Always On Display / Glance Screen

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
So I coaxed a screenshot of my son's S7 settings screen, with the Samsung equivalent of Glance Screen.

Wonder why HP dropped the ball on this.

8FHtFm8.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They just didn't put in the effort to create the feature.

One can say the iPhone and Blackberries don't have it.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
They just didn't put in the effort to create the feature.

One can say the iPhone and Blackberries don't have it.

Little bit more complicated than that ;) The MS/Nokia version is not something built into the OS and MS did not give it to HP to use, possibly due to licensing. There's never been a non-Lumia Windows phone with Glance to date.

There is also the issue of security: Enteprise users may not want info displayed on the screen that can be viewed without a password. I know it's kind of trivial (you can still power on someone's device to see their Lock screen), but it is something that HP has to think about when putting in features.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think this came down to practicality as a business phone. Privacy and battery life are of higher importance than a convenience feature, especially since the glance screen would only be visible if the device is left sitting out on a table.
personally, I wouldn't mind having it when the device is charging (as long as it turned off at night), but other than that, I don't see any need.

They're definitely listening to feedback though, so maybe it'll get added at some point, if enough users request it.

KrakenGt1

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Little bit more complicated than that ;) The MS/Nokia version is not something built into the OS and MS did not give it to HP to use, possibly due to licensing. There's never been a non-Lumia Windows phone with Glance to date.

There is also the issue of security: Enteprise users may not want info displayed on the screen that can be viewed without a password. I know it's kind of trivial (you can still power on someone's device to see their Lock screen), but it is something that HP has to think about when putting in features.

Look, I know we all want to make excuses for these guys. Daniel, you being a Windows Phone Aficionado, how can you support a *lack* of a feature?

Lets look at the excuse given to us here..."privacy issues" - I'm just not buying it. As a fellow windows phone lover, I just don't buy it. Glance screen lets the user specifically pick and choose what the user wants being displayed. Now, you keep saying that the lack of Glance availability is due to licensing - NOT saying you're wrong here. Try to follow along:

When you want to pack as many features as possible, especially at a price tag of $800, do you really feel like HP is not capable of making such a feature available under their own terms and conditions? Make your own software, have it replicate some sort of "always on" functionality, and give the user the ability to choose what they want being displayed.

I'm tired of Windows Phone lacking in features that other phones come with starting at $300.

"Privacy concern" is by far the silliest excuse, and anyone who buys it, is equally as silly. Do you really feel as though an employee is compromising security by displaying the time on his phone? Or the number of calls someone has missed? Or the number of text messages awaiting him? How is an "always on" feature a security breach or security concern of any sort? The user gets to choose what he wants displayed.

I love Windowsphone, but we the users need to stop enabling WP platforms to carry less features in comparison to the market.

Try to understand my point here: Why remove a feature entirely? Rather than including a feature, and giving the end user the choice to turn it on or off? It's like a radio in a car. "oh our targeted audience doesn't really listen to music, so we removed the radio from our cars".... What? Yea, it's really that ridiculous.

Signing off,
Happy 950XL owner...

Last edited:

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I have always been using Windows phone and have taken glance screen for granted. I didn't even realize until very recently that it is not available on Android and iOS and is something very special. I do agree that glance screen is vital and will be missed.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Look, I know we all want to make excuses for these guys. Daniel, you being a Windows Phone Aficionado, how can you support a *lack* of a feature?

FFS who said I supported it? This is what I was told by HP when I asked off-the-record. It's not even making up excuses, it's not guessing.

I'd love to have Glance. I point out that there is no Glance numerous times. That has literally nothing to do with the fact that HP does not own the tech behind Glance and MS has not built it into Windows 10 Mobile for OEMs to leverage.

Why remove a feature entirely?

No one removed it. It was never there to begin with. Glance is not part of the OS. Let's also mention how there is no EQ, there is no Rich Capture, no Living Images, no Gadgets, and on and on...all not part of the OS. Any Nokia "magic" that was customized into the Lumia line is not part of Windows 10 Mobile.

"Privacy concern" is by far the silliest excuse...Lets look at the excuse given to us here..."privacy issues" - I'm just not buying it.

Great, go tell HP that then. It's their phone, their customer base they are selling this too. Again, you are speaking as a prosumer, which is not their market for this phone. You're making this so personal and about you when it's not.

It doesn't matter if you believe it, it's what I have been told when I asked around. Use the HP feedback and tell them if it bothers you so much.

You folks need to stop conflating my own personal opinions with what I learn and report. Let's be clear: I'm not on anyone's team here. Not yours, not HPs. I'm simply reporting what I have been told about this topic when I asked.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

From a security stand point it makes a little more sense. It is one less thing hp has to figure out how to secure. It is also one less thing enterprises have to manage under mdm.

sent by mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't see why HP does not allow the screen timeout feature be used during continuum dock to also be used globally on the phone. Then at least you get date/time and battery life. How do we submit for features like this? I have only seen a device survey and open text suggestions available. Maybe I have not poked around on their device hub enough...

sent by mTalk

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I just want to chip in on this whole "elite is a business /enterprise marketed phone"

So while I appreciate HP did not design this phone with the general public in mind, the majority of mobiles in use in business I dare say are consumer-grade phones and are seemingly, not an issue in enterprise environments.

This phone is by no means "feature packed" with enterprise related features other than what MS are making as part of the OS and applies to all of their phones. Biometrics on phones are consumer-grade level in my opinion, as they are prevalent in consumer-marketed phones, simply having such features available doesn't make it any more enterprise than the many consumer phones available - it's not filling in any "enterprise" gap.

HP's only enterprise targeted features are pogo? pins and HP workspace, yet remote desktop isn't new and the pins are likely to be equally dominated by some universal USB C alternative.

An always on screen for notifications is more of an enterprise-grade feature, even though phones in general are a consumer targeted since the general public is the biggest audience for phones. I dont see why someone in any professional industry would want to switch on their screen every time to see notifications when sitting at their desk or wherever.

I also dont see the issue of it when the folio case automatically turns the screen on when flipped. The fact that these same notifications that may be of concern pop up on my linked windows 10, just makes it all sound very silly. If it's an issue, surely a business would disable it.

It's a poor and not a legitimate excuse. HP using this "enterprise" tag is general nonsense anyway. Two phones, one packed with consumer features, has a finger print sensor and an always on screen, the other is similar spec, but lacks any consumer features... which one will the employee want? Not mentioning the latter is also the most expensive.

I mean it's entirely contradictory to have dual sims, for "work and personal" then say, oh but we dont want to target the "personal" side of the phone.

Mobiles by nature are generally consumer-targeted because its "people" are using it at the end of the day. Dual sim is popular because people don't want two phones, one for work and one for personal use, they want one phone with familiarity, comfort, ease across both uses.

If HP are going to keep standing behind the whole 'elite as an enterprise grade phone' purely to market it to corporate clients and as a means of ignoring all consumer-grade features, they will soon dig their own grave with this investment.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows doesn't have any way to set separate timeouts depending on whether the device is docked/undocked. That suggestion could go on the Feedback Hub. Since there were already a number of Continuum features announced, this would be a nice one for them to add.
I suppose you could also suggest for MS to build Glance into Windows (of course it'd still be up to OEMs to build hardware that supports it). That way it'd be available to all Windows devices that have capable hardware.

Sending feedback to HP can be done in the HP Device Hub app on the x3. That's the official way to send feedback directly to HP.
HP's official forums, and even unofficial forums like this one, are sometimes monitored for feedback (not really a guaranteed way to make sure it's seen, but if a lot of customers are sending feedback they'll take notice).

KrakenGt1

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Just so you know the New Google Pixel has nothing at all for the screen when locked. Is not just HP or Windows.

It is unacceptable regardless. If windows phone mobile wants a chance in hell, they need to continue putting out good stuff. Not half baked phones with MISSING features.

I swear, it's like Nokia was the only manufacturer that gave a damn about thinking outside the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Glance was a bragging right for me at one point. Were we the first with an always on notification screen? Maybe not, but to the best of my knowledge, it was uncommon. I had friends literally ask me all the time "dude what phone is that? What app are you using for that clock?" Back in the Lumia 925 era.

It became a part of the windows eco system. It made an attempt to set aside or to make WP unique in a way.

Now you have a snap dragon 820 phone, and it's all for nothing aside from a "seems faster" experience with a longer battery life and a finger print sensor. Great. Woopty doooo.

If the elite x3's hardware could meet Lumia/Microsofts feature with their own substitutions, I would have one right now, because that would be a phone to kill for!

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
FFS who said I supported it? This is what I was told by HP when I asked off-the-record. It's not even making up excuses, it's not guessing.

I'd love to have Glance. I point out that there is no Glance numerous times. That has literally nothing to do with the fact that HP does not own the tech behind Glance and MS has not built it into Windows 10 Mobile for OEMs to leverage.

No one removed it. It was never there to begin with. Glance is not part of the OS. Let's also mention how there is no EQ, there is no Rich Capture, no Living Images, no Gadgets, and on and on...all not part of the OS. Any Nokia "magic" that was customized into the Lumia line is not part of Windows 10 Mobile.

Great, go tell HP that then. It's their phone, their customer base they are selling this too. Again, you are speaking as a prosumer, which is not their market for this phone. You're making this so personal and about you when it's not.

It doesn't matter if you believe it, it's what I have been told when I asked around. Use the HP feedback and tell them if it bothers you so much.

You folks need to stop conflating my own personal opinions with what I learn and report. Let's be clear: I'm not on anyone's team here. Not yours, not HPs. I'm simply reporting what I have been told about this topic when I asked.

So in summary, it a w10m phone with less features than years old Lumias...great strategy.

I will wait 6 months and maybe grab one off ebay for $279...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know the New Google Pixel has nothing at all for the screen when locked. Is not just HP or Windows.

That's not exactly true: Pixel: Ambient Display

While the behavior isn't the exact same as glance (e.g. touching the screen shows you the lockscreen, it shows up for notifications...)

I have Ambient Display on my Nexus 5X and it scratches my Glance itch.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Unless they've changed things, that matches Google's MO

The Google branded devices run AOSP and are somewhat short of special features. I have a Nexus 10 - best tablet ever (including my Surface Pro 3), and a now deceased Nexus 4.

Sent from mTalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless they've changed things, that matches Google's MO

The Google branded devices run AOSP and are somewhat short of special features. I have a Nexus 10 - best tablet ever (including my Surface Pro 3), and a now deceased Nexus 4.

Sent from mTalk
Google actually has changed some things with some Pixel only features. Also Ambient Display is a feature that dates back a couple Nexus models too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb