Antivirus for the Lumia 900?

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if there's an app, free or for a fee, that will take care of antivirus duties for the Lumia. I used to use AVG antivirus for my old android and was wondering if one was available for the W7 platform. Thanks.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if there's an app, free or for a fee, that will take care of antivirus duties for the Lumia. I used to use AVG antivirus for my old android and was wondering if one was available for the W7 platform. Thanks.

From Anti virus program for Windows 7 phone - Microsoft Answers

I got lazy, didn't want to re-hash this information.

1.Windows Phone 7 cannot multitask third party apps, so if a virus were running, the antivirus could not, and vice-versa.
2.Apps in the marketplace are inspected for this, so it is highly unlikely a virus would come from there. Even if it did, once discovered, MS has a kill switch for any app i nthe marketplace for just this issue.
3.Mobile phone browsers lack the scripting capabilities of the desktop so are less susceptible to an attack.
4.Mobile phones don't run x86 software which is what most viruses are written for.
5.The return on investment for a virus writer to infect a phone is low. You have to target a specific platform (and WP7 would be low on the list due to marketshare) and then you are limited by what you can do. You cannot effectively turn a phone into a zombie like you can a desktop.

On my Windows 8 tablet with x86, its installed with Microsoft Security essentials (nice knowing I don't have to download other antivirus programs right away)

In other words, you are safe....except from social hacks (hi reset your password, give me your bank account, and your mother's name from wXw.trustus.com/facebook (not real))

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There's absolutely no need for anti-virus on Windows Phone luckily.

Android is really the only phone OS out there with a malware/virus problem serious enough to warrant running an anti-virus program, just one of the many reasons I won't touch Android with a barge pole.

iPhone users and especially Windows Phone users, do not need to worry about using anti-virus programs on their phones thanks to a number of factors, including inherently more secure OS's with much more limited access to the inner workings and carefully curated app markets instead of the wild west free-for-all on Android.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
anti virus on a Windows Phone?

Yao-Ming+smile.jpg

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Even if WP7 had some security issue, it just isn't popular enough for people to design viruses for it. For a long time time, Macs had very few viruses for the exact same reason. Between this and the other answers, you can sleep very sound tonight!

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I see. I guess there is a positive to having an unpopular OS. ;) I guess that's one less thing I have to worry about with W7 OS. Thanks for the reply.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

This isn't Android. WP7 is more similar to iOS; code can't be run outside of apps. The only real way would be for someone to slip code past Microsoft during the approval process of an app. Even then, like iOS I believe Microsoft has the power to remote kill apps from our phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss