An open letter to MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Then there's Surface...

Let's face it- Metro apps are way too limited and constricting to be used for everyday work, and I don't even mean as some kind of CEO or developer stuff either. Surface Pro 3 is really nice, but it's too large for what I am looking for. Your debacle of deep-sixing Surface Mini was probably the last straw.

I'll let everyone else handle the rest of your rant, but I would like to focus on this part. You do realize that there are other OEMs besides Microsoft right? Or have you forgot the past 30 years? If you think the SP3 is too big, buy one of the hundreds of other tablets from any number of OEMs. Your Surface rant seems odd IMHO.

I also appreciate the fact that you're trying to be objective by saying that you're not coming from a developer's perspective, but as a developer, I can say that you may be jumping the gun on this. From the introduction of the Windows Store to now, the ability of metro apps has got so so SO much better. It's far faster than the pace that Apple has added things when the iPad was introduced. You later say you don't care about Threshold, but those APIs that will come with it will give developers even GREATER abilities to innovate.

Just my two cents, tho.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhones only sell well today because IT'S THE HYPE. Apple created the smartphone , but since the 3/4 Last years , it didn't evolve.

Well said, Apple still sells because of the hype and the Noob to the smart phone (AKA, no clue on them, so a iPhone is a "default phone" because someone else has one).

The market is also trending too, iPhone has dropped in sales (Android is the biggest right now) and year by year it keeps declining. Innovation is dead, I've said it before and I will say it again.

I hated him for who he was but, respected him for what he did. Steve Jobs, he is the sole creator of the iPhone and made it very innovative at the time. It's true but, Apple died with Steve Jobs and it's just a matter of time.....the clock is ticking..

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple iPhones only sell well today because IT'S THE HYPE.

...or because they just work. *shrug*

And before you call me a fan-boy zombie, please know that I purchased a Lumia 920 the week they were released, and I've also owned an HTC 8X and a Lumia 820. I still have the 820 today, it's sitting on my desk right now running some apps for my GF. I am not anyone's fan-boy zombie.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a ****** (a lot of MS devices/services) disappointment (so much anger).

Yep and you see it on every OS, phone or desktop.... Just go through the Apple forums on people waiting for the so called iPhone 6 and most of them will be disappointed...as apple does every year.

and there will be threads and threads about it...

Everyone deserves to vent....and what other place than a Windows Phone forum ?

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope so, but honestly, I don't know if I want to spend anywhere between $100-$200 to find out. It's really just a couple of things that are bugging me, but these are BIG THINGS TO ME. The music app on my phone is used more than using the phone for calls. IE11 on the desktop just won't freaking work.

But as I mentioned, I am into aviation and there, Apple is king. As I also mentioned, my contract isn't up until December so I will have time to look things over with the new iOS. Fortunately, I don't have to do a whole lotta stuff that I have to do on a Windows-based PC...no Powerpoint, no developing of apps, gaming, etc.

I keep thinking about staying with WP and use an iPad Mini alongside it, but again, I keep going back to the fact that 100% of the apps are written for iPhone first...anything on WP is just a gimped and cheap port.

Sooo...let's see what happens. Should be interesting to say the least.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I hear you on that...when I was in school, Office XP was the current, but when the next version came out, I discovered that the work I was doing at home was totally botched on the machines at school. (and by school I mean college, not HS). These days, if I have to send a digital document, I fire up Acrobat and save it as a PDF. Pretty much solves those problems.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely in the minority who doesn't mind the Metro side of Windows 8, though honestly, it's limitations stopped me from buying a Surface RT. Honestly though, I fire-up Metro for Dilbert Reader and Music (which I mentioned, has not been playing nicely with my local collection).

You're also right about the hit/miss cycle of Windows (who remembers that abortion called ME? lol), but Win8 is stable and the desktop part runs smooth enough...it's IE11 that's a mess. I really don't even miss the old Start menu.

...and I am not looking forward for the financial rape Apple puts on its customers...ugh.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Two things have stopped me from liking Surface Pro...

1. Weight. Too much for my liking.
2. The kickstand.

SP3 does a great job on those two issues, but I can't justify the price since I don't have a need for such a device. I am not a road warrior who has to write code or articles day and night. A simple, easy to use, and lightweight consumption device is really all I need. Surface RT is slightly too large, but it's the fact that I don't want to work in those half-baked Metro apps that stops me.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
God I agree with everything you said about Apple, I really do, but the fact is that the apps I want to use for aviation are on iPad (sure, there are some on Android as well, but I don't want to go that direction). Linux is still the red-headed stepchild to me.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW, I have read all replies and have replied to most. On my screen, all of my replies are being listed at the end of the thread without any "in response to..." anywhere to be seen. So if you're wondering why I have all of these seemingly disjointed replies, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigorplux