Another victim of the Nokia/Verizon CS meat grinder nearing end of the line with this 928

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm without my Lumia 928 today, as I have been for about 20 out of the last 30 days while Nokia and/or Verizon have been screwing me around. Nokia has TWICE now refused to acknowledge defects with the phone when I've sent it to them for repair, instead sending it back after merely subjecting it to lab-controlled inspections which it "passed". Verizon agreed to send me a replacement device in between the two Nokia repair attempts, but what they sent me was refurbished garbage--a device with the display peeling up and away from the frame. That led to a testy conversation with a "team leader" at VZW and a (thus far unexecuted) threat to cancel my service--which I haven't done so yet only because I'm a grandfathered-in unlimited-data-plan subscriber.

Today I followed the advice I found on another thread regarding a different device, and sent an email to the "top": Stephen Elop. I was pleasantly surprised by the very quick response I received, both from Mr. Elop's address and from "escalated customer service", though no concrete action directly pertaining to my situation has been taken. I have some hope that ultimately I will wind up with a device that works--isn't that what anyone wants?--but if I have to wait much longer, said device might just find its way into the hands of somebody more patient than me.

What's REALLY sad is that in the interim I've been using an old Palm Pre Plus and, I swear, I've been having a ball using it and have been surprised at just how useful it still is. Runs Spotify and Pandora just fine. Connects to my Office 365 calendar/tasks/email/contacts without any trouble. The web browser is surprisingly good and fills in a lot of the app gaps inherent with the now-retasked OS. Game selection is limited, but a couple that count work: Blackjack and Chess.com. It takes care of the basics, which I might just be gravitating towards as a priority anyways.

The clock is ticking, Nokia...please don't let me down again.

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Satisfaction!

Turns out Nokia actually did repair the device the second go-round. Apparently, however, they must not have a form letter for a situation where an actual repair is done. It's been working flawlessly since last Friday.

The email to Mr. Elop made quite the splash. The follow-up contact offered a replacement phone--not to replace the device, but to supplement it--a free phone! :shocked: Nokia/MSM seemed genuinely interested in making me happy, but sending me a free phone seemed excessive. So I opted for a wireless charger. They also appeared to take seriously the fact their repair center has some difficulty in communicating with their customers, and will look into changing the processes involved.

I feel supremely confident that, should I have any further problems, these folks are going to be all over it.

Still......it's a shame they weren't this on the ball from the get-go. But as nice recoveries go, this one was a whopper.

Good job!

pastelero79

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the digitizer fail on mine in June. I sent it in and was surprised that it was returned fixed and with a slip showing it passed tests. I just wished that they told me the cause of failure, and the corrective action taken. Glad to hear that you got a resolution from them. I spent the money to do an early upgrade and now have a second 928. Now I have a backup.

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm sensing that Verizon doesn't give a hoot about their 1-2 Windows phones anymore for two reasons:

1. No word on if and when the Windows 8.1 Update will be provided.
2. I haven't had to update any apps for at least three weeks.

Anybody else encountering similar issues?

sicnus

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
2. I haven't had to update any apps for at least three weeks.

Anybody else encountering similar issues?

I had this issue a few months ago. Verizon was clueless. I installed SysApp Pusher. Its a PITA to setup (if you have a lot of apps) but once you do its simple to maintain & it backs up & restores from Sky... Err Onedrive. I used Sysapp pusher for months while I tried everything I could find here (by searching...) & nothing worked. Sysapp pusher kept me up to date in the mean time. Well a couple months ago, I took a screenshot & after I did my 928 froze & locked up hard. Eventually it reset itself & the following day I had a few updates on the marketplace that I didn't get into Sysapp pusher. Its been fine since. HOWEVER, I did not remove Sysapp pusher & I still use it. IMHO its a total glitch & not VZW out to get you or other WP users. HTH.

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You emailed Elop!!!!!?

Had to. First go-round with Nokia was a waste of time, Verizon just angered me further. I knew Nokia/MS could come through; I guess they just needed motivation. Really, these folks were tripping over themselves to make me happy after I took the straight-to-the-top route. I wish I could remember the post from which I got the advice...poster deserves a million thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle