Ad Block in WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But since you did dig it up, I'll comment. Really, you are taking from someone. You are taking content that they created, consuming it for your purposes and you are denying them the revenue that they expect to get through the ads that they intended to have displayed with their content. In the strictest sense of the word, this is theft.

Could this very website exist if everyone blocked the ads and stole the content? My guess is no.

How about ads like this one? Would you like this on your website/app? :eck: I took the screenshot about 5 minutes ago. It might be better if this ad was blocked!

WPCAd.jpg

Last edited:

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Do they pay per click, per impression, or both? Anyways I'm in the camp that doesn't believe ad blockers are theft since the site's content isn't behind a pay wall. It's displayed free and clear, plus WPC also has additional revenue streams via the store and app.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I work in IT. I'm a software guy, but every once in a blue moon I'll grab a tech bench if my work is slow and PC repair is busy. A good share of that business comes from virus removal. And a good share of that comes from mindless clicking. I'm always leery of clicking on ads. I virtually never purposely click on an ad on a webpage. If I see something in an ad that I'm interested in, I'll usually just search for it and go to it that way. So even though an ad may ultimately be my motivation for buying, there's no click recorded.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Do they pay per click, per impression, or both? Anyways I'm in the camp that doesn't believe ad blockers are theft since the site's content isn't behind a pay wall. It's displayed free and clear, plus WPC also has additional revenue streams via the store and app.
It depends on the ad network. Some are per click, some are per view.

I work in IT. I'm a software guy, but every once in a blue moon I'll grab a tech bench if my work is slow and PC repair is busy. A good share of that business comes from virus removal. And a good share of that comes from mindless clicking. I'm always leery of clicking on ads. I virtually never purposely click on an ad on a webpage. If I see something in an ad that I'm interested in, I'll usually just search for it and go to it that way. So even though an ad may ultimately be my motivation for buying, there's no click recorded.
This is me - I'm pretty much an IT generalist, I've done development as well as help desk and server and sql admin, and I don't click on ads.

deadbarney

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Quick question to hopmedic: do you pay Scott Adams a royalty or fee for use of his Dilbert cartoon used as your avatar? If not, does this not make you a thief and hypocrite too? ;)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to correct misunderstandings, to steal is to take the property of others without right or permission. At no point in any of this would that be true. Theft is the act of stealing, and so also falls as a term in this matter. Just because a web site has poor advertising contract terms, the web site user is not to blame. I never click on adverts on sites as that is the best way to get an infected pc. If I don't use such ads, no need for them to take up unnecessary bandwidth from my allowance. It is pointless and profits no-one but my carrier, who makes plenty as it is.

At the end of the day, I decide what data goes in and out of my equipment over the connections I pay for. You decide what data you are willing to send out of your server and to whom, as you pay for it. If you don't like me viewing the content of your server, don't give it to me. If I don't like what you want to send to my equipment, you can be sure I won't be allowing you to. At least, untill my phone gets involved where I have less control for some reason (probably 'security reasons' again...).

Last edited:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ad block OP asks which used to be offered on Android market is to block in app ads, not just browsers. Android has much more open API so that apps can inject deep into the OS network traffic. By blocking certain network traffic, it blocks ads. I don't think WP8 has such API open.

Google did the right thing to block these types of apps. It is detrimental to healthy app market. If devs are not get paid one way of another, majority of them will simply quite writing any new apps for that platform. Today, the top earners on Google's Play market are almost always those free apps with ad.

You are free to do whatever you can to restrict the data flow to your phone. Nothing app dev can do about it. It is not theft. But remember, what you are doing is basically killing off any interests from those devs to develop new apps for your phone. So, don't cry why there is no apps for your phone anymore.

Those who are willing for work for free is called communists. Communism doesn't work in real world regardless the good intention.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Those willing to work for free are called volunteers, not communists. If you don't know what communism is, best not mention it as you'll not seem wise.

I don't mind people making money. They need to negotiate a better contract though. TV stations don't lose money if I fast forward through the ads. They get paid because they display ads that I can view if I wish. Same is true of web sites. Complaining to users about this is pointless. If you want a decent deal, get a decent contract. Simples.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A few ppl making a few apps for free is called volunteers. If you want every one work for free, it is called communism. As simple as that.

As for contract, it is not like individual developer's have that kind of power to negotiate a contract (with who?). You either get paid via ad or via payment. If everyone is blocking ads in app, the ad agency doesn't get paid and there will be no more ad supported apps.

Same is true for TV stations, if everyone skips ad with a DVR, no one will buy those advertised products. Without that, companies see no advantage for putting ads on that station. And in the end, the station will be bought or closed the door.

I don't care what you do one way or another but it seems that some don't mind others to watch/click on ads (so to support content providers) just not themselves. That's called selfishness.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Again, you don't understand what communism is and this is not the right place for me to educate you in this regard. Communism is not a kind of big charity. To your mind the RNLI would all be communists. Please keep political debates to a suitable forum, for your own sake.

Individual developers may not have the power to change things. That is no reason to give up though, work together with your app dev colleagues and then you are no longer an individual. Tried and trusted, that approach. If everyone was blocking the ads, then surely the ad companies would want to negotiate more practical terms? You argue for my point.

Everyone doesn't skip all the ads with a DVR. They watch the ones they want to watch. Much past research has shown that people with DVRs actually watch MORE ads than those without. This is because if you are not constantly being assaulted by ads you don't want to be bothered with you are more likely to watch those you are interested in rather then mentally filtering them all out or using the ad break to make a cup of tea. Web site advertising needs to grow up and realise that shouting at consumers is very primitive and not the best way of making money. If people don't want to see the ads for the products you offer that is fine because they won't be interested in buying those products anyway. The trick is to show the ads to the people who want the products you offer. That increases viewership for the ads, it is a win for all.

Lukas Jankauskas

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
How can anyone defend adds? It's a parasite to everything where it is shown. None really profits from, unless they force it on you and annoy you to death so you would buy a premium, paid, plus or what ever version. It always ruins user experience be it tv commercial, useless stands, web adds, youtube adds, anything. I won't ever buy an app which has apps in free version(with few exceptions) no real professional would add them.

Same is true for TV stations, if everyone skips ad with a DVR, no one will buy those advertised products. Without that, companies see no advantage for putting ads on that station. And in the end, the station will be bought or closed the door.

So you tell me that people actually buy stuff because they saw it on a commercial?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How can anyone defend adds? It's a parasite to everything where it is shown. None really profits from, unless they force it on you and annoy you to death so you would buy a premium, paid, plus or what ever version. It always ruins user experience be it tv commercial, useless stands, web adds, youtube adds, anything. I won't ever buy an app which has apps in free version(with few exceptions) no real professional would add them.
A very na?ve position to take.

http://devblog.ailon.org/devblog/po...09cmonetizee2809d-your-WP7-apps-on-Day-1.aspx
http://www.farseergames.com/blog/2010/12/8/krashlander-sales-numbers-post.html
http://sigurdsnorteland.wordpress.c...ace-downloads-and-sales-data-one-month-later/

Lukas Jankauskas

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
From your links
During gold rush periods people tend to forget general business rules. If you are in it for a long run your goal at launch should be building reputation, buzz and as a result popularity for your app, not turning a profit.

And yet every new comer to WP market or every new ****ty app or even app copies/fake apps comes with ads going for "profit". I suppose I should have been more informative about my exceptions. I would buy or use an ad version from trusted dev.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
From your links

And yet every new comer to WP market or every new ****ty app or even app copies/fake apps comes with ads going for "profit". I suppose I should have been more informative about my exceptions. I would buy or use an ad version from trusted dev.

Glad you found the one line out of three articles that supported your position you think supports your position. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte