After today here is what it look like in the US- is this enough?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So after today's announcements here is what it will look like in the USA in the fall and holiday months. I am assuming the 730 and 830 will be available with USA carries:

Lumia 530
Lumia 635
Lumia 735
Lumia 830
Lumia 929/Icon
Samsung ATIV SE
HTC M8

So is this enough? Hardware wise the flagships are still the Icon, Samsung ATIV SE and HTC M8 which technically use old hardware. Also, the Icon is still only available with one carrier. I just don't see this lineup attacting more users in the US and from what I have seen on pricing they are not pricing them to take sales away from anyone. It also doesn't help when 2 out of the 3 major US carriers have not updated their current phones to Windows 8.1 yet too. I just don't have a confident feeling anymore about Windows Phone 8.1 here in the US.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You've left out the 1520. There's been chatter about a newer 1520 variant the 1525 for Tmo and ATT. It hasn't ben heard of officially but it could be coming. The specs for the 830 seem pretty good and the video here on WPC looked great IMHO. I think that the picture is not as bleak as you are painting.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
US carriers have been dead silent on availability. My guess is that they are delaying the launch here to give HTC a chance to sell the one. Issue with that is it's currently only available on one carrier and there's an unknown ETA on other carriers. So how long after wide availability of the one will the Lumias be available? This is really pushing up against holiday time with no time to raise awareness through marketing. I understand the need to bring other OEMs into the fold, but I think this is not good for Windows Phone overall in the US.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry,I did forget about the phablets. I totally agree with you-no US carriers have announced a thing. Verizon is dragging their behinds in supporting the Icon. It still doesn't look good. The new phones are just not compelling enough.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 830, and 735 and 730 are not coming to the US.

So we have the 530, 630, and the Icon, 1520, HTC M8 for windows, and the ATIV SE.

The 1020 is a 2 year old phone... nothing new.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The 830, and 735 and 730 are not coming to the US.

So we have the 530, 630, and the Icon, 1520, HTC M8 for windows, and the ATIV SE.

The 1020 is a 2 year old phone... nothing new.

Bullpucky, the 830 and 735 are listed on Nokia's US-EN website. If you go to Nokia's global website there is a link that is for the United States for the 735 and 830. What a bogus rumor. I assume the dual sim 730 isn't coming to the US so maybe that is where all of this started.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
kingp, I was glancing at Paul's twitter feed today and saw a comment that might be relevant. He said it would be suicide to announce any flagship phones just before the iPhone 6 announcement. I'm hoping that Paul knows something and that there may indeed be something held back - at least I'm crossing my fingers.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that there is going to be a hole for the rest of the year. The HTC should be spread out to other carriers and tons of advertising done. I think
MS needs one more flagship before the Holidays to round out the litter. They say that they are going after the mid and lower market but to have that premier signature, they need to keep at least one flagship in the publics face all of the time i.e. Sammy and iPhone. imho

Tony DeLuce

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Notice they were comparing the 830 to the "flag ships" of Apple and Samsung and these were not the iPhone 6 or Note 4. I bet they are waiting to trump both of them with the 1530 once the buzz dies down a bit on them...

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Saw the green 1520 today. Great color, loved the phone.

Just not sure WP 8.1 is compelling enough for people to switch. I definitely feel the core OS is superior in most ways to Android and iOS.

Hate to go back to it, but I think it really does come down to the app gap. For instance, the MLS and MiLB apps aren't on WP yet. For sports fans that's a big blow.

Again, love the OS, would love to see it do well. Just not too sure how it will do against a 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen iPhone or whatever high end thing Samsung puts out next.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Nokia and MSFT are clueless. I'm going to keep my 1520 but I will be buying a Note 4 when it is available. That is cutting edge hardware.
sent using tapatalk app

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
There must be something coming to replace the 1520 on AT&T because they don't even list the 32GB variant on their site, only the 16GB.

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
There must be something coming to replace the 1520 on AT&T because they don't even list the 32GB variant on their site, only the 16GB.
If there is, the retail stores are being kept in the dark. I've been in the three by me weekly for two months now and they have no idea. All are down to 3 phones available too.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Guys, look historically. Microsoft announces phones like 2 weeks before they release. I have that worried tick as well that we won't have a flagship device but I am keeping faith. It would be utterly stupid to announce a flagship phone around the release of Iphone 6. I think we will hear something beginning of October in regards to a watch and new flagship phone. And they will release probe beginning of November. I'm hoping and praying this is the case cause my contract is up and I desperately want out of my 928 and nothing on the market now is worth a 2 year contract on. Well, maybe the 1520 but I'm on Verizon. So Microsoft better be doing something!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo