Any Issues With Using Unlocked Telstra (Australia) Phone on AT&T MVNO in US?

PianoJazz

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I bought an unlocked white Lumia 920 through Best Buy's website. I'm running on an AT&T MVNO (Pure TalkUSA). I was surprised to see that the phone was from Telstra in Australia. (There's no branding on the face of the phone, but part of the bootup sequence includes a screen with a big "T"; and some documentation in the box and About Phone confirm that it was originally meant for Telstra.)

Am I going to have any issues with this? So far there have been two problems:
  1. I had to switch the region from the US to Australia to get a Nokia app update to download and install (Extras + Info, or Care, I think). (I then switched back to US.)
  2. I cannot send MMS messages, nor do I receive the attached file of an incoming MMS message. Instead I get the "Get media content now" link, which does nothing. It seems this is a widespread problem, so I'll need to read up on it.

The only other thing is that the phone uses Australian spellings (e.g. "favourites"), even after I switched to US English. This doesn't bother me, but I was surprised the spelling didn't change to match the language change.

I just received this phone last week, so I still have time to return it and try again. Should I? What's everyone's experience with something similar to this?

Thanks.

PianoJazz

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you. Turns out, I already did have Nokia Access Point. MMS is now working. I deleted the APN entry I was using and started over.

As to using in the US a phone originally intended for Australia, are there any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks.

PianoJazz

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, desitunez. I'll try to be a little more relaxed about this. I'm brand new to the Windows Phone world, in case that wasn't arleady obvious. :)

In the Android world I'm very proficient at installing new ROMs and kernels. So, if I were to flash a different ROM on the Lumia 920, I'm sure I could handle it. How would I get started? That is, where are the ROMs available? and is there one for an international version of a phone? (I thought that's what I was getting.)

Thanks.

schlubadub

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
If you have LTE access then try to do a speed test to make sure you're getting the full speeds. Our Aussie networks might work on different bands, although most phones here are quad-band anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)