A special request to all Windows Phones users.

DarthBC

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Literally the biggest problem for WP is that no one really knows it exists. Whenever the phone conversation happens and people are saying "I have an iPhone 5c" or "I have a galaxy s4", when I say "I have a Windows Phone" every single person around me says "What's that?". No joke, it happens every single time. The fault for that is 100% on microsoft. It's their job to make sure people know what WP is, not the users. They are not putting enough behind it, and it shows.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Whatever. I'm not going to argue your point anymore.

WP downfall is that it's missing key apps and games and making them comparable. That was my main point many posts ago. Number of apps means nothing as long as you have the popular ones to begin with that people want. Let's not forget how long Instagram took to get on board and then it's still half baked. That was my main point at the beginning.

My owning an Android tablet or phone is irrelevant to the conversation. I'm having no issues with my tablet or the apps on it and I know many people with android phones who are quite happy. If I wanted to go simply by experience with one device on WP I should have stopped using WP back in January 2013 when the device died on me after a month owning it.

I'm not saying WP sucks, I'm not saying it's terrible. I'm saying it needs to get itself sorted and soon. It's a good enough OS for most people but not everyone is patient when it comes to apps or phones they want. Many will leave for those reasons. That's why WP is so low this year. Nothing great with handsets and the apps are still miles behind.

Agreed, although I left android because it starts out well, but over time the OS just gets too bogged down and laggy. That being said a day doesn't pass without Music not crashing on me on my NL920, a number of other apps crash as well and yesterday the lock screen swipe up didn't work for some odd reason.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the app issue depends on what device/platform someone used previous to Windows Phone.

I've never owned any Android devices. I used legacy BBOS prior to Windows Phone. BlackBerry didn't even have Netflix, which is one of the apps I use regularly. BlackBerry doesn't have OverDrive (ebook reader for library books) anymore either, which is another app I use regularly.

So for me, Windows Phone has way more apps than BlackBerry had.

That is true, but it doesn't change the fact that WP's main competitors namely iOS and Android have more official apps and get new apps sooner than WP

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the app issue depends on what device/platform someone used previous to Windows Phone.

I've never owned any Android devices. I used legacy BBOS prior to Windows Phone. BlackBerry didn't even have Netflix, which is one of the apps I use regularly. BlackBerry doesn't have OverDrive (ebook reader for library books) anymore either, which is another app I use regularly.

So for me, Windows Phone has way more apps than BlackBerry had.

I wasn't saying that people wouldn't be happy with WP.

My previous posts made more my point. I was trying to get out of the Android argument.

If MS wants people to switch to their platform it needs to have the latest and greatest apps and games. If they're not there it makes people hesitate. If you're not into the latest thing than WP is fine for you but how many younger people 10 to 20 something are going to accept that? That's where I was coming from. On top of that not only do you need the latest and greatest you need the fully functional and comparable to the other OSs you're competing against. If not you'll not get people to switch.

That's the reality of the the smartphone market at this moment. You have those who will switch because they are not big app users and just want something that's good. You'll have those who want those apps and won't switch unless they're there. Then there are the loyalists who will never switch regardless how good the OS or apps situation is.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1. If you love or like this platform stop complaining and use the platform as is.

2. Use official apps over third party apps more frequent.

3. Don't be cheap support your favorite apps and games developers no matter what the cost.

4, Support your favorite OEM:s.

In the second quarter, Microsoft's smartphone shipments dropped to 7.4 million units from 8.2 million in the same period of 2013. At the same time, the Windows Phone global market share fell from 3.4% to to 2.5%.

Is MSFT is to blame for this decrease or would you blame the Windows Phone community?

Your thoughts?

1 - Criticism is what drives innovation forward. If people turn into the Microsoft-equivalent of iSheep, then Microsoft will relax even more their commitment to the platform. I enjoy WP8.1. But you can count me absolutely OUT of not criticizing everything that deserves criticism.

2 - Completely disagree. Use the apps that are better. It's stupid from the consumer point of view to use sub-par experiences just because they are official. Using Instagram BETA, for example, instead of 6tag, is just irrational. They're both free, 6tag is better and does more so why would I use the BETA instead? Instagram will not update the BETA faster because I use it instead of a third party app.

3 - Don't be silly. Supporting "no matter what the cost" is just economically irrational. If an app is great, sure, buy it. But if it's great yet they charge you 5? for it, then think twice because probably it's not THAT great.

4 - Yeah. Except, often, our favourite OEMs (in my case) either: 1 - don't produce Windows Phones (Sony); 2 - the last Windows Phone they produced was a WP7 device (LG); 3 - were driven out of the phone business by Microsoft (Nokia). So it's pointless to say "support your favourite OEMs" until people's favourite OEMs start producing WP devices.

And to answer your final question: it's Microsoft's fault that market share dropped and it's Microsoft's fault that it will continue to drop as Nokia phones start to disappear from the market. It's also Microsoft's fault that the M8 came so late (HTC explained the reason already). It's also Microsoft's fault that they can't bring in good OEMs (like Sony, LG, etc). And it's Microsoft's fault that their commitment to Windows Phone is pretty low.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
nice to see people agreeing to the pros and cons of wp and android in this thread!!
i must say while i see all my friends taunting me for not having bought an iphone or an android , they are astonished at the way my 720 works etc and also love the red unibody design plus the amazing camera and longest lasting battery life ive seen on any phone which ive owned so far
while WP still has a few cons namely lack of USB OTG , Wifi Direct and a few more which i hope will come to existing hardware if it ever comes but on the whole i think MS/Nokia has ticked the boxes for the Lumias in ways android and ios could never even dream of
its made a secure platform with no lack of bluetooth and no piracy(ios and androids main cons) and it has managed a good battery life and excellent cameras ive found their 6.7MP shooter on the 720 to beat 90% of "higher MP" cameras
despite not being an amoled device,the 720 rarely looks like a low res phone
the only other company to achieve a similiar thing was RIM/Blackberry but they were a bit late with the release of BB10 and poor marketing and initial pricing has stopped it from picking up initially
Nokia is what brought WP up, maybe the Lumias werent marketed as we expected them but they turned out to be sold,reliable devices, they priced them rather decently and gave excellent service in nearly all countries(a rarity in india,apple etc have pathetic service and always blame the consumer)

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Out of all the many people I know, only 1 other has a Window's phone.
There have been some tv adverts recently for the 630 & 930 here in the UK which is the first time ever I recall seeing any Windows Phone adverts on UK tv.
The friends / work colleagues that have seen my 930 have been impressed with the screen, Cortana also showed up Siri on a friends I phone 5, the speed / smoothness of the operating system also got mentioned plus the wireless charging.
Then again a couple of them didn't know what Windows Phone was / even existed.

It would be nice in the UK if BBC, YouView & Virgin Media - all very big companies released Windows Phone versions of there app's, we have BBC I player but that's it, all the rest of the app offering's are IOS / Android only.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the nokia x also confused markets further,people often ask me if my phones an android-the nokia x adverts make people believe all nokias are androids
they should market WP better in India atleast,also they should have made better phones than the 630 ,530,930
the 830 looks like a well made effort

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I blame Nokia/MS for not releasing upgrades. On AT&T the only phone that's better than the two year old 920 is the 1520. Two years without a real upgrade option for many people is ridiculous. They are too slow to release decent upgrades. And when they do make a new handset, 80% of the time it's missing major features from previous phones. They need to stop pinching pennies on features they figure they can get away with leaving out and aim for a quality upgrade.

I'd love to get a new phone (I have a 920) but:

1020 - blurry PenTile screen
925 - no built in Qi
930 (not on AT&T anyway) - no glance
1520 - awkward size

Still waiting for a real upgrade to be available, 2 years later...

That's why enthusiasts aren't buying new Windows Phones.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
You might be the most happiest tablet user then! Otherwise Android's tablets suck, they suck big time. I have read it in the WPcentral news that apps crash more in Android as compared to that of wp

Obviously on Windows phone central what else would you expect? Apps and games on android are more stable and fast compared to WP

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Forget about what's not in wp! Most of the apps available in wp are more stable as compared to Android or iOS. That's also a main reason that many android users turn to wp, out of the total wp users more than 27% previously owned an Android phone
This is not a very smart statement. Of course 27% of total wp users previously owned Android phones, that is because more than half of the world uses Android! Of course, they will supply more people switching! This is just common sense.

And by the way, 27% of total WP users is an insignificant number when compared to the total number of people using Android. For perspective, understand that last quarter alone 300M people bought Android phones compared to 7M for Windows Phone. Even if 50% of those were previous Android users, that is still less than 4M. A joke compared to the 300M that actually bought into it.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
1. If you love or like this platform stop complaining and use the platform as is.

But what about when they remove the features that made me like WP in the first place?

2. Use official apps over third party apps more frequent.

Why, if official apps are crap/non-existent?

3. Don't be cheap support your favorite apps and games developers no matter what the cost.

I gladly but an app or a game, even more so if I know that an indie developer is behind it. However, when I send an email asking the developer about a feature that is not available in the demo, and costs 2? extra (plus additional 2 to remove adds), and I get no reply, why would I waste money on something that may not work as I want it to? 'It's only 4?', yes, it's not a lot, but there are developers who respond in an hour, and I'll rather buy their apps. Unfortunately, I don't make a million a month, so I can't just go buying all the apps there are.

4, Support your favorite OEM:s.

I don't understand this, I already have a Nokia phone, am I supposed to buy every new phone they release and wear their T-shirts? When they offer an amazing phone with no compromises, I'll support them again (glance, no yellow tint in camera, no overheating, etc.)

In the second quarter, Microsoft's smartphone shipments dropped to 7.4 million units from 8.2 million in the same period of 2013. At the same time, the Windows Phone global market share fell from 3.4% to to 2.5%.

No wonder, there has been so little new phones available. 930 is unappealing to me as an upgrade from 925, because it doesn't have glance and there's no sd card slot. If they released a radically different (better) phone, I'm sure it would succeed. For example, built in 64GB basic, and 50? extra for 128GB built-in storage. Stores sell 64GB flash drives for 20?, isn't it about time we drop the 16/32GB phones and advance? Also if they offered something extra to WP users, it would be nice, like a BETTER skype experience than on other platforms, MORE onedrive storage (you don't get '15GB with windows phone', you get 15GB when you create a M$ account, it makes no difference if you even have a smartphone. If they offered 50GB to all WP users, or even 1 year of office 365, they would boost the sales a lot. Free maps are a good step in this direction though.
Yes, HTC One M8 is now also on WP, but it's aging hardware already, and except for software, it offers no extra advantages over it's android brother. Toss in a free bluetooth headset or something, and not just for US.

Is MSFT is to blame for this decrease or would you blame the Windows Phone community?

Read above. Also coming from little country in the middle of Europe, I never get any special treatment from any OEM, while there are constant rewards, free services, freebies with purchase etc. going on in US and maybe UK. When they realize they can do something extra for other countries as well (after all, WP is more popular in Asia and Europe than US) maybe they would gain more users.
Windows Phone community is great though, but it's not like a few enthusiasts can save a platform.

Your thoughts?

Don't get me wrong, I still like WP, my 925 is in repairs right now, and I got a middle range android in the meantime, and I miss my Lumia. The OS flows, it looks nice, it's consistent, there are many many thing that WP does right. The problem is, they require some time getting used to, if you're coming from another platform, and M$ is removing those exact features to lure in users of other platforms, while disappointing existing WP users. It also seems like they don't have things figured out quite yet, and they're just experimenting. They should stick with the solutions they come up with, and show that they stand by their platform. And they need to fix music app and skype. They're both terrible.

Genesis Coupe

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree here. People always hate on the wp app store in the ratings for the official apps and then they wonder why the official companies do not wanna update their apps. there is no support or at least not enough. I see people posting things like "rudy makes a better instagram app then you do instagram".... Why would you say that to the people who are working on making the wp store more enjoyable. yes as of now the 6tag app to me is better than the instagram beta.. but don't be idiots and talk crap.. deal with it, show support and we shall get better updates...

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Obviously on Windows phone central what else would you expect? Apps and games on android are more stable and fast compared to WP

More stable? Are you kidding me? So many of my friends have android, all their phones lag, not always but definitely. Even my friends note 3 lags. I know many people love using android but that's most of high end phones, people with a cheaper phone always have a problem with their phones because it always lags, hangs etc. I know windows lacks apps & games, but they are coming, there won't be an exponential growth in windows apps & I even understand that Not all the people are patient about it. The main thing I like about Windows is that its a heck lot stable, smoother as compared to Android, my 2 year old Lumia 710 still works buttery smooth, even when it had 1 mb phone memory remaining, it didn't lag a bit. My current Lumia 1320 also works good even when its phone memory was full, with only 700kb memory remaining. Also even iOS is good at that point, that it does not lag. So the only thing that windows needs are more number of apps, but we all know that. Also out of the total windows phone users, more than 27% of them previously owned an android phone. Also on Nokia site people give good reviews to windows. Just say before some years back when wp7 came, it didn't have Bluetooth sharing, NFC, micro sd support, dual sim support, but now you have it. Most of the people think that Microsoft is not listening to them but that's not the case, it takes its own time to improve windows, I know its more time, but still we have more features now

But more & more people are turning to wp, I accept that windows lacks apps, but still those 27% love windows. You just cannot have an instant growth on your own OS, when the rest 80% of the people in the world are using the other one
(sorry I quoted this to you by mistake, it was for jbestman)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
1 - Criticism is what drives innovation forward. If people turn into the Microsoft-equivalent of iSheep, then Microsoft will relax even more their commitment to the platform. I enjoy WP8.1. But you can count me absolutely OUT of not criticizing everything that deserves criticism.

2 - Completely disagree. Use the apps that are better. It's stupid from the consumer point of view to use sub-par experiences just because they are official. Using Instagram BETA, for example, instead of 6tag, is just irrational. They're both free, 6tag is better and does more so why would I use the BETA instead? Instagram will not update the BETA faster because I use it instead of a third party app.

3 - Don't be silly. Supporting "no matter what the cost" is just economically irrational. If an app is great, sure, buy it. But if it's great yet they charge you 5? for it, then think twice because probably it's not THAT great.

4 - Yeah. Except, often, our favourite OEMs (in my case) either: 1 - don't produce Windows Phones (Sony); 2 - the last Windows Phone they produced was a WP7 device (LG); 3 - were driven out of the phone business by Microsoft (Nokia). So it's pointless to say "support your favourite OEMs" until people's favourite OEMs start producing WP devices.

And to answer your final question: it's Microsoft's fault that market share dropped and it's Microsoft's fault that it will continue to drop as Nokia phones start to disappear from the market. It's also Microsoft's fault that the M8 came so late (HTC explained the reason already). It's also Microsoft's fault that they can't bring in good OEMs (like Sony, LG, etc). And it's Microsoft's fault that their commitment to Windows Phone is pretty low.

That's exactly what i think, too....and much more.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
More stable? Are you kidding me? So many of my friends have android, all their phones lag, not always but definitely. Even my friends note 3 lags. I know many people love using android but that's most of high end phones, people with a cheaper phone always have a problem with their phones because it always lags, hangs etc. I know windows lacks apps & games, but they are coming, there won't be an exponential growth in windows apps & I even understand that Not all the people are patient about it. The main thing I like about Windows is that its a heck lot stable, smoother as compared to Android, my 2 year old Lumia 710 still works buttery smooth, even when it had 1 mb phone memory remaining, it didn't lag a bit. My current Lumia 1320 also works good even when its phone memory was full, with only 700kb memory remaining. Also even iOS is good at that point, that it does not lag. So the only thing that windows needs are more number of apps, but we all know that. Also out of the total windows phone users, more than 27% of them previously owned an android phone. Also on Nokia site people give good reviews to windows. Just say before some years back when wp7 came, it didn't have Bluetooth sharing, NFC, micro sd support, dual sim support, but now you have it. Most of the people think that Microsoft is not listening to them but that's not the case, it takes its own time to improve windows, I know its more time, but still we have more features now
You don't understand my point.Yes android as an Os may lag.Though things are different now but apps and games are much better in quality. I don't care about quantity but i care about quality..Try to compare top games and apps on both android and WP, you will see the difference..I have both android(Moto g) and windows phone( Lumia 520) so i know..WP as an OS is more stable and fast but apps totally sucks on it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)