Any Rumors on the 32 GB AT&T Release?

MichelleSV

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the ATT 16Gig version of the phone, and i installed a 64gig SD card in mine thats plenty of place, I know some people love the wireless charging stuff, it was no loose to me, since wireless charging takes FOREVER, i wll tell you the phone is little heavy to me, coming from a lumia 925

but i am happy AT&T brought the phone over !

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the ATT 16Gig version of the phone, and i installed a 64gig SD card in mine thats plenty of place, I know some people love the wireless charging stuff, it was no loose to me, since wireless charging takes FOREVER, i wll tell you the phone is little heavy to me, coming from a lumia 925

but i am happy AT&T brought the phone over !

I have 14 gigs of apps now that are ever increasing. A few more games and 16 gigs won't cut it despite the size of the memory card

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Will start mining the gossip mill. A 32GB 1520 will, most likely, truly depend on the response to the 16gb 1520. If it sells beyond expectations, maybe that 32 GB shows up. If the 1520 doesn't sell above expectations with the cheaper price tag, then most likely this is one of those "kinda promised but not really" devices that may never come out.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Inteller, could you explain in detail why you think the Att 1520 variant is a crappy device, why PMA Incipio case is a scam or PMA in general?
Most complaints are that the AT&T 1520 is "crappy" relative to other 1520's, not on an absolute sense. The complaints are made because the other 1520 models have double the memory and includes wireless charging.

The (non-economic) cost for the extra 16GB and built-in Qi charging is 3g in mass and 0mm in depth. The Incipio PMA case adds 50g in mass and 5mm to the thickness (that's 58% thicker than the device itself). The "scam" is that is costs AT&T users $50 (list price), 2 oz., and over 3/16" to get back one of the features that AT&T removed.

Look at it another way. Let's say that AT&T supported a rival short-range wireless networking technology called Orangetooth. Because of this, they have Nokia remove Bluetooth from the 1520 and they tell users that an Orangetooth case is coming that will provide functions similar to Bluetooth, that the case adds 24% more weight and 58% more thickness. You'd expect the case cost to be negative since it makes the phone bigger and heavier and still doesn't let it connect with the existing Bluetooth peripherals that you've already got, yet AT&T wants $50 for the Orangetooth case. That's the scam.

I wouldn't replace my car or portable speakers because of Orangetooth and I'm not replacing by five Qi charging pads. I already have an investment in Qi pads and I need to keep them for my other Qi devices (920, Agent smartwatch, etc.).

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
here is the short of it. Powermat/Duracell/P&G cabal were having their asses handed to them with Powermat because they had NO ONE building their charging technology into their phones. They briefly joined the Wireless Power Alliance (Qi) but then split off when they said it moved "too slow" (no what was moving slow was the warehouses of proprietary powermats and iPhone sleeves NO ONE wanted). So they form their own alliance and drag in ATT to be a shill for them to force all ATT phones to get PMA built into them. Their main selling point, a "cloud connected" charging device that can have "messages" sent to it (read: ads) Word of note, there are STILL no PMA built in phones. PMA is a ginormous scam perpetrated by babies who didn't want to play with the big boys and are trying to scheme a buck off of advertising to your phone while you simply try to charge it.

cesar ruiz1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is true att rep told me that the 32 gb surface 2 and 32 gb Lumia 1520 will release early 2014 but the Lumia will have no memory expansion. If true Nokia has 3 Lumia 1520s in the air this one will cost 250.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I assume the only reason they originally omitted the 32GB was for price, then once they saw a backlash, they figured people wouldn't mind the premium for more storage.

They made the right move. A lot more people are going to buy this phone for $199 or $99 on sale and just deal with the 16 GB and buy a 64 GB SD card to supplement. Only people like hardcore gamers are going to need a 64 GB SD card AND 32 GB on the device. If they sell the 32 GB variant for $299 or $199 on sale be sure to come back to this forum to see the moaning.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
They made the right move. A lot more people are going to buy this phone for $199 or $99 on sale and just deal with the 16 GB and buy a 64 GB SD card to supplement. Only people like hardcore gamers are going to need a 64 GB SD card AND 32 GB on the device. If they sell the 32 GB variant for $299 or $199 on sale be sure to come back to this forum to see the moaning.

No, it was an idiotic move because they could have offered both variants from the get go. If people who can't afford the higher end model needed a 1520, they could grab the 16 GB. Those that are willing to spend could grab the 32 GB one. They also should not have removed Qi wireless either. And you don't have to be a "hardcore" gamer to eat up the measely 12 GB usable storage of the RM-940. I have the 32 GB internal version with just a handful of new games installed and my usage is already over 17 GB which puts it 5 GB over what the AT&T version can do..pretty pathetic.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
PMA is a ginormous scam perpetrated by babies who didn't want to play with the big boys and are trying to scheme a buck off of advertising to your phone while you simply try to charge it.

PMA powermat from Duracell is the top rated wireless charging mat in this review.

So which technology is better? I don't own any wireless charging accessories so I just want the best. I don't want to rely on stupid microUSB connectors that seem to have a tendency to break.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
No, it was an idiotic move because they could have offered both variants from the get go. If people who can't afford the higher end model needed a 1520, they could grab the 16 GB. Those that are willing to spend could grab the 32 GB one. They also should not have removed Qi wireless either. And you don't have to be a "hardcore" gamer to eat up the measely 12 GB usable storage of the RM-940. I have the 32 GB internal version with just a handful of new games installed and my usage is already over 17 GB which puts it 5 GB over what the AT&T version can do..pretty pathetic.

First of all I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people all over the world who would really appreciate a 16 GB version with a price break. I personally don't know anyone who plays games on their phones. I know one person who has Angry Birds on their for her children to play but that's about it. 16 GB with a 64 GB SD card is more than enough for most people.

It's a product launch. After the Canon EOS M debacle, the Microsoft Surface RT debacle, and the McDonald's chicken wing debacle I would much rather have them do a conservative launch and be a success than have to do millions or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of write downs because they tried to do too much too soon. Regardless of availability the cheaper 16 GB version is going to be the most popular unless the 32 GB version is only $10 more.

You wanted a phablet with quad core and three columns of tiles. MSFT and Nokia delivered. Just wait a few weeks and you will get it in 32 GB. Compared to where we were two years ago the current rate of progress is phenomenal.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First of all I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people all over the world who would really appreciate a 16 GB version with a price break. I personally don't know anyone who plays games on their phones. I know one person who has Angry Birds on their for her children to play but that's about it. 16 GB with a 64 GB SD card is more than enough for most people.

It's a product launch. After the Canon EOS M debacle, the Microsoft Surface RT debacle, and the McDonald's chicken wing debacle I would much rather have them do a conservative launch and be a success than have to do millions or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of write downs because they tried to do too much too soon. Regardless of availability the cheaper 16 GB version is going to be the most popular unless the 32 GB version is only $10 more.

You wanted a phablet with quad core and three columns of tiles. MSFT and Nokia delivered. Just wait a few weeks and you will get it in 32 GB. Compared to where we were two years ago the current rate of progress is phenomenal.

What he said.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Not even saying you are wrong. Built in memory is always better.

But I do not know how much of a deal killer it will be for anyone else. This is aimed at the big time media user, so the 16 GB with however a big SD card you want should offset that.

So long as "other storage" has been fixed, of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)