Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
is people surprised about it? its MOLLY WOOD!
did you forget the first time Microsoft-Brandon Watson sent her a Mango challenge Windows Phone and it was a waste? do people already forget how it took Molly Wood 2 days to find the apps list? I mean... she is simply that dumb! you cant expect something Smart from here, when she clearly doesnt know much about phones.
I didnt even watch the video, I dont need to watch it to know Molly Wood, wouldnt say anything Smart about Windows Phone. I mean... she had a pre-mango device, and after 2 years she never understood or try to understand how to upload to Facebook?
if she, after 2 years cant do a simple thing, I really dont know how people could expect her to know and give good information about skydrive and zune 2 years ago? lol
she is the ones that think "there just needs to be an app for that.". but yeah, Im sure she is just dumb and I wouldnt expect much from her, not 2 years ago, not now, and not in next 5 years... never! the only thing i would expect from her, its to put the phones in really retarded tests (destroying the phones) like if it was a real usage test. and like if those test would make her smarter.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
for a quicky snap shots, the regular windows phone camera app is the one she should have used.
So now we have to decide which app to fire up depending on how quickly we want a shot? 'Oh I can wait 5 seconds so lets fire up Pro Cam'. 'Oh I need this shot quick so lets dig in and launch the default camera app'. Why can't the Pro Cam app just take 1 second to take a pic? I don't care what it does in the background, 5 seconds is an eternity to wait for a second shot.

mrchampipi

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So now we have to decide which app to fire up depending on how quickly we want a shot? 'Oh I can wait 5 seconds so lets fire up Pro Cam'. 'Oh I need this shot quick so lets dig in and launch the default camera app'. Why can't the Pro Cam app just take 1 second to take a pic? I don't care what it does in the background, 5 seconds is an eternity to wait for a second shot.

I second that. Nokia/M$ really need to adress this issue, as it is the 1020 biggest flaw.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anooying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

No, not Jessica her name is Molly Wood. She makes useless shows on c|net called Always On. wow, reading all the comments on the Youtube video and here I think c|net need to get proper informed people.

Isn't she the person that wrote an article last week on WP that was pulled off the website shortly after it was posted? Same deal, she was making comments that made it obvious she had no idea what she was talking about.

Sounds like a Troll Bait piece to me.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anooying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

what a dumb *****! she calls the iphone 5 the best camera shartphone? LOL. she also says you cant share pictures to facebook? she should be fired for claiming such fake crap

Oh man... I hate those People who don't know what there Talking about and tell this the Whole World like it is a Fact... WP8 has Facebook Integrated she needs not even a Damn App! Also there are Hundreds of Facebook Apps in the Store... Also there are Enough Instagramm Apps right now... And if the iPhone 5 has the Best Camera i eat all my Smartphones! ;)

also everyone do me a favour, log into your youtube accounts, give this video as many dislikes as you can so it automatically gets removed from youtube

DONE!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Shutter speeds could be quicker if you got to snap pictures of bubbles on a WINDY day. Yeah, lets do that and instantly become the most famous in your social circle and put them up on Facebook and instagram. Wheeeee. /sarcasm. Having said that, we cannot reprogram the technologically dishonest on Cnet, Zdnet and the Verge. They cast a wide net over those who are still amazed at the recently discovered "turbo" button. Giving them a forum makes us all stupid.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I haven't checked the video yet, but let me guess... Jessica Dolcourt? What she said about the Lumia 810 (my first Windows Phone) in her review of it made me roll my eyes. She's clearly biased toward Android and Samsung. -_-

Jessica isn't that bad. Her review of the Lumia 920 and 1020 were pretty good. But yeah, I've stopped watching videos with molly wood I them due to her huge Apple bias. When she was doing the torture test for the iPhone 5, she kept saying over and over and over "how mortified I would be if something were to happen to the iPhone" and a bunch of stuff to that degree. Another one to watch out for is Bridget Carrey. She was doing a test to see what phone could take the picture the fastest and she kept talking about how frustrating it is that the Lumia 1020 couldn't take a picture unless you opened up the lock screen (which she conveniently had a password for) and completely ignored the camera button.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone here, i myself moved from iphone 5 to a L1020, and i can tell you it definitely did not have the "best" even before L1020 came out.

"stunt to get peoples attention", whaaaaaaat?

And about the instagram part, tons of other apps you could use ! I mean what she says is true there is no "official" instagram app , but it is false saying you can not upload them to instagram.

And about the camera, i would have to agree here pulling my iphone 5 out and snapping a pic would definitely be faster albeit 5mp vs 38. On my L1020 it takes about 3-4 sec from opening the app till it is ready to shoot. I noticed smart cam does load 1sec faster or so. thats why i have the smart cam tiled so i can whip up a fast one just in case. She should have just used smart cam for the bubbles....instead of aimlessly trying to point and shoot, the fact she attempted so many times was quite embarrassing to me especially with a app made just for these occasions. Have yet to miss a shot ot encounter a moment where my ip5 could take a better pic than my L1020.

The shutter speed is definitely slower than my iphone 5, i remember tapping the shoot button on my Ip5 like crazy just for the fun of it and it would take pics like crazy.
( but for me this was just a fun bonus, didnt affect me much in terms of actually snapping pictures.)

To me this person just didn't know enough about this phone to be actually reviewing it. It honestly sounds and looks like she was given that phone to test run on that very day. I mean at least give it to a reviewer who knows about windows phone and actually spent SOME time with it.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the more neutral reviews of the Lumia 1020 that I read gave the impression the device has too many shooting options and is therefore confusing for the consumer. Front and center, by default, is the Nokia Pro Cam application. This is as it should be; highlighting the main feature of the device before someone even has a chance to drop the phone and put a dent in it. But I digress...

