Another Possible WP Customer Lost in the UK

12T

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Would like to share my story :)

I am from Cambridge, UK and I am a big supporter or Nokia / MS / Lumia / Windows...

I have a colleague (he is about 45-50 man) who wanted to upgrade his phone. He is one of those people who don't care what OS they are running and don't care how many apps they can get. He doesn't even know what Android, WP or iOS is. He was using Blackberry - but internet browser is bad, email client don't work anymore, screen is small, battery life and camera are very bad and so on... [4 year old phone] so he wanted something where he can check emails, browse internet, calls and texts and watch youtube videos - obviously with bigger screen and touch, something more up to date...

When we started talking, he immediately said that he wouldn't get an iPhone [or any other high end phone] as it's too expensive and there is no need to pay ?500+ for a phone. Originally; he said he will just get a PAYG phone for about ?80-?130. The only condition he had, was, that he wants to buy it from the Vodafone shop in Cambridge. He is a long term Vodafone customer and he doesn't want to change his number.

Naturally; I wanted to recommend him either Lumia 535, 640 or 735 as I think that any of those phones would be brilliant for him and they are exactly for around ?100. I showed him my Lumia 735 and he liked it - from games he only wanted Pac-Man, he didn't care about any of the banking apps or anything special as he wouldn't do banking on the phone (doesn't trust it)...

So; I went to check the PAYG section on the Vodafone website to see what phones they have - and sadly I can only say they had only Lumia 635 from the Lumia mid range. They have Lumia 640 on pay monthly though. Stunned; I had to stay quiet as I could not recommend him anything from Vodafone at that price on PAYG.

Bearing in mind that they had a strong competition from HTC Desire 510, Sam Galaxy 4 mini etc. in that price range... all in stock... I told him to check Carphone Warehouse because have the Lumia 640, 535, 735 on PAYG and the CW shop is about 100m from the Vodafone shop... also know that their PAYG phones are not SIM locked, so he could get it there for a good price and still use Vodafone, but he wouldn't even consider going to another store...

He went to the shop yesterday, there was only one person apart from him, he spent there about 1h. The sales woman asked him what he is looking for - so he told her that he is looking for a phone where he can check emails (he is on hotmail BTW, and at home has a win 7 laptop) browse internet, calls, texts and so on - simply doesn't have to be anything fancy...
Immediately; she pointed at HTC Desire 510 and told him that is the phone that he wants :) She didn't even mention other phones / models simply nothing - simply "this is the best phone for you" and that's it.... and he agreed - didn't question anything :(

Another shock for me was that she convinced him to switch to PAY MONTHLY on ?21 a month [1GB data, 500min, unlimited texts]

When he came to work today and showed me what he got and told me the story, I didn't know whether I should cry or laugh... Simply sad for me as I think that any of those phones would be better choice for him... I bought my phone from Carphone Warehouse in November and I wouldn't expect that the situation with Lumia phones is so bad...

I just hope that the situation with Win Phones in stock will improve everywhere and the promotion side as well. Microsoft can't hope to sell more phones if they are not in stock everywhere, are not priced competitively and are not recommended... I hope that with Win10 the situation will improve... :)

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Seeing as I pay ?18.50 a month with Tesco mobile for a free Lumia 920, unlimited texts and minute and 2GB of data (24 month contract) he has been thoroughly ripped off. A real shame that.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm Vodafone Ireland and I pay ?30 pay as you go for unlimited calls and texts to all networks 3GB data and 100 international minutes.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This is the reason why Windows phone doesn't sell. Microsoft sucks at marketing and nobody wants to sell Windows phones. Apparently selling Androids is more profitable. And now it gets hamburgers and awful button placement and not even windows phone fans will buy windows phones.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm with free mobile in France, and pay 2?/month for unlimited texts and calls, and an incredible 50MB data. I bought my Lumia 830 off a second hand website called leboncoin.fr for 157?.

Couldn't your friend buy an unlocked phone off amazon or something and just use his Vodafone sim?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is the reason why Windows phone doesn't sell. Microsoft sucks at marketing and nobody wants to sell Windows phones. Apparently selling Androids is more profitable. And now it gets hamburgers and awful button placement and not even windows phone fans will buy windows phones.

Don't worry, add some fries to those hamburgers and WP will sell like hot cakes (or dogs). /s

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as I pay ?18.50 a month with Tesco mobile for a free Lumia 920, unlimited texts and minute and 2GB of data (24 month contract) he has been thoroughly ripped off. A real shame that.

I have a similar SIM only deal from O2, same allowances for ?18.00 a month for 12 months. Not a bad deal TBH.

OP, depending how much he was spending on PAYG switching to Pay Monthly may have been a better option. It was for me considering that some months I was spending ?40 on credit, switching to the pay monthly deal above works out better for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb