "No one comes in here asking for Windows Phone. Windows Phone is nice though, I use one as my main device." He pulled out his phone but I didn't recognize the model since I think the Focus S was the first Mango phone and I had no experience with the original WP 7 devices. Strangely enough, I got the last one in stock and there was a gentleman who came in about a minute after I did going for the same phone. He was upset and left when he found out they were out of stock on it. But they didn't try to sell him on a different device.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe im the only one with a positive salesperson experience. Went into the Verizon store shortly after the launch of the 928, I was greeted by a salesperson, told him what I wanted and he took out his phone, which also was a 928! Then he started showing me some cool apps like City Lens, and he said he loved it. I really appreciated that.

I had a mixed experience. While I at U.S. Cellular, they were terrible (see an earlier thread by me), but they were the best at AT&T, which I have now. The head sales manager had it as her main phone, she did nothing but praise it (she was like 50 so the apps didn't bother her), she even said "Bing is great, its faster than google". So, I guess it just depends.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
We have phones on which you have to jump through hoops to make a basic function like music work properly.

There is a reason salespeople recommend other phones. Because those phones don't have major issues like that.

Personally, I stopped recommending WP8 a while ago. This will change if they fix some of the bigger issues.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I met a regional manager for Verizon at a restaurant awhile back, and yes, we got on the subject of cell phones! :wink: This was maybe several months after WP8 was released. He carried a WP8 phone as his daily driver, partly to become familiar with it. He said he liked it quite well. I don't remember which model it was. However, he showed me the Galaxy Nexus he also carried because his WP was missing some capabilities required for his job. He didn't say what they were so I don't know if those features have been added through updates since then or not.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is just his opinion that other platforms are better?

There are indeed major disadvantages about WP8:
1. Whatsapp is faulty.
2. Lack of apps. (even tho it is less relevant in the US)
3. No good navigation app (expect for Nokia Drive which is relevant only if you have a Nokia phone...)

I have an ATIV S, BTW.

Bodrik

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The background is typically commissions, personal bias, or management pushing some sort of quota.

It seems every carrier that has a contract to sell iPhones has a minimum purchase requirement setup with Apple, so that can force stores at times to get rid of iPhone stock as much as possible in order to soften the blow of so many guaranteed stock purchases. This can translate into management pushing reps to sell the iPhone. It wouldn't be surprising if some other brands (like Samsung) also had some sense of minimum purchase requirements in their contracts with carriers.

Honestly... If someone comes into a store set on a particular phone, it seems much easier to just ring them up on the register in 30 minutes rather then haggling them along for an hour trying to sell another phone they don't want. Finish that decided customer and move along to the next one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb