All my videos are gone! Thanks Microsoft!!! How can I get them back?

fnanfne

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
All my videos are gone! Thanks Microsoft!!!

Hi

So I have setup my Nokia Lumia 1020 phone to upload all my photos and videos to OneDrive automatically, all in the highest quality possible.

I manually delete all this data from my phone every now and then (as I KNOW they are being uploaded to OneDrive) but when I looked in my OneDrive to find a video of my son's recent birth, I couldn't find it!!!

Further investigation elucidated that the OneDrive upload settings on my phone had reverted back to default so photos will be uploaded in standard quality and videos WILL NOT BE UPLOADED at all! I suspect this was due to some update but how ?&%# up is this?

ALL the videos I've taken of my son's birth and his subsequent life is now lost??? Does anyone know if there is any way to get this back?

FFS!!!

Thanks for reading...

:crying:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow... That is... Yeah.
Anyways, did you have Wi-Fi on?

Maybe if the videos were uploaded in any way possible, then you can probably get them back with OneDrive's customer support.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: All my videos are gone! Thanks Microsoft!!!

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Unfortunately as far as I know there is no ability to regain any deleted content on a WP. If it had been a SD card you would have stood a chance.

If it's not on OneDrive or your computer it's gone.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Why didn't you log in to your OneDrive & check the files where safely uploaded in to the cloud BEFORE deleting them from the phone? Saving them to a computer & / or burning them to disc would also be a good idea for data you must keep. What would you have done if Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage had a system failure & lost your only copy of a precious file?

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I have NEVER had that happen or heard of anyone else have that happen to them and i have done a lot...i mean a lot of experiments on my phone. You sure its not a user error?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have NEVER had that happen or heard of anyone else have that happen to them and i have done a lot...i mean a lot of experiments on my phone. You sure its not a user error?

Why didn't you log in to your OneDrive & check the files where safely uploaded in to the cloud BEFORE deleting them from the phone? Saving them to a computer & / or burning them to disc would also be a good idea for data you must keep. What would you have done if Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage had a system failure & lost your only copy of a precious file?

Though I agree to both of you we should try to be nice to them. In this case it was a mix bag of user error and over confidence of the OS settings.

However, they obviously lost something that was important to them and you have to feel sorry for them even if it wasn't the most clever of things to do.

fnanfne

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Anyways, did you have Wi-Fi on? Maybe if the videos were uploaded in any way possible, then you can probably get them back with OneDrive's customer support

Yes I did, the wifi is never off. I will defo pursue this with OneDrive support, cheers for the suggestion!

Why didn't you log in to your OneDrive & check the files where safely uploaded in to the cloud BEFORE deleting them from the phone? What would you have done if Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage had a system failure & lost your only copy of a precious file?

If I can point you to what I said in my original post... "as I KNOW they are being uploaded to OneDrive"

For the latter part of your comment. I don't keep these files on OneDrive indefinitely! I back up whenever OneDrive fills up. I have two 2TB NAS drives onto which I copy all my photos and videos, as and when the need arises. Burning to disk is futile, time consuming and not very dependable. I used to do this a decade ago but found so many of my old CD's and DVD's not readable anymore after some years. The disks just degrade too quickly and the data thereon gets corrupted. Yes, I know my NAS drives can play up too but what else can you do, perhaps have these NAS's in a RAID configuration? But honestly, who does that?

Can't be. All my photos were uploaded to OneDrive, albeit in standard quality (so much for the super high res, 41MP) The last videos on my OneDrive was the few I took at my work's annual Christmas party, this was on the 21st of December 2014 so I suspect that if I dig deeper, I'll find that a Windows update occurred around after that time.

Though I agree to both of you we should try to be nice to them. In this case it was a mix bag of user error and over confidence of the OS settings.

Absolutely, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. This all happened as a result of my over confidence in the 8.1 OS for WP. Yes, I should've checked OneDrive before deleting but unfortunately, we don't live in "should've world"

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. This all happened as a result of my over confidence in the 8.1 OS for WP. Yes, I should've checked OneDrive before deleting but unfortunately, we don't live in "should've world"

I've been around tech too long now to know to never trust it. I've learnt from many first hand experiences unfortunately. I've lost videos, photos and data. Both due to myself and technology.

There's no such thing as bulletproof and I always check my settings now to be on the safe side.

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Never trust technology :/ If there's something that's completely and utterly important then always make sure there's a human connection somewhere along the lines too. BTW, leaving the backups on a cloud server would probably be safest too— a couple of hard drives in a room aren't very useful if the house burns down one weekend when you're away, and these are things insurance can't replace.

If it was recently that this happened, you may find that they, or at least some, are still recoverable from your phone, as when something's deleted it isn't actually "deleted," but the space is just marked as safe for overwrite. A program called Recuva has worked well for me in the past. Connect up your phone to the PC, and then get Recuva to do a scan, or if it finds nothing, a deep scan, which takes longer but can find more stuff. If you see things you want, you can extract them, but make sure they are extracted to a different disk, rather than your phone, or you might find the writing process overwrites other stuff you might want. In the meantime, try not to save anything with your phone if you can avoid it.

My son is currently eight days old, so I know how you must feel. The post-birth blur does funny things to us. Good luck, but remember you'll have many more years of memories!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If it was recently that this happened, you may find that they, or at least some, are still recoverable from your phone, as when something's deleted it isn't actually "deleted," but the space is just marked as safe for overwrite. A program called Recuva has worked well for me in the past. Connect up your phone to the PC, and then get Recuva to do a scan, or if it finds nothing, a deep scan, which takes longer but can find more stuff. If you see things you want, you can extract them, but make sure they are extracted to a different disk, rather than your phone, or you might find the writing process overwrites other stuff you might want. In the meantime, try not to save anything with your phone if you can avoid it

This won't work. The phones internal storage cannot be accessed using data recovery software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb