Anyone notice 8 column start screen in Project Astoria video from MS?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
NHfImeY.png

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Nice spot, looks like a 930/icon too, so not a huge screen size.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

EDIT: Looking again the corners aren't rounded enough to be a 930.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think it's going to be good on 5" too, maybe smaller.

On my 920's 720p screen, the gap is currently 19 pixels between tiles and a 21 pixel border around the tile area to the edge of the screen. Across the screen, that's 137 pixels of empty space across 6 mini squares. Once that gap is reduced, you don't have to scale down the tiles all that much to fit the new grid.

PS I hate myself for pressing Play on that screenshot

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No, columns. It'll make 14 rows of the smallest square, and 8 columns.

Exactly, people seem to get confused between columns and rows. I remember when WP 8.1 was shown off with the third column (based on medium tile size) and people were stating it had a third row of tiles!!!

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This looks pretty good actually, will look even better on the new 5.2 and 5.7 inch displays. My Lumia 930 cannot wait next week (hopefully)

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Saw this in another video where they demoed continuum. Looks pretty good. Can't wait till windows 10 drops.
Off topic: How I wish Microsoft would put swipe keyboard in Windows 10 tablet mode.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The closer tile arrangement is starting to look a bit better. In that screenshot it's looking more like 'classic' WP (something I really hope Microsoft doesn't leave behind).
The 4-column arrangement isn't something I'd use on my 1020, the 3-column layout is just the right size, but I imagine this would be useful for phablet owners.

Taube2

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
This kind of start screen layout (4 medium tiles per row, less space between tiles) can be seen in a number of demos and slides from build. Seems like they want to make better use of the screen real estate on phones. I guess that this specific layout will be available on larger phones only, but maybe the smaller ones will have the narrow spaces between tiles as well (but only 3 medium tiles per row). I wonder if the desktop version of Windows 10 will have that as well, so far we haven't seen this new layout on the desktop. Considering that Belfiore described the demoed start menu on desktop as near-final, I don't think it will change much.

Keep in mind that the start screen on phones is probably still more of a work in progress than the desktop start menu. For example, the tile grouping feature that is available on the desktop is not implemented yet (it was included in all of the official mockups we have seen so far).

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Definetly a 1520... see the size of those buttons.

1520 has camera on left side. 930/icon/830 have on the right side but also have a Nokia logo to the right of the camera. There's also no sensor on the left. It seems like something else. My bros 925 has a left side camera and a sensor on the right, but doesn't look like that for sure. No idea what that is.

Nevermind the right side is an at&t logo hehe. May be a 1520 after all

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Proof that you don't need to cut the tile size too much:

As I said earlier, on the current TP build, on my Lumia 920 there's a 21-pixel gap all around the tiled area to the edge of the screen and there's 19-pixel gap between tiles. On a 6-column layout, that means the gaps are 21+19+19+19+19+19+21 = 137 pixels out of 768, which is huge.

I took one of my old screenshots to demonstrate the change in tile size if you maintain exactly the same gutter between the tiled area and the screen edge, but instead cut the inter-tile gap to 5 pixels. I darkened the screenshot to make the new shapes stand out more clearly. Once I'd shrunk the tiles to fit 8 of them across the screen, this is how they look:

8column.jpg

As you can see, the difference between the size of the old small square tile and the new one is very small indeed. If I had made the gutter around the edge smaller and/or used a 3- or 4-pixel gap between tiles, the new tiles would have been a touch bigger and thus the difference would be a touch smaller again. I think any phone that is currently displaying a 6-column layout now ought to be able to handle an 8-column one without any problems at all.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo