Any apps show iris infrared camera pic?

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Other than the fact that there is a separate infrared camera for the iris scanner, I couldn't find any specs on it. Do any apps show the output/pic/video? does anyone have specifics on it?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by SlideWRX
Other than the fact that there is a separate infrared camera for the iris scanner, I couldn't find any specs on it. Do any apps show the output/pic/video? does anyone have specifics on it?

if microsoft made that possible, other apps could use it to snap your face and spoof windows hello

the specs are just a 640x480 black & white cam with IR filter i think

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
if microsoft made that possible, other apps could use it to snap your face and spoof windows hello

Yeah, 110% on this one, I'm sure this interface is heavily locked down, I doubt there are any non-elevated API access allowed, and even then, I'm sure there's an extra "filter", it would be interesting to see this code (and highly unlikely).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You wouldn't get a quality shot worth anything out of it anyway. If you want to do night-vision photography, or to shoot pictures of what is beneath someone's clothes, then buy a dedicated camera that can do it. They are often advertised in the back of spy magazines. ;)

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I'd hope security through obscurity isn't the primary means of preventing a security breach. It is possible though. It may only be 640x480, but it is still fun to mess around with near infrared.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd hope security through obscurity isn't the primary means of preventing a security breach. It is possible though. It may only be 640x480, but it is still fun to mess around with near infrared.

what else could they do other than making it inaccessible? it is probably even running so isolated that even they cant reach it without hello

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not a security expert. This is my guess:
I would assume that hello only receives an encrypted image from the iris scanner (probably with a random code sent from hello) not from anywhere else, so that an app couldn't take, then send an image at will to unlock the phone.

This version of hello doesn't have the 3d scanner, just the cameras. So whether the camera is available to an app or not someone could take a printed physical IR picture and possibly use it to unlock the phone.

Hello works in the dark, so I don't think it is using the selfie camera for any kind of verification or parallax effect to make sure it is a physical face. Although the red led comes on, so who knows... :)

Tl;dr - hello should have encryption, so having the camera available to apps shouldn't be an issue.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
You wouldn't get a quality shot worth anything out of it anyway. If you want to do night-vision photography, or to shoot pictures of what is beneath someone's clothes, then buy a dedicated camera that can do it. They are often advertised in the back of spy magazines. ;)
I played around with IR a decade ago with a canon powershot. I added a visible light filter, so that basically everything was blocked. I could only do long exposure shots to get enough light. Some people have opened up their cameras and removed the built in IR blocking filter, so they could do normal exposures with IR light.

Considering this is basically a selfie IR camera, I think the people pics might be a little obvious and creepy. :-D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte