Are you planning on using the new ebook feature in Edge?

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I checked out the new ebook feature in Microsoft Edge that came with the Creator's Update---even purchased one of the $1.99 titles from the Windows store to do so. It looks good albeit Spartan; e.g., there's no highlighting, annotation or sharing features. Read Aloud, along with the ability to highlight and copy passages (as with most Windows applications, but not exactly working with the Kindle desktop app) and paste into other apps, is nice.

But my main objection to it is that it is not cross-platform; it only works on Windows 10 PC and Mobile (with the Creator's Update installed). If this came 2-3 years ago when I was fully committed to Windows and Windows phone and there never was a Nook app for the latter, I might have considered it especially since the Kindle Windows mobile app is buggy and the Kindle Desktop app isn't the greatest for touch (no page turning animations, for example). Yet Edge is not available for Android or iOS, and I do not want to lock myself into Windows 10 Mobile given the uncertainty about its future. (I spend 80% of the time reading books on large-screen phone and 20% on Surface.)

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or are you seriously considering using Edge's e-book feature?

SageSage456

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't see myself using the eBook feature in Edge. When I am on the PC, reading a book is not something I do. It seems to be that I am tied to this chair and it gets old fast. I tried using my phone to read on the Metro and it is just too small for these old eyes. I use my Nook all the time and that is the best platform for me.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Change of subject, a little, but, I can't find Kindle app in store. Has that just another app discontinued for W10? I looked at Windows Store and the book I was looking for wasn't listed either. lol I can't win.

update: You can d/l kindle pc app directly from Amazon. Works fine. I wish MS's store had the book, I'd like to try edge.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I gave it a try too and found it pretty lackluster. Books selection is limited (forgivable because it's brand new), no sync across devices, no way to import my own books and track my progress. I can't see why they just didn't make it a stand alone app. Now I have to wait until they update Edge to get any updates to the books part of it too. I am baffled why they made it this way.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I agree this is a Spartan first try. Time will tell.

Beyond the technology, it's curious that Microsoft is going head to head with Amazon on content/catalog, market, and book distribution. A daunting task. And in the consumer domain. Curious!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if Microsoft set up an OverDrive like service where we can rent ebooks instead of buying them. Otherwise, it's a bit late to commit to another walled garden.

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I suppose after the Education/Windows 10 S event, having the ability to purchase ebooks from the Windows Store and read them in Edge makes more sense as to why Microsoft released this feature. Students are going to have to acquire and read ebooks somehow, especially if the Kindle app doesn't come back to the Windows Store!

But it seems rather forced. I would much rather stay in a thriving ereading ecosystem like Amazon Kindle that works across all devices (except Windows 10 S devices at the moment).

jsham1963

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
i tries an e-book in edge, and it works ok. But one issue I had is that I used it first in an area without wifi. When I used it in wifi all of my bookmarks were gone. If that is normal behavior it would make it useless to me, as I will use it an an e-reader in areas with and without wifi, since the e-books from the MS Store only work in Edge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss