And this is what you get when you dont listen..

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why they kept the new logo so close to the old one either. They said that people think of "internet", when they see the IE logo. But from what I can tell most users simply hate the IE. Dunno why, tbh. It has come a long way, and version 10 and 11 are pretty great.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is the weakest jab at Microsoft I've ever seen. I've seen worse mauling from kittens.

People who care about technology and take an interest in new developments are going to know about Edge. The ones who don't, who simply fire up Microsoft's browser in order to download Chrome or Firefox, will still have to witness the unmissable difference in Edge's visual design if nothing else, and all MS has to do is make the welcome screen for first-time users trumpet the fact it supports Chrome extensions. If kids choose an uglier browser with no advantages just out of habit, it doesn't say a lot for the next generation of supposedly cannier kids.

What would be the point in MS losing all those years of a recognisable brand just to start again? It's still "Microsoft's browser", no matter what you do. The cartoons would be all about putting lipstick on a pig, or MS disguising their browser as something else to fool users. The best thing to do is to maintain what they have and try and persuade people by evidence-based demonstrations, not by trickery.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I was watching the keynote, and when Joe said the new browser name is edge,I was disappointed.. And when they showed the logo I was thinking what the hell are you doing MS?.. And I noticed nobody were clapping for the new name they kept.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Majority of people, so yeah.

And you could say the majority don't use Chrome, don't use Firefox, don't use Safari. Do you really think a logo is the important thing here, or what the browser actually does and how it feels to use? Does it matter if people make weak jokes? If that was true, the "XBone" would be dead already.

To an extent, brand habits will carry both Chrome and Edge. Lots of people use Chrome by instinct because they use Google services and/or Android. Lots of people used IE because it was there. As far as changing the state of play goes, you can't slap a new badge on something and assume it'll transform opinions. That's pointless and possibly detrimental.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
If they had named Spartan the percentage would have been much better.. The name is also fine.. But the logo is from the old browser.. Am talking from an average person's point of view.. We know its a great browser..

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you notice the public vote on this site, in which 60% said they found the name fine and/or loved it? Poll results: Microsoft Edge name has its fans, but so does Spartan | Windows Central

The poll was on a site named windowscentral, people here are fans and very informed about this product. Some people (majority) who use androids and iphones and they dont know nothing about upcoming changes to windows they just see oh a new browser from microsoft with E on it I bet it will suck as much as internet explorer. I dont think that Edge is ruining its reputation, that is "fine" to some point with me. But giving it almost the same logo is risky.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If they had named Spartan the percentage would have been much better.. The name is also fine.. But the logo is from the old browser.. Am talking from an average person's point of view.. We know its a great browser..

But less than a third of people polled on this site thought Spartan was better. I'm not saying this one site proves anything conclusively about the wider market. I'm just pointing out the problems of making wild guesses based on your own feelings.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The poll was on a site named windowscentral, people here are fans and very informed about this product. Some people (majority) who use androids and iphones and they dont know nothing about upcoming changes to windows they just see oh a new browser from microsoft with E on it I bet it will suck as much as internet explorer. I dont think that Edge is ruining its reputation, that is "fine" to some point with me. But giving it almost the same logo is risky.

It's just as possible that this site's users are disproportionately critical. There have been huge outcries here over silly **** about how much the new WP10 looks like Android in certain respects, which will not necessarily play the same way in the wider market which happens to like Android best of all mobile OSs.

You're assuming that "they" ("they" being "the computer-using world", btw) think Edge sucks, or that they already think IE sucks. I don't use IE right now, but not because "it sucks". I'd be embarrassed to be so childishly hateful. I don't use it because Chrome has extensions that I like, so I use that instead. IE's basically good, besides that.

"oh a new browser from microsoft with E on it I bet it will suck as much as internet explorer"

And you put on a new badge on, and what changes in that opinion?

"oh a new browser from microsoft, I bet it will suck as much as internet explorer"

Meanwhile your 20% market share takes an extra ten seconds to figure out where the internet is now on its PC and gets on with its day.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I would not be surprised that they wanted a name starting with e. The IE logo is, instantly, recognizable by most people. Creating a new one that is similar could be a good move on their part.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I remember that Microsoft themselves stated at some point that IE had too much negativity so they want to go away from it as much as they can and now they come up with this, so I dont understand their move.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I remember that Microsoft themselves stated at some point that IE had too much negativity so they want to go away from it as much as they can and now they come up with this, so I dont understand their move.

Yeah I don't understand... People's mind is like this e means internet explorer and it is ****.. But hopefully they will get good reputation with edge... Fingers crossed

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Good name for a razor--not sure it works for a browser. Personally, I think the name of a product should mean something. Netscape Navigator and Explorer worked for me. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge not so much. Means nothing. Tells the world nothing. Evokes nothing. The people who can't do anything else go into marketing.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Good name for a razor--not sure it works for a browser. Personally, I think the name of a product should mean something. Netscape Navigator and Explorer worked for me. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge not so much. Means nothing. Tells the world nothing. Evokes nothing. The people who can't do anything else go into marketing.

Edge means one thing, and it's pretty meaningful:
It's on the cutting-Edge of browsers, meaning it has/will have daring innovations that nobody is trying.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I would not be surprised that they wanted a name starting with e. The IE logo is, instantly, recognizable by most people. Creating a new one that is similar could be a good move on their part.

I believe I heard Mary Jo Foley (on Windows Weekly) say that this was the reason she was given by Microsoft when asked.

Everyone who is saying "it's horrible...shouldn't have been named 'Edge', should have been Spartan" etc. doesn't quite get how confused the average, non-technical user would be when they couldn't find the "E" on the taskbar to start their browser. Sure, they "might" click the icon where the one for IE was, but maybe not. And frankly, the average user won't care what it's called. As long as it works, fast, and easy to use they'll be happy. That said, MS has to make this good out of the box.

If it's good and has some good extensions, I'd be happy to switch away from Chrome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel