Android assistant question for Windows phone users

Pipesicles

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Quick background: when Microsoft began to discontinue support for WP, I reluctantly let go of my last WP and moved to Android. I foolishly thought all smartphones in 2019 had the same basic functionality. The speech to text feature had stopped working on my WP, as well as Cortana working over Bluetooth.

Apparently, Android does not have an assistant that functions like Cortana. I have not found an app that will: 1) link to the Bluetooth in my vehicle, AND 2) notify me of incoming texts, AND 3) read the text to me, AND 4) allow me to reply to the text. I would also like an app to take dictation for a reminder and actually notify me of said reminder at the requested time.

I have tried Cortana for Android (sadly nothing like the "real" Cortana), Android Auto with and without Google Assistant linked, Samsung's Bixby... laughable, and one other.. maybe a Samsung assistant. With each I can hear a text coming in but the app doesn't notify me. Ok, so I ask for the message to be read... only to be told I have no new messages.

Even the iPhone has Suri. Android is lousy. I was naively hopeful with all of the "Windows for Android" apps, but this is an area that is lacking. I am hoping someone has found an app that can perform the aforementioned tasks on an Android OS. I'm also hoping Windows returns with a new mobile option. Tomorrow.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on the phone and car? My car, when I connect via BT, aslerts me of an incoming text. I can have it read to me, but I don't usually reply.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Me too. MS was the boss on this and nailed it. This was the one feature that I held on to my win phone for the longest time.

It surprises me that the other systems don't make their work in this way too.

Pipesicles

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I guess it depends on the phone and car? My car, when I connect via BT, aslerts me of an incoming text. I can have it read to me, but I don't usually reply.

I have an aftermarket stereo installed. Every smartphone I have had for the past 4 years, and phones belonging to others, have worked flawlessly with it. All I have needed to do was connect the Bluetooth.

Today I tried the ReadItToMe app, which allows you to respond with voice like Cortana did. I was so happy when it told me I had a message coming in, and it used the sender's name. It asked if I wanted to hear the message, so I said yes. Then it told me, "the message says: 1 new message". It was reading the notification, not the text itself.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Quick background: when Microsoft began to discontinue support for WP, I reluctantly let go of my last WP and moved to Android. I foolishly thought all smartphones in 2019 had the same basic functionality. The speech to text feature had stopped working on my WP, as well as Cortana working over Bluetooth.

Apparently, Android does not have an assistant that functions like Cortana. I have not found an app that will: 1) link to the Bluetooth in my vehicle, AND 2) notify me of incoming texts, AND 3) read the text to me, AND 4) allow me to reply to the text. I would also like an app to take dictation for a reminder and actually notify me of said reminder at the requested time.

I have tried Cortana for Android (sadly nothing like the "real" Cortana), Android Auto with and without Google Assistant linked, Samsung's Bixby... laughable, and one other.. maybe a Samsung assistant. With each I can hear a text coming in but the app doesn't notify me. Ok, so I ask for the message to be read... only to be told I have no new messages.

Even the iPhone has Suri. Android is lousy. I was naively hopeful with all of the "Windows for Android" apps, but this is an area that is lacking. I am hoping someone has found an app that can perform the aforementioned tasks on an Android OS. I'm also hoping Windows returns with a new mobile option. Tomorrow.

I've been using Android phones for the last 4+ years since I stopped using a Windows phone. The Google Assistant does everything Cortana does and way more. It lets me do everything hands free.... and I mean everything. My Moto x pure edition automatically read EVERYTHING out loud to me or over Bluetooth and let me respond hands free.

My pixel gives me a notification sound and I just ask "read my notifications", and the assistant reads all my notifications and let's me respond to each one individually. It also has a call screening feature that automatically answers unknown numbers if I want it to, and talks to the person asking them what they're calling about, and show's me what they are saying so I can either pick the call up, or hang up and block the number if it's a spam call. It works incredibly well. The assistant will also automatically book restaurant reservations, rent cars, schedule haircuts and more if I want it to all by itself. Like I said it's in a whole other league from Cortana.

I thought I would miss Cortana a lot too at first..... but I've never looked back. I came here to find out why Cortana wasn't working anymore on my wife's Idol 4s..... I thought I was going to have to factory reset it, but now I see that you were having the exact same issues, and it's a Microsoft problem, not her phone. She's the most diehard of windows phone fans, and as her phone is slowly losing the ability to do more and more things, I'm dreading the day I have to finally move her over to an Android phone...... she HATES change lol.

Wish me luck 😋
And I wish you guys luck as you transition from Windows phones to something else..... I didn't want to change either but the writing was on the wall 😞
I'll be honest tho, now I wouldn't switch back even if Windows mobile regained their former glory.... Android is just getting too good anymore. I'll be using pixel phones for the foreseeable future 😋

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786