Pro Cam is an application you will use for most of your expected shots. Smart Cam is for expected shots with more movement. The Microsoft camera is there by default, baked into the OS. You will rarely use this unless you scan QR codes. I believe this is the camera app Authenticator uses to scan QR codes. While other devices have one camera application with many different features, Nokia spreads the features out using the lenses option.

Open the camera application and hit the double arrow icon (Lenses) and scroll through your list of options. I did a reset last night to free up 8GB of "Other" storage, so I only have a few. You get a strong variety of choices here, with more to follow. You can argue that Windows Phone really does have one camera application but different HUDs that provide the user control over the finer details. Is there still a delay when switching Lenses? Yes, but understand that each "lens" has a special function and utilizes the camera hardware differently. I'm sure that there will be an eventualy re-write of applications to make better use of the 41MP sensor, which in turn should decrease the load times.

Could you give it a second?

Louis C.K. said it best when he mentioned the ****iest phone in the world is a miracle. No one really stops and says "Look what my phone can do" and truly be happy with that sentiment.

Oh your phone has a 41MP camera? Well my camera doesn't take 10 seconds to load!

Yeah, but your shots look like ***. You have more applications, but hundreds (if not thousands) of duplicates.

Back to the topic at hand:

What does it take to be the person that reviews products for websites? Would you think a basic understanding of your subject? More than just 2-3 minutes without an account set up on it?

If someone is going to review a device, spend a week with it. Don't go to a "music festival" on assigment so you can get in a free show and pretend like you know what you are talking about. The Central websites feature real reviews, albiet with a slight bias towards their OS of choice, that take devices through the paces and present the information for what it is, even if it pains them to be wrong.

Thanks, but I will be keeping my Lumia 1020. If I am not happy with the shots from Pro Cam, I'll switch the lens to Smart Cam, Pro Shot or whatever application I happen to have on my device at the time.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone here, i myself moved from iphone 5 to a L1020, and i can tell you it definitely did not have the "best" even before L1020 came out.

"stunt to get peoples attention", whaaaaaaat?

And about the instagram part, tons of other apps you could use ! I mean what she says is true there is no "official" instagram app , but it is false saying you can not upload them to instagram.

And about the camera, i would have to agree here pulling my iphone 5 out and snapping a pic would definitely be faster albeit 5mp vs 38. On my L1020 it takes about 3-4 sec from opening the app till it is ready to shoot. I noticed smart cam does load 1sec faster or so. thats why i have the smart cam tiled so i can whip up a fast one just in case. She should have just used smart cam for the bubbles....instead of aimlessly trying to point and shoot, the fact she attempted so many times was quite embarrassing to me especially with a app made just for these occasions. Have yet to miss a shot ot encounter a moment where my ip5 could take a better pic than my L1020.

The shutter speed is definitely slower than my iphone 5, i remember tapping the shoot button on my Ip5 like crazy just for the fun of it and it would take pics like crazy.
( but for me this was just a fun bonus, didnt affect me much in terms of actually snapping pictures.)

To me this person just didn't know enough about this phone to be actually reviewing it. It honestly sounds and looks like she was given that phone to test run on that very day. I mean at least give it to a reviewer who knows about windows phone and actually spent SOME time with it.

it's not the shutter speed its the capture delay.

Tracy Daken

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
"LIKE OMG, I need to LIKE PRESS MY HAIR and LIKE DO THIS REVIEW OF THIS PHONE. I like it because it is like YELLOW." The mentality here is just scary. How a person like that gets a chance to even be a reviewer suprises me to no end. It actually insults me as musician that someone like that would even be at one of my shows man. I bet she has to call apple care to figure out how to turn on your monitor when it goes on sleep mode.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 5 has the best camera on a smartphone? Wow, just... Wow!

My thoughts exactly... stopped watching at that point because my 920 takes better photos than iPhone 5. I don't think photography is why people hang on to iphones; more because that's the 'hip' phone to have.

I'd rather be 'better' than be 'hip'.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't think photography is why people hang on to iphones; more because that's the 'hip' phone to have.

I'd rather be 'better' than be 'hip'.

Apple knew how to market the iPhone. Instead of making iTunes a killer application for other smartphone ecosystems, they made a phone around iTunes. The iPhone OS has remained relatively unchanged, and the perceived value of iPhones has remained relatively high despite limited innovation and increased competition in the mobile space. The familiarity, along with the plethora of universal accessories you can find just about anywhere make the device attractive. It certainly doesn't hurt that it is perceived to be user-friendly, despite the contrary. The perception is that Apple does things better, even if people have discovered over the years they didn't do them first.

Apple doesn't do all things better, some things look nicer but I can't honestly say better. Development for iOS and Android is stronger than other operating systems, so they will always have that. Apple still commands a signifcant share of the market, so Google will always develop applications for the platform. Strategically, Apple is positioned to maintain the course and do just fine. The iPhone isn't irrelevant, for even if the next iPhone flops it will still have enormous influence on how the mobile landscape shapes up for the balance of 2013 and 2014. If Apple introduces a budget-friendly iPhone, I sincerely hope they consider making it a middle of the road device. Alternatively, if they make it on par with the iPhone 5 and make it dirt cheap they might manage to steal a good number of daily activations away from Android.

With any flagship device launch, the hope is its release drives further innovation in the industry. If Apple says "we made it plastic" and calls it a day, I will **** my pants. If the 5S improvements amount to being taller (again) rather than wider, I'm sure Steve Jobs go BSOD in his grave.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I remember when all the hip people had Blackberries. These things can change pretty fast.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Choice sucks doesn't it?

It would be much better if we only had the option to take the lower quality picture so we could be more like the competitors.

LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb