Anyone else have their SP3 overheat?

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought the SP2 the day it was released with the i5, 256gb, and 8gb of ram and never had it overheat and shutdown. I've owned the SP3 for a little over a day and I just had it overheat on my and shut down. I was downloading Command and Conquer 3 from Origin, and playing Asphalt 7 on the metro side. Maybe I'm asking too much of it? I didn't think that was too much for it by any means, I have run photoshop, point of sale, eagle browser, and editing my website, all while having as many tabs open in Chrome as anyone would ever need to have open on the SP2.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Minbe overheated literally within 20 minutes of turning it on after opening it. I was downloading a bunch of apps (restoring all of my apps) and watching a youtube video. The area near the power connector was very hot. It shut right off. I tried to turn back on and got the temperature waRNING. After 5 minutes I turned back on and it has been good since.Was weird.....hope this wont be an issue.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Minbe overheated literally within 20 minutes of turning it on after opening it. I was downloading a bunch of apps (restoring all of my apps) and watching a youtube video. The area near the power connector was very hot. It shut right off. I tried to turn back on and got the temperature waRNING. After 5 minutes I turned back on and it has been good since.Was weird.....hope this wont be an issue.

It's possible that your unit had thermal paste (or something close to it) poorly applied between the CPI and fan. Try getting it exchanged. Almost any computer hardware that has this pre applied sometimes is done poorly in the factory.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that your unit had thermal paste (or something close to it) poorly applied between the CPI and fan. Try getting it exchanged. Almost any computer hardware that has this pre applied sometimes is done poorly in the factory.

Yeah I will give it a spin for a few more days. Might have been a weird glitch. I have played skyrim on med settings for several hours today with no problem. it doesnt get nearly as hot as it when it shut off. got two weeks to return to best buy if need be.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I will give it a spin for a few more days. Might have been a weird glitch. I have played skyrim on med settings for several hours today with no problem. it doesnt get nearly as hot as it when it shut off. got two weeks to return to best buy if need be.

Woah skyrim? What's the frame rates like? I almost bought it on steam but didn't think the surface pro 3 could handle it.

Edit: Sorry totally off topic.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Woah skyrim? What's the frame rates like? I almost bought it on steam but didn't think the surface pro 3 could handle it.

Edit: Sorry totally off topic.

I play skyrim on 1280x1024 on med-high settings and i get 30-40 fps. This is the sweet spot I think. I tweaked most of the settings, increasing textures to high, reflections to high, and view distance to about 75% of the way for all sliders. Overall I am happy. The resolution still looks great on 12'' screen. Def should have grabbed it when it was $5 on steam yesterday. still prob cheap though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes