Aghhh decent music apps?

Lysander666

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to WP8, only had mine a week or so but what I really want, more than anything, is a decent, intuitive music app. Nokia Music is not very.. clever.. how it organises your music, and after a couple of minutes paused it will just stop your song. Doesn't sound that great either.

What decent downloadable music apps are there that are actually good? I wanted to use Winamp but no, not allowed here.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
First post and it had to be negative. That's too bad.

WP fortunately has a good many music players. Probably more than any type of other app. You shouldn't have a hard time finding one.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
WP fortunately has a good many music players. Probably more than any type of other app. You shouldn't have a hard time finding one.

A harder time than you think. I've been looking for one for a couple of months now. Tried several from the store, but haven't found one that either doesn't suffer from the duplicate song issue with music stored on SD card, or is very laggy with my fairly large collection of songs. So WP may have a good many music player, but it doesn't have many (any) good music players - at least not for people like me who want to manage a large local music collection and not stream from the cloud).

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Nokia Lumia handset, there is no reason to not use Nokia Music. Perfect for offline listening of cloud stored music from Nokia, and can certainly manage locally stored tracks well too. If you are on a non-Nokia handset, try Flat Beats, Pandora (not sure if it handles local though), TuneIn Radio (again, not sure that it handles local, more of a radio app) or Audiocloud. There's a lot of good cloud based apps, maybe try them out? I've made the switch to cloud for my mobile devices, and even though I'm strapped for data usage to 1gb a month, I download it for offline play and its fantastic.

Hope this helps!

Chris

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Nokia Lumia handset, there is no reason to not use Nokia Music. Perfect for offline listening of cloud stored music from Nokia, and can certainly manage locally stored tracks well too.

Nokia Music has an issue (as does Xbox M+V) where the music library displays multiple copies of the same song when using local music. This is a widespread issue as detailed in this thread and many others. For me this had made Nokia Music and Xbox M+V completely unusable.

If you are on a non-Nokia handset, try Flat Beats, Pandora (not sure if it handles local though), TuneIn Radio (again, not sure that it handles local, more of a radio app) or Audiocloud. There's a lot of good cloud based apps, maybe try them out? I've made the switch to cloud for my mobile devices, and even though I'm strapped for data usage to 1gb a month, I download it for offline play and its fantastic.

Tried most of the ones you mentioned. All either don't support local media libraries or are very slow to access music on SD card (Class 10 Sandisk), and/or provide limited features. I don't want to use cloud storage. I'm on the road a fair bit and also travel out of the country often, so on-demand services don't work well for me.

I have given up on WP8 for the time being. While the fluidity of the UI is fantastic, functionality lacks in several areas, this being one. I'm currently using my old Sony Xperia S. The Walkman music app on this works extremely well.

rAj06

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree - WP8 lacks good music app. I am coming from Xperia S - Walkman feature of Sony is really good - I miss that. Hope we will get a good music app soon!

Natrox

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I want to have a music app with hardware button support. With the built-in media player, I am stuck using earphones with a button (such as the ones included with the Huawei W1), but I'd rather use my Sennheisers. If such a music player will not be made, I guess I'll just create a hardware adapter with a button myself.

If anyone has used PowerAMP on Android, I'd like button functionality similar to that. The buttons are there on my device, now it's time for Microsoft to expose them.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I keep seeing new music apps come out and wonder why developers keep making them. Personally, I listen to a lot of music and use Xbox music and have a subscription. I also have Windows 8 and my music collection is synced between my computer and phone. I have about 9000 songs on my computer, but of course, XBox only upload the songs they have in their library. But still, I have a lot of my music on my phone. Now, most of the songs are streaming versions, by you can download the songs/albums, as long as you have Xbox music subscription. You have to download an album at a time. I know some people won't ever be happy with xbox music, and yes, it can be better, but with a subscription, it does pretty good.

yeto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use Sky Music but I am sure I am missing something. What is wrong with Sky Music app? What is it that it cannot do that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help,
yeto

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I have always used xbox music and videos without problems.

I just plug the phone, and drag and drop the mp3s to the music folder of the phone.

Never had a duplicate issue. Maybe it only happens when you use the desktop software to sync??

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't listen to music very much. On trip I listen to cd's and dvd's but on the phone not so much. I listen to internet radio also.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah and we don't have any 3rd party video player,too. Any news from VLC ?? I'm having a lot of hope from blue update,hope MS open video api for devs. I really missing powermp3 on wp...I've been using it since s60v2....

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I'm new here also, but you must be joking. None of the apps have search or playlist creation. Those are both absolute musts. I'm no android ******, but there are at least 20 apps with these functions in android. IOS also allows this since ios5. What is the deal with this? I just bought a lumia 920.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
In Xbox music, the artists, albums, and even songs are listed alphabetically. So yeah, there might be some scrolling involved, but everything is listed. You can make a playlist in xbox by using the Add to Now Playing Option. Some other treads explain this and it's not where it should be, but the option is there, albeit not ideal.

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but I've got thousands of tracks so that is not a solution. Onm the stock jelly bean app, I can search for a song, hold down on the tag, and create a new playlist. All these apps are so limited! How can MS have not included this in the OS?!

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
even though this isn't finished at all, you should have a look on this app: [APP BETA]Windows Phone music player - xda-developers
He's trying his best and also explains what's possible and what's not (due to the API limitations) and really achieved a lot in a little amount of time.

Been there and tried that. He needs more time to get things straightened out it's unusable as it stands.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I use Sky Music but I am sure I am missing something. What is wrong with Sky Music app? What is it that it cannot do that I am missing?

How many songs do you store locally on your SD card? Sky Music is OK in functionality, but for me it often crashed and was slow to load the local library.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb