Android app equivalents on WP

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had several Windows Phones in the past, starting with the OG Samsung Focus and most recently the 925 on T-Mo. I've also had several Android phones and right now my daily driver is a Nexus 5. As I currently don't have a WP and I'm starting to get the itch again, I thought I'd do a quick survey of app availability on WP based on what I consider "core" apps on my Nexus 5 (i.e. apps that I open weekly, if not daily). Thought it might be interesting to share the results :)

High level, it's only getting better. If you don't include Google Apps (for which I've essentially given up hope for official apps), nearly 2/3 of my core apps have official clients and only 1 is completely unavailable in any way:

WP AvailabilityCountPercent
Official app
1763%
Alternate app/service415%
Mobile site311%
3rd party client27%
unavailable14%
Grand Total27100%

Now, if you include Google apps:

WP AvailabilityCountPercent
Official app
1747%
3rd party client822%
Alternate app/service617%
Mobile site38%
unavailable26%
Grand Total36%100%

Is it ideal? No...but as I said it's a lot better than it was and I only expect it to grow. I would note that for a couple of the apps that are "3rd party" or unavailable, the Android app is garbage too (Goodreads, Safeway)...so clearly they don't have a very good non-iOS focus. Additionally, the services marked as "mobile site" are really well done such that when paired with the WP app "WebApps," you'll hardly know the difference since the Android app is simply the mobile site in an app wrapper anyway. Here's the full list of my "core" apps if you're curious:

AndroidWP83rd Party App or Mobile Site
AmazonOfficial
AudibleOfficial
Bank of AmericaOfficial
Capital OneMobile Sitemoblprod.capitalone.com
eBayOfficial
EvernoteOfficial
ExpensifyOfficial
FacebookOfficial
Gmail3rd partyMetroMail
Goodreads3rd partySocial Reads
Google+3rd party(nothing good)
Google Drive3rd partyGoogle Drive on WP
Google MapsAlternateWaze
Google One Todayunavailable
Google Play Music3rd partyCloudMuzik (get beta from dev)
Google TranslateAlternateBing Translator
Google Voice3rd partyMetroTalk
Hangouts3rd partyIM+ Pro
IMDBOfficial
InstagramOfficial
LastPassOfficial
LiftMobile Sitewww.lift.do
MintOfficial
MyFitnessPalOfficial
PayPalOfficial
PocketCastsAlternatePodcast Lounge (...waiting for 8.1's new app)
PressAlternateNextgen Reader or Phonly
Safewayunavailable
SkypeOfficial
Speedtest.netOfficial
Talkatone (receive VoIP)AlternateSkype (paid) or Viber
TrelloMobile Sitewww.trello.com
TwitterOfficial
Windows Phone CentralOfficial
Yahoo SportsAlternateBing Sports
YouTube3rd partyMetroTube or others

Point is, I think I'll be taking the plunge again with the 1020 :) Are there any great official apps, well done official web apps, or great 3rd party clients that you really like? I'm interested to hear what everyone's "core" apps/services are, particularly if you moved from iOS or Android and had to migrate to the new ecosystem.

anon5354051

Banned
Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice overview, but not very accurate. You can find an alternative to a lot of apps, but what if you have to use the one that's not available on Windows Phone?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Nice overview, but not very accurate. You can find an alternative to a lot of apps, but what if you have to use the one that's not available on Windows Phone?

Curious...what do you mean? What's not accurate about my specific list?

Yes, there are certainly some apps that are simply unavailable on WP (i.e. no official app, no viable alternative, no 3rd party so app, no mobile site). The Safeway app is an example in my list.

For my part, I'll be keeping my Nexus 5 around for when I need those couple of apps, but the point of this post was to say that for my personal core apps, I'm nearly 100% covered by what's available on WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss