Anyone have the Samsung 256GB EVO Select microSDXC Memory Card

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a PNY U3 (similar in speeds to the Samsung U3 card you linked to) 32GB card on my 950 XL and it works fine for 4K video and regular tasks.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a PNY U3 (similar in speeds to the Samsung U3 card you linked to) 32GB card on my 950 XL and it works fine for 4K video and regular tasks.

Thanks, I am really interested in how well the 950XL takes advantage of the speed. I have been recording at 1080P with my current card, it will be nice to switch to 4k.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested as well, LOTS of lag doing things like writing maps, music, pics, considering this, and a cheaper (about 99) Lexar card, with close to the same write perf.
I'm curious to see if anyone has proven one of these faster cards too, if they actually help and run at U3 speeds. My experience with USB on the 950XL has been abysmal, but most has been to my card, which performs at about 90/25-35, in a reader.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a Lexar 633x which failed in 10 days so no more Lexars for me. The 633x has comparable read speeds but write speeds are abysmal for 4K video recording. In general, the SD card association recommends U3 speeds for 4K video recording. While the XL and the last Gen 1520 supports U3 cards there is no way to do benchmark the card from the within the phone. I usually benchmark the card on my laptop and as long as the write speeds are above 40 MB/s I use it for 4K video. I have a U1 Samsung Evo that gives me a consistent 45 MB/s and I have recorded 4K video on it without issues though it does get filled up pretty fast.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That's the Lexar card I was looking at, bummer.

It almost seems like you can't buy a "really good" microSD card these days, there doesn't seem to be any QA at all, even for the pricey cards...

-pete

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
^^ I agree with you pete, all my Lexar 633x 128GB are giving me problems in ALL my devices (lumia 950xl, Surface pro 3 and android phone) especially in my SP3 where if I download anything TO THE CARD or I try to unzip anything its sooooooo slow... not happy with any of these bigger cards and I can bet these 256GB cards have all types of trouble, from write speeds to data corruption to non working cards...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ I agree with you pete, all my Lexar 633x 128GB are giving me problems in ALL my devices (lumia 950xl, Surface pro 3 and android phone) especially in my SP3 where if I download anything TO THE CARD or I try to unzip anything its sooooooo slow... not happy with any of these bigger cards and I can bet these 256GB cards have all types of trouble, from write speeds to data corruption to non working cards...

Go with a trusted brand and you should be fine. Though higher capacity cards are rated slow. I have seen Samsung, PNY and Sandisk cards as being the most reliable than other brands out there. At any given time I would recommend Samsung.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
well Lexar is a trusted brand.... no? and the one I have is pretty slow...also the one in my SP3 is a Samsung evo+ 128GB but its a U1 and I find I'm having trouble with it... perhaps it might be the card slot in my SP3 that is starting to go... but now I'm getting error pops up and windows needs to repair it blah blah blah... I just think all these big memory capacity cards are not good...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
well Lexar is a trusted brand.... no? and the one I have is pretty slow...also the one in my SP3 is a Samsung evo+ 128GB but its a U1 and I find I'm having trouble with it... perhaps it might be the card slot in my SP3 that is starting to go... but now I'm getting error pops up and windows needs to repair it blah blah blah... I just think all these big memory capacity cards are not good...

Yeah, I'd say Lexar was a trusted brand too, I've never had a single issue with any of their multiple cards I've owned, even the bleeding-edge at the time variety.
I put them pretty much in line with Sandisk and Samsung, but that's my experience, others may have slightly differing ones.

That Windows "needs to be repaired" popup is bogus, I'm pretty sure. Try putting the card back into your phone, and give it a few minutes to index things. Then, back into your PC, it'll be "corrupt" again, I'd be willing to bet.
I went through the whole backup/reformat mess one time with this, before noticing that it just got "re-corrupted". This was two different cards too, I bought a new one after going one round.
I upvoted the report on it, there's one with a lot of votes.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
All I have seen is complaints about Lexars. Most comments point that they work fine with the GoPro models but for cell phones and PCs/Laptop they always get corrupted. Either way I am staying away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wopkof