Anyone else giving Edge a shot as default browser?

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have Chrome browser installed as was using it over IE in Win8.
I have to admit. I like it. I am going to use it 100% of the time over the next few weeks and give it a fair shake as my default.
There are some things that need polished, but I believe MS will sort things out quickly.
I think Windows 10 is great so far. I hope the phone OS 10 is as good.
:grin:

Firipu

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
It's nice, it feels really smooth. But the lack of extensions kills it for me.
I use a lot of mouse gestures when I browse (using Opera). Missing these makes it very slow. An adblock would also be nice :). And using reddit without RES is like torture :)

As soon as they have extensions, and then especially syncing across your devices, I might just switch full time.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes I do. I barely use any extensions (although an ad-blocker would be nice), so I mostly care about speed, stability and the amount of resources that a browser needs. In my experience it's the fastest browser that I have ever seen + it's very stable + it's very lightweight. Besides, I really like the UI.

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Yep, me too. I was using Chrome/Firefox on Windows 8.1 but Edge was one of the things I looked forward to the most in new Windows. And so far I am very pleased! Yes, it still needs some polishing but so far Edge is one of the best browsers I have ever used. Plus with Edge I also gave Bing another shot. I really wonder how that will turn up :)

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
No because I need my extensions (adblock plus, lastpass, paperpile, evernote clipper, disconnect).

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it instead of Chrome (the intensive resource-hog). Still waiting on those bad-*** tab hover previews though. They even demoed it as a feature in the Windows 10 video about Edge!!!!

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded my laptop from 7 to 10 and I'm going 100% with Edge. I've only had it for a couple of days but so far I'm very pleased with what I've seen of it.

The below link tells you how to block ads. Same concept as others have posted, but just a different host file to copy and paste from, I guess. I've done it and so far it seems to be working very well for me in Edge. :smile:
Microsoft Corporation Edge Browser - Here?s How To Block Ads

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've tried using it for our internal wiki. Turns out font rendering in Edge is so bad compared to Google Chrome that it gave my eyes cancer. I've then tried different other websites after that and came to the same conclusion: font rendering is just plain horrible, they look fuzzy and frayed kinda like as if the zoom level was at 98.3%. In Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox fonts are crips and clear, and they are for everything else as well, so it's not a general problem. It's the same in Internet Explorer though so this might actually be a feature instead of a bug, who knows.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I use it ocasionnally, but I primarily use FireFox. Edge is fast, but it offers a rather basic & dull experience. Seems to be the case all around with Windows 10 & 10 Mobile. I love the feel of the OS & I'm excited for what is SUPPOSEDLY coming down the line, but come on, it's 2015 and we were given a barebones OS with the most basic of functionality and nothing truly exciting.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Edge, it's fast and great browser and when Windows 10 mobile is released it will have my history and passwords and stuff synched.
I haven't used Firefox not even to use it for Whatsapp web, I only used it for that but I hope WhatsApp can support Edge soon. I used portable Firefox but still it added crap to the OS, like the default programs thing, it seemed to add it and since it's portable it wouldn't be uninstalled.

So I am on Edge right now and the only problem I have had it's WC comments section crashing Edge from time to time. but I don't see any performance problems or anything. even if I have multiple tabs opened.

And while extensions are not here yet, I still block my ads with host file. doesn't seem to affect anything so I can use it while extensions are available.
The only thing I miss it is that I can't play any video on internet to my tv, I used to play sport streams on my tv if not available it was not easy to find streams compatible from time to time, but it was great feature I hope will be added back soon thanks to extensions. but then, not even apps support playto feature anymore, they have to be updated and use the same thing Win10 videos app use.

anon(9424572)

May 20, 2015
Visit site
When extentions are enabled/added then I'll probably move to Edge - I have Norton Identity Safe & Adblock + so these must work with Edge before I move permanetly.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Edge needs a proper Touch mode that is full screen and acts in a similar manner to the Metro IE browser. Win 10 is not going near my 8 inch Tablet until that happens.

When surfing the web in Win 10 and no full screen touch friendly web browser about 30% of the screen is taken up by taskbars, address bars, tab bars etc.

Why on earth did MS think this was a good idea? I want my small tablet to use as much of it's screen as possible on content not static desktop gui elements.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I officially ditched Edge until the next feature update. Edge is pretty sad and just unacceptable in its current state. I moved back to Firefox and added an Edge-like dark theme. I visited my parents a week after installing Windows 10 on their machine and ended up having to set Internet Explorer as the default browser because my dad couldn't do something as simple as getting the password reset URL for his Kohl's payment account to work in Edge. I'm always hesitant to leave Edge as the default browser when I upgrade some one now, especially when I know they use things that require Java or other add-ons --- for work related tasks. Microsoft really dropped the ball here.

Edge would have been perfectly acceptable if it did everything IE did feature-wise --- but it's a HUGE STEP backwards in terms of features and functionality.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm using it right now as my main browser, but am thinking about switching to something else. I don't use many extensions so that's not an issue, but I don't like the way it handles downloads. When I download a file, I want the opportunity to "Save As" so I can determine where it's downloaded to. When a file is downloading, Edge just shows you the percentage as far as status goes. It doesn't show you the file size or the download speed/rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte