Are we heading straight to Windows Phone's official Funeral ?

SpO BoB

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The last news about GS8 made me and i guess a decent part angry or disappointed, Mircosoft has been doing so weird stuff, their apps are far better on Android/iOS, releases more updates to them, then to its own platform, now a "So-Called" S8 MS version ? Only because it is preloaded with some MS apps :D? C'mon!!

If that S8 had an Actual Microsoft version running windows 10, It would have been Great, but now, i'm too scared from MS cancelling the surface phone for no reason, or at least come with many disappointments :/ , The Good Old "King_NOKIA" is back with android, MS must consider some huge changes to save up the Mobile Ecosystem, I'm a loyal Windows Fan, and not planning to leave the system at all, but It is painful seeing many move to other systems, instead of fixing it, just giving up on it and move to another system :/

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
windows-phone-funeral-1.jpg

I'll say the hardware end of WM is almost in the grave unless a new offering jumps out and surprises us all.
The OS will most likely never die unless there are zero users.

Don't forget there are people out there still using Palm OS, BBOS and Symbian.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Windows Mobile is dead in its current incarnation. Microsoft doesn't want to have a business that bleeds money. I am sure they have another plan, but for the time being Microsoft cannot be successful in the mobile phone business. When the Surface Phone comes, it will not be a direct competitor of the classic smartphone as we know it. If it were, then it would have to have a very good apps ecosystem. Windows UWP apps are not there yet and maybe they will never be. Microsoft waits until technology is good enough to allow them to change the game..

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It would be about time probably? I've been hearing about Windows phone OS' demise since I joined the platform in 2012. Much like the rumored 1020 successor, it has never come to pass.

While I have moved on to Android, I hope MS can save W10M and help it regain lost market-share.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Watching the hardware market implode is not fun. Considering MS' have themselves given up on Windows phone hardware, it's hard to blame anyone for doing the same though. People aren't just "giving up" on Windows phones. They have justified reasons for their vote of no confidence.

Even on this site though, far too many people can't differ between Windows phones (the hardware) going away and Windows Mobile (the OS) going away.

Statements like "Windows Mobile is dead" are just plain wrong. Over the last year, W10M has received more updates than WP7 and WP8 have over their lifetimes... combined. Though we shouldn't blindly believe MS when execs say they are committed to W10M, they are at least putting their money behind that statement. Those updates require a serious financial commitment. MS is not a company that throws good money after bad. MS would have most definately axed W10M by now if they did not have a specific role in mind for it to play. Nothing is forever, but W10M will be around for at least as long as it takes MS to test whether W10M can find success in that new role (whatever it is).

How long will it take MS to complete that test? I don't know. Anything earlier that 2020 seems unlikely to me. W10M will be with us for at least until that test is complete.

Windows phones, the hardware, is a different story. Saving that will require a herculean effort by the fan base. Nobody else, least of all MS, is going to help with that.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)