Are we as windows mobile users too tolerant or too intolerant?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On the one hand we have individuals like myself who just shrug at the minor things like a restart once in a while or where a tiny bug affects our phone experience by 0.1% and on the other hand we have those who , for lack of a better word, whine at every small thing,

I get that the small bugs can be annoying and we raise feedback on them and hope that we get them fixed. we're quite tolerant of these small bugs that don't affect overall performance

Bu what about the major ones? The ones where we are forced to a do a whole system wipe out and start afresh? Or where our devices actually break down? Or where things just stop working and the repair or replacement is time consuming and costly

I've read of numerous people who's phones died when upgrading, hardware failed like camera during upgrade, wifi won't work, phone won't start etc. Are we also tolerant on these major issues? Should we be patient about these issues when they seriously affect us? Or is it that it affects less than 0.01% of the total windows mobile users and so we don't care about it?

There are people who have spent their hard earned money getting that new 950 and have had the thing just die or break down. What do you tell them?

I think we need to focus more on the bigger issues and less on the smaller ones that don't affect us so much.

What do you think?

Share your thoughts below

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll say I still have tolerance for Windows bugs as a senior geek.
Initially I shrugged off all the Windows phone trash talk with undying love for the platform and became an armored user.
Wanting much more out of a phone I reluctantly realized that perhaps going dual platform would fill in until WP started rolling like a juggernaut.

I've always considered WP an adventure in mobile tech for low cost.
Any deficits where simply part of the road I thought would lead to the pinnacle.
I was trusting that Microsoft would break through and scoop up more and more non-smartphone users.
That train of thought lasted about three years.

Of the phones I've owned in the last 4 years I've had to or wanted to hard reset my Windows phones more often than any other mobile device.
The factory resets were happening so often I quickly became a unqualified expert.
All Windows phone users should become very familiar with WDRT (Windows Device Recovery Tool)
WDRT is just part of the adventure.

I have 3 other phones on a differing platform that I've never factory reset and one of them is 2 years old.

More power to the adventurous!

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Small issues do bother me. I absolutely hate when my phone reboots randomly, even if it's just 3 times a week, because it happens when I'm using it. If it's being used, of course I'll be very annoyed. I'm in the middle of something (like a text, or posting something and bam! Crash and reboot, mothafocka. Not to mention that sometimes I lose the open tabs I had on Edge, having to search them on the history.

The worse word recognition bothers me too. Both my English and Portuguese keyboards are much less accurate. Even good old WP8.0 was waaay better.

Shorter battery life - Less than one day of moderate use is not acceptable for me. Somehow I feel it can get better than this.

The worse store experience, at least in my opinion, like hiding the last time an app was updated? Really?!

So maybe I'm not so tolerant. But then again, an update is not supposed to break things and take forever to fix them (Remember Xbox Music after WP8.1? Yeah...) and remove good ones (I'm looking at you, built-in QR code scanner) Interestingly, the app gap stopped being a problem for me for a long time now - I have all apps I need. But the other stuff is the major issue for me: MS slowness in addressing problems. Makes me wonder if people working in the mobile front in fact use their own phones. I've sent them multiple feedbacks and hope most of the issues are ironed out with Redstone. If not... Well, maybe that's where "mobile is not our focus this year" comes in, in which case I'll really look to leave WM, as much as I like it and got used to it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Small issues do bother me. I absolutely hate when my phone reboots randomly, even if it's just 3 times a week, because it happens when I'm using it. If it's being used, of course I'll be very annoyed. I'm in the middle of something (like a text, or posting something and bam! Crash and reboot, mothafocka. Not to mention that sometimes I lose the open tabs I had on Edge, having to search them on the history.

Just three times a week sounds nuts! lol I would be so tired of that, I have to give you props.

That aside, I do think that we are too tolerant. Advice such as "you should hard reset" or "did you do a hard reset?" for some things is so common as advice around the forums. I was telling my brother about this on the forums and he was shocked.

We are willing to fight with apps that keep crashing in the name of using the apps (I'm not excluding myself here). App crashes happen sometimes of course, but I feel like we are just more likely to deal over people who use the other two big ones. On the flip side of this, having that happen really makes you appreciate developers willing to fix this OR reduce this as much as possible out the gate.

Saad Rashid

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Being a great admirer of wp 8.1 and Lumia 1020, I upgraded to Lumia 950 xl 1.5 months ago (Only because 1020 got stolen)
In my country its hard to earn money and owning such expensive phones is not easy. Only I can understand what It took me to save the money for a new phone. And after 1.5 months and one official update of OS, things are getting really bad here.
I've been silent reader of this blog/forum since long and have been reading a lot of posts/comments regarding how the w10m is getting better. But now I have lost all the hopes and sometimes it makes me sad to have invested in this phone.
I've had horrible experience previously with insider previews so this time I am being reluctant to signup for one as any issue I would report people would say that you opt for beta version so you can't complaint. These two official builds .318 & .420 are the worst ever I have ever experienced in a phone.
My experience now makes me look at other people's android phones with some kind of jealousy. ( phones that are even two years old )
I can't make fun of the androids now by calling them "Lagdroids" any more because I have "BUGindows" in my pocket.
The most frustrating thing is that most of the times when someone is trying to ask help for problems about their phones here, some people start saying that they lie or are paid android/ios fans

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Being a great admirer of wp 8.1 and Lumia 1020, I upgraded to Lumia 950 xl 1.5 months ago (Only because 1020 got stolen)
In my country its hard to earn money and owning such expensive phones is not easy. Only I can understand what It took me to save the money for a new phone. And after 1.5 months and one official update of OS, things are getting really bad here.
I've been silent reader of this blog/forum since long and have been reading a lot of posts/comments regarding how the w10m is getting better. But now I have lost all the hopes and sometimes it makes me sad to have invested in this phone.
I've had horrible experience previously with insider previews so this time I am being reluctant to signup for one as any issue I would report people would say that you opt for beta version so you can't complaint. These two official builds .318 & .420 are the worst ever I have ever experienced in a phone.
My experience now makes me look at other people's android phones with some kind of jealousy. ( phones that are even two years old )
I can't make fun of the androids now by calling them "Lagdroids" any more because I have "BUGindows" in my pocket.
The most frustrating thing is that most of the times when someone is trying to ask help for problems about their phones here, some people start saying that they lie or are paid android/ios fans

you too? My 1020 got stolen 5 weeks ago - and Ihaven't boguth anything because as you have put it so well, getting such expensive phones isnt easy

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Just three times a week sounds nuts! lol I would be so tired of that, I have to give you props.

That aside, I do think that we are too tolerant. Advice such as "you should hard reset" or "did you do a hard reset?" for some things is so common as advice around the forums. I was telling my brother about this on the forums and he was shocked.

We are willing to fight with apps that keep crashing in the name of using the apps (I'm not excluding myself here). App crashes happen sometimes of course, but I feel like we are just more likely to deal over people who use the other two big ones. On the flip side of this, having that happen really makes you appreciate developers willing to fix this OR reduce this as much as possible out the gate.

Agreed. I guess I did more hard resets since installing W10M than all my former phones running WP8/8.1 put together, (not slow or fast ring builds). Still, battery life, performance and overall reliability have been inconsistent. Issues happen - I've noticed that iOS has issues each release, for example, but Apple doesn't take ages to fix them.

I also agree about the apps. I'd add that It seems that we are willing to live with the crashes and slowness in poorly developed apps (resuming... loading...) in the name of a good UI - honestly, for me it's the only area where WM still truly excels nowadays; everything else can be found on other platforms now: Double tap to wake/sleep, Glance screen capabilities, good cameras, well-designed phones, smooth performance, MS apps, Cortana (not to mention it still not available in lots of places), etc. I really want to keep my 930, but these random crashes really push me over the edge sometimes.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
On February I bought a Windows phone for the first time in my life. Yes, I knew it's a sinking platform. Yes, I knew about the app gap, sort of. But the 535 was affordable and unmatched as far as specs go in this price segment. So I loved it and bought it. The magic number was "5": 5 MPx front-facing camera and 5-inch screen.

I like my phone and am on the "tolerant" side. I'm usually extremely patient but also I know Windows 10 is always a work in progress, so I expect any bug to be fixed in the next release, and as a non-insider I always know such bug could be fixed next month. That's more than what I can say about my previous phones, both Sony XPeria (Android) phones. I've received only a couple of OS updates (I think it was one for each phone, to be honest) and not more than five firmware updates. To be fair, I haven't noticed any serios bug on those phones but if there were one, I don't think it would have been fixed in less than six months. Now that I've moved to Windows, it seems Android devices are getting monthly updates too :O

The most serious bug that bothered me from some times was the one that made language pack downloads impossible but it's been fixed. Rather than bugs, what bothers me most is the removal of some interesting features. You know that the Maps app on Windows Phone 8.1 showed all all non-secure (open) Wi-Fi networks in an area. Windows 10 removed that feature just like they are doing now with the FM Radio (!) and Wi-Fi Sense.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
On February I bought a Windows phone for the first time in my life. Yes, I knew it's a sinking platform. Yes, I knew about the app gap, sort of. But the 535 was affordable and unmatched as far as specs go in this price segment. So I loved it and bought it. The magic number was "5": 5 MPx front-facing camera and 5-inch screen.
Windows 10 removed that feature just like they are doing now with the FM Radio (!) and Wi-Fi Sense.

Wi-Fi sense is now Data Sense.

And 535Ds still have sensitive touch issue in 2015 models.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that these kinds of issues only exist on Windows Phones. People have the same kinds of issues with Android and Apple devices as well.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Wi-Fi sense is now Data Sense.

And 535Ds still have sensitive touch issue in 2015 models.

?Mine is a 535.3 Single SIM. I haven't excperienced touch issues on my phone even though I've read reports about such issues on both single-SIM and DS. But to clarify a litle, I'm a bit paranoid about my phone's safety so I've uput a protective glass on the screen on day 1, and it's been suggested that protective glass solves the touch problems.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Bugs and hardware. Mmm m

Like Gintan, the minor niggly little bugs can be tolerated. The one's I struggle to understand is when hardware etc decides not to play ball. MS/Nokia had / have full reign over the hardware in many, many devices. The OS is obviously coded with these variables in mind and firmware handles the actual hardware. I dont understand when people say I installed xyz and my camera etc stopped, when it hasn't been reported by any other party. I realise that there will be those instances when this could happen, but on a release OS, I can't understand it. I do if its an insider build, as we all know these are unfinished.

Reboots and the like. Your device is highly customizable by using apps, music on SD cards screen layouts, settings etc.
When people post about how they needed to HR and its MS's fault, I always chuckle because, again, they are invariably on insider, with the rare occurrence on a release build. At some point in time we all need to HR to tidy up a bit. There are many many threads from people with issues after installing an insider build, shouting that this or that doesn't work, and miraculously, after an HR, all is good. I would probably advise that an HR is done after AU arrives, because it is quite a step up from Threshold.

The other issue, which seems to be more prevalent on these boards, is the infamous troll brigade.

If you were looking to dip your toes in the W10M waters after getting fed up with the other's, and you do your research, the first thing you are going to do (hopefully) is visit forums etc. If you visit here, you are going to run a mile after seeing some of the childish behaviour and horrid vitriol thrown around the comments threads for the news items.

Most people know my views on it, and I get a bit tired of people criticizing, rather than helping.

Anyways, back on topic...lol I can Live with the odd reboot, bug or issue, as long as I can continue being an individual and keep W10M my dirty little secret. I like being a member of the underdog club. I'm English, and we love an underdog!!!! ;-)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
All I can say is; if a Driverless Car can be programmed to NOT KILL YOU, then making a reliable phone shouldn't be all that insurmountable for a company that has been around since the beginning of writing computer code; and we really shouldn't have to deal with any bugs on a post development product (unless on insider). I know that I stick with Microsoft because they have ALWAYS impressed me as helping when it's needed (for the most part), as opposed to not giving a crap and just looking you capitalize on a user's misfortune. I "KNOW" that if they ever adopted the later, I would BOLT. I like an "anything" that stands behind their word/product/service/etc.; and will NOT do business (more than once) with an anything that doesn't.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I mean all phones have bugs don't they? We're just not over on android or ios forums reading them.

I mean just the other day my Facebook app froze and my girlfriend was like "that happens to me all the time too. I have to reboot my phone to get it working again". She has a iphone6.

Soooo I guess it depends on how you're looking at.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by mtf1380
All I can say is; if a Driverless Car can be programmed to NOT KILL YOU, then making a reliable phone shouldn't be all that insurmountable for a company that has been around since the beginning of writing computer code; and we really shouldn't have to deal with any bugs on a post development product (unless on insider). I know that I stick with Microsoft because they have ALWAYS impressed me as helping when it's needed (for the most part), as opposed to not giving a crap and just looking you capitalize on a user's misfortune. I "KNOW" that if they ever adopted the later, I would BOLT. I like an "anything" that stands behind their word/product/service/etc.; and will NOT do business (more than once) with an anything that doesn't.

Ask Tesla about driverless technology. They had an issue just lately, rather big crash.

Originally posted by ttsoldier
I mean all phones have bugs don't they? We're just not over on android or ios forums reading them.

I mean just the other day my Facebook app froze and my girlfriend was like "that happens to me all the time too. I have to reboot my phone to get it working again". She has a iphone6.

Soooo I guess it depends on how you're looking at.

A lot of the issues these days, on ANY platform, is apps crashing, and I'm not sure how that could be the fault of the OS. I have had twitter crash on my iPad, yet not on my 950xl. I've had a mobile payment app refuse on the iPad in my taxi, I've had the Natwest app crash on iOS, yet on my 950xl it has never crashed. I've had issues on my phone with the F1 app, Sky football score app ( although its been a while since an update ).

As for actual OS failures, its been a while. My last crash on insider RS1 was a long time ago. Again my iOS hasn't crashed, yet my Galaxy tab was a pig, until I, along with a couple of the echo rom team cooked something for it. The most reliable OS I use is linux in opensuse form. Love it. Arch kitchen runs great on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Ask Tesla about driverless technology. They had an issue just lately, rather big crash.

Actually Tesla's "official" stand (I believe) is that their car's have a "driver assist feature"; but never the less nothing is perfect. Also, for the record, I don't consider neither AU, nor auto piloted cars, a post development product;) ...yet!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the issues these days, on ANY platform, is apps crashing, and I'm not sure how that could be the fault of the OS. I have had twitter crash on my iPad, yet not on my 950xl. I've had a mobile payment app refuse on the iPad in my taxi, I've had the Natwest app crash on iOS, yet on my 950xl it has never crashed. I've had issues on my phone with the F1 app, Sky football score app ( although its been a while since an update ).

As for actual OS failures, its been a while. My last crash on insider RS1 was a long time ago. Again my iOS hasn't crashed, yet my Galaxy tab was a pig, until I, along with a couple of the echo rom team cooked something for it. The most reliable OS I use is linux in opensuse form. Love it. Arch kitchen runs great on it.

I even made a thread once about that. Is it the OS fault or the App Developer fault?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...preview/429524-windows-10-app-developers.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb