Anyone gone back to their Lumia?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So... After many issues as detailed in my other thread HERE
I am considering going back to my Lumia 950XL.
I didn't have any of these issues on that phone. Even after two replacement SIM Trays and a replacement phone itself I still am having issues on a regular basis.

I am hesitant because of the larger battery, larger screen, faster processor, fingerprint scanner.
But I am also considering that I do miss the better camera and still somewhat miss glance and double tap to wake (not as much with raise to wake though).

This is going to be a hard decision for me but I may use the Lumia 950XL for a few days and see if I miss the Elite x3 at all.
I wish the issues would just go away and I do wish the camera was better.

Walter Rossi

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Well, I've got my new HP Elite X3 just one week ago, instead of my Lumia 950, and I'm very satisfied.
Great phone, great hardware, great speed. A little bit bigger, but not so big. The camera is worst than Lumia 950, but is good enough for me.
For sure I'll not go back to x50, I'll buy in future, but who knows, the Surface Phone.
Walter from Italy

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I bought one locally today and have played with it for the past 4 hours. I set it up by restoring my 950xl and all the apps loaded, updated and seem to run OK.

I had to change some settings because of the differences between the two phones.

I used the Windows device recovery tool to upgrade to the latest hardware version. I'm now downloading a Technical Preview 10.0.14393.726. I don't plan to start the Insider Fast or Slow for a few days to make sure the phone is stable.

So far I like it better than the 950 xl.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I've bought a new 950 again after trying out a whole lot of android crap including Google pixel, blackberry dtek, Sony Xperia and lg g5. All of them are great hardware but I cant stand android. So picked up a brand new 950 and the dock for C$339 during holidays. Couldn't be happier. Loving the great camera again. I dont even take out my DSLR anymore!!

Sent from mTalk

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Used my 950xl for a few days while I was waiting on the replacement SIM. Device is nice with Glance and camera, but that's about it.. Too small.

After yesterday's firmware update on the X3, I will pull out my 950xl again and take some comparison photos.

Sent from mTalk

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
This has been a tough call for me, as eager as I am to dump my Lumias. If I go to the Alcatel, I get a boost in performance at a reasonable price, but I downgrade the camera, get a smaller screen, and still have unimpressive battery life. If I go to the HP, I get the 6" screen and a massive battery, but take significant losses in the camera department while paying hundreds of dollars more for the "enterprise premium".

I might try to stick it out and see if Surface Phone ever happens, and if it's not at least on the horizon by the end of this year, I'll probably just cut my losses and jump on the next Galaxy Note iteration. I've been with Microsoft's mobile platform since the Windows CE/Pocket PC days, but even a die-hard like me is losing all hope of ever having true current-gen hardware without having to make disappointing compromises.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
This has been a tough call for me, as eager as I am to dump my Lumias. If I go to the Alcatel, I get a boost in performance at a reasonable price, but I downgrade the camera, get a smaller screen, and still have unimpressive battery life. If I go to the HP, I get the 6" screen and a massive battery, but take significant losses in the camera department while paying hundreds of dollars more for the "enterprise premium".

I might try to stick it out and see if Surface Phone ever happens, and if it's not at least on the horizon by the end of this year, I'll probably just cut my losses and jump on the next Galaxy Note iteration. I've been with Microsoft's mobile platform since the Windows CE/Pocket PC days, but even a die-hard like me is losing all hope of ever having true current-gen hardware without having to make disappointing compromises.

Just an FYI: The Alcatel has excellent battery life.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Subjectively, under your usage patterns, maybe so. I've had people tell me that their 950XL gets decent battery life too, and maybe for them it does, but I haven't seen it in my usage. Objectively, placed side by side and tested under the exact same conditions as other phones, every review that I've read places the battery in the average range at best. I understand that there is a strong bias against Windows Phones in the tech media, but they can't all be lying.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Subjectively, under your usage patterns, maybe so. I've had people tell me that their 950XL gets decent battery life too, and maybe for them it does, but I haven't seen it in my usage. Objectively, placed side by side and tested under the exact same conditions as other phones, every review that I've read places the battery in the average range at best. I understand that there is a strong bias against Windows Phones in the tech media, but they can't all be lying.

I never go by those tests. They usually, I believe, are done by playing x amounts of hours of music or videos. That's not real life usage. All I know is I've owned 6-8 different phones over the last couple years of multiple makes and models. The Alcatel is right up there with the best with my usage, so yes that's subjective which is all I'm interested in.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am starting to get tired of the issues I have been having lately... So I am going to use my "old" Lumia 950XL for the weekend and see how it goes. If everything goes well then the Elite X3 will be going bye bye.
I do like the form factor and the fingerprint scanner. We will see if I notice a big downgrade in performance. I am just getting to the point of ultimate frustration.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Reading this, I wondered how much "better" the camera was on my 950xl. I don't want to flood the forum with pictures, but I'll provide links.

I took pictures of an oil painting my great-great grandmother did around 1870. The pictures were taken without flash in the evening with my 950xl, X3, One M8, and Galaxy S6. If I can, I'll see if my son can take one with his IPhone SE.

First the 950xl: http://gdurl.com/IN3a

Then the Elite X3: http://gdurl.com/4g-q

The Galaxy S6: http://gdurl.com/rAXT

The HTC One M8 running Windows 8.1: http://gdurl.com/Pmup

What jumps out at me is that the 950xl is "warmer" in the colors. I'm not sure I can change that setting in the X3. The One M8 is terrible compared to the others. I think the X3 camera is now more-or-less up to par with the others.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
The x3 is a great phone but needs fine tuning, most notably with the camera and screen brightness. These weaknesses aren't necessarily deal breakers, but makes it hard to keep the 950 XL in the rear view mirror.

It appears that the camera issues are software related not hardware. HP needs to figure out a way to warm up the images, increase the sharpness and tweak the metering. I think the auto-brightness can be improved with a software fix as well.

On the plus side, the x3's shortcomings reminds me how good the 950 XL is. On the downside, it is becoming harder to justify keeping the x3.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but just to keep everything up to date in here as well.

Been using the Lumia 950XL since Friday. Let me say... It's been quite pleasant surprisingly...
The Camera is phenomenal (rear that is, front without flash is terrible at night) I can't believe the difference from a 950XL to the Elite is that big I was totally giving the x3 more credit than it was due.
Battery life, well although the battery is smaller in the 950XL has hasn't been really killing me yet, we will see over the next couple days when I am actually working and not relaxing or going out.
I do miss the fingerprint scanner but with dttw and the iris scanner working pretty damn good it hasn't been too bad. The size isn't terrible but I do miss the phablet size of the x3.
Performance wise it may be slightly slower but not hugely noticeable.
I'm going to stick with the 950XL for a few more days and see if I get the itch to go back to the x3.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've gone back to my x3 again. my 128gb card seems to do fine lately, not sure what changed (except the latest Fast Ring update, coincidence?) The 950XL is a great phone with (in my usercase) too little stamina. It also runs pretty hot and has a dodgy bluetooth connection with my Urbanears BT headset, which drains the battery significantly. I would actually love to get my hands on the Alcatel Idol but by the time they release that phone over here in the Netherlands, I'm not sure if its aged too much already to justify the price tag... Not to mention the support. Broke my heart after HTC decided not to support the M8 into the RS2 device tree. I rather see HP release a smaller formfactor of the x3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria