App situation is improving rapidly!

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
This is agree. The app situation is definitely improving. And I have to say, Nokia is doing a tremendous job. Yeah, Nokia, not Microsoft. Lol.

But however, not being a hater or what, there are still some apps that needs to be here. The minor but still important nonetheless. Like local banking apps for example.

Other than that, I actually don't have much apps that I miss at all.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's still going to be a chicken and egg thing - it's not just the Major apps. It's the apps people use from companies like USAA, your local credit union or bank, your grocery store, your sports team (How many team apps are there for any of the major sports - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL - right now I think the answer is none. As long as Windows Phone lingers at 3-5% the use base is not large enough for these corporations to spend money to build and support an app for this platform. I would be lost without my banking, grocery (user loyalty), and sports apps on my phone. From this perspective, the app story on Windows Phone has not changed at all. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of sports fans here that follow their home town team long distance.
That also depends on the user.

There is an app for Cinemark theatres called Cinemode (Android/iOS only). It gives a "reward" for not texting during a movie.

I remember thinking I'd really like this app for Windows Phone.

Well, my friend has an Android. We'd go to the movies, and he'd use the Cinemode app. Trouble was, the rewards expired so quickly that he never got to get his cheap popcorn once. He ended up deleting the app.

If someone goes to the movies more than once a week, the app might be nice, but for someone who goes once or twice a month it's worthless.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The more official apps get released, the less I'm satisfied with the quality in comparison to other platforms. That's the problem I have at the moment.

Maybe the example is getting old, but because of the very limited Spotify app (and the famous other storage bug which eats away my storage for offline music) I decided today to buy either an Android tablet or an iPad just for music. Before the app was released as official out of beta I have never tried it, and hence I didn't know what I've missed.

The idea should be, that more apps should let us gravitate towards the platform and the ecosystem, not away from it to alternatives. But hopefully quality is just the next step, from my side WP still has another year until I buy a new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